Looking for a wooden case for my flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for a wooden case for my flute

Post by matahari_1946 »

I have a new flute on order and the maker does not include a case. Can anyone suggest where to find a good wood case? It's a 6-key Rudall.

Thanks!
~Tiff
~Tiff
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

www.fine-boxes.com

I'm seriously tempted to have Andrew make me a case for my new flute...but I guess they're pricey.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Wow, he does gorgeous work. I think that may be a bit too pricey for me, however. But I'll send him an e-mail and ask about it. Any other ideas?

~Tiff
~Tiff
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Terry McGee makes wooden boxes, as far as I know even for flutes not made by him. IIRC, Doc Jones has one for sale in the Irish Flute Store. Hammy Hamilton distributes the Northwind Flute Case, but it's primarily supposed for holding pratten flutes, but a Rudall might fit also when keeping the two middle joints together. Another (much cheaper) option is a aluminium camera or pistol case as they sell them on ebay and some DIY shops. They don't look that classy though.
Levente
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

looking for a wooden case for my flute

Post by Levente »

Here is the link of the maker of Northwind cases:

http://www.northwindcases.com/.

On the site they offer customizing. I have one that came along with my Hammy. Great in every respect (stability, workmanship, price - and size). And I'm also considering ordering a second one for my new Aebi RR. But I'm still not sure if I'll go for a customized one from the maker or simply buy one from Hammy and alter the fitting and lining myself.

By the way, what do we think of the way RR flutes are usually kept in the case: foot and RH section left assembled. Isn't it supposed to be harmful? Any experience?

Cheers,

Levente
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have several friends who have reworked the innards of a standard modern flute case to accommodate a keyed wooden flute.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

There is someone who makes custom boxes for flutes... you put the instrument on a copier and copy it at 100%, send the result to them with a check, and they send you a custom-fit box. sadly, I've lost the bookmark.
William Bajzek
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

eskin wrote:I have several friends who have reworked the innards of a standard modern flute case to accommodate a keyed wooden flute.
Years ago, I had a girlfriend who made a rosewood case for my Boehm, but my eight-key won't fit. There is room for two rows of flute in the box, but the sections (mine is in 5) cannot be combined in a configuration that gets them all in. Just something to be aware of.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

What flute are you getting Tiff? Still enjoying the Lehart? :)
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

What flute are you getting Tiff? Still enjoying the Lehart? :)
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks, everyone, for the replies! I'm looking in to all the different options. I'd love to have one of those beautiful custom boxes from that guy in the UK but I'm afraid of the cost.

Ben, I am loving the Lehart which is why my new flute is a Lehart. :party: Since I use piper's grip I can't make the LH Bb key work consistently and I've found that I need to use it every so often. This is the best flute I've played and so I've got one ordered with a RH Bb which means the one with the LH Bb will be on the market soon. :D Is your Grinter done yet?

~Tiff
~Tiff
daiv

Post by daiv »

i have one of these http://www.finecases.com/browse/protec/protec-1225.html which i converted to hold my antique flute.

i took out all the screws, ripped off the fabric and then cut the styrofoam inside to fit the flute. all in all it took a couple hours. i couldve spent a lot more time, fitting cardboard or wood inside to make the space between the joints, but instead i just put pieces of bunched up fabric between the headjoint and the footjoint and the two midjoints, which works well. best part of that is that i can still fit my silver flute with wooden headjoint in the case and all i have to do is change the fabric wads inside.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I had the same problem. What works great and is farly cheap is a gun case. Go to K-mart or another simular store and check out the gun cases...they are hard plastic with egg crate foam inside.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle