Simple food tricks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Simple food tricks

Post by peeplj »

Ok, here's my favorite:

When doing hot dogs, toast the buns in the broiler for about a minute while you boil the franks.

Turns a mediocre lunch into something really really good.

What's your favorite "trick" with food? I'm thinking in terms of things so simple and obvious that they are easy to overlook...like toasting the buns, or another favorite of mine is placing a few potato chips (crisps, for our friends across the pond) on a cheese sandwich to give it a bit of crunch.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

When you have a hangover and need a beer in the morning to combat it...chug half of it, then fill it up with tomato juice...ZING!!! :o

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

When I made BLTs I use to toast the bread in the bacon fat in the pan.
My wife does not allow me to do that anymore.

(Boiled franks?)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I.D.10-t wrote:When I made BLTs I use to toast the bread in the bacon fat in the pan.
My wife does not allow me to do that anymore.

(Boiled franks?)

The technical term for that is "frying".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, fried toast. Another pleasure denied. And boiled dogs is for when you're in too big a hurry to grill them properly. Scrambled eggs on peanut butter and toast turned out to be better than I had thought. I haven't figured out curried peanut butter sandwiches yet, but something tells me it has potential. Curried chips are, of course, Ireland's contribution to world haute cuisine.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My favorite trick is go to Lebanese Taverna or Noodles & Co.
Local spots Garry's Grill and Brian Boru aren't bad either.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

mayonnaise and mustard really spark up a grilled cheese sandwich. So does a slice of tomato.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

When you make mashed potatoes (made with a ton of butter otherwise they don't count), make far too much accidentally on purpose and keep the excess in the fridge overnight. Next day, for breakfast, melt a knob of butter in the frying pan and put the spuds in. Add a few ounces of strong cheddar cheese cut up into chunks. Keep the mixture moving for a few minutes until the cheese has melted in. Let it sit undisturbed for a minute or two to brown on the bottom. Slide the whole thing into a bowl and eat for breakfast with a fork whilst posting to the controversial forum. Your brain will function much better than it would on that rabbit food that passes for "breakfast cereal" or muesli (aargh! Bring on the earth mothers!! :boggle: ), and Weekenders won't stand a chance against the sheer eloquence of your rhetoric, but you will have to go for a long walk afterwards.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

When I cannot be bothered to make Gnocchi, lefsa, or “bubbles and squeak” with my leftover mashed potatoes, sometimes I make a breakfast similar to yours.

I heat the mashed potatoes with a bit of butter and hot pepper flakes (or minced hot peppers) when it is hot, I cover it with some shredded sharp cheddar and a dollop of light sour cream. I'll have to try browning it with cheese mixed in.

Although, If I had the potatoes around, I would be just as likely to shred two of them with half an onion, add a tablespoon of flour and an egg, and cook the mixture like a pancake. My wife eats these with sour cream, i cover them in syrup.

I need to buy some potatoes.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you like your scrambled eggs garlicky, stick a peeled clove of garlic on the end of the fork you use to scramble them.

Not so good if you are trying to use a wooden fork - but you can do this on a metal fork without scratching a non-stick pan, if you take a little care.

The scrambled eggs will be nice and garlicky when cooked, and what you do with the clove of garlic is your own affair.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If you're starving and don't want to mess around, get your pasta on the boil and in another pan throw a dollop of olive oil, a big dollop of sundried tomato paste and some dried basil. A squashed clove of garlic would be good. Warm that through and toss in with the drained pasta. Is that cookery? I don't think so. A bit of parmesan on top is good though not essential. Cheap red wine is brilliant with it. I will not have dried parmesan in the house. It is disgusting, like the droppings of termites. Just buy a big lump and grate some off when needed. It keeps for months in the fridge.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Tip: Cut Habaneros and other hot peppers hold the pepper down with the back of a fork and cut the pepper through the tines. It will help keep the capsaicin off of your hands.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Make a quick soup with whatever you like: onion, potato, celery, beet, carrot, etc. Take some raw sausage (ground, for patties), flatten it on a cutting board, and slice it into chunks about 1/2 inch or so. It doesn't slice, exactly; you just press the edge of a long knife down onto the sausage to divide it into sections. These will hang together. Pull them apart and drop them into the soup as it is cooking.

All the seasoning from the sausage will diffuse into the broth and create a terrific tasting soup.

Best wishes,
Jerry
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I.D.10-t wrote:Tip: Cut Habaneros and other hot peppers hold the pepper down with the back of a fork and cut the pepper through the tines. It will help keep the capsaicin off of your hands.
Just use gloves. I keep a box of gloves under the sink just for this and cleaning up nasty animal-related messes and pulling chicken wrappers out of the dog's ass.

Be sure to take them off before you go potty.

Cut your hot peppers in half, remove the seeds, and spoon in a big glob of peanut butter. Tasty, and the peanut butter works like a salve when eaten with habaneros.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I recently had a nifty lunch at one of our taverns. Beer-cheese soup served in a sourdough bread bowl. Somewhat commonplace, I know. But there's more! The cook served it with a small bag of white cheddar popcorn with the instruction to crush it into the soup. What is normally a mild and creamy(yet somewhat hearty) soup was transformed into a textural and cheesy bonanza! I thought it was brilliant.

Recently I baked a modified toffee blondie in which I pressed whole caramels into the batter before popping it into the oven. Made for a great chewy surprise when you bite into the bars.