What should be my next whistle? HELP!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
neoclown
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What should be my next whistle? HELP!

Post by neoclown »

Hey guys,

I'm a beginner. I can play some Christmas songs, Amazing Grace and a few other kids songs... I'm just starting to get into the Celtic flavors (which I love, but have no background in).

My first whistle was a Clarke Original in D. Since then I bought an Acorn in D, which I can't stand... it seems to play overtones with every hole, kind of annoying. Just recently I purchased a Walton's Little Black D off of eBay, so I'm waiting for that to come in.

Any thoughts what I should be using? I hear a Sweetone gives a great, pure note, is this true? I'm looking for something that gives a sweet, pure tone, not so much the breathy, embodied notes the Original Clarke offers (while I love it of course).

Thoughts?
Swain

Post by Swain »

If you want another D, I suggest a Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog. Probably my favorite D that I own
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I have both an Acorn and a Sweetone and I think the Acorn is purer and the Sweetone is more breathy and kind of "bendy".
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
neoclown

Post by neoclown »

My Acorn sounds like there's a metal synthesizer in the background. Are you having the same affect with yours? It sounds very metallic.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

How much money do you want to invest? I think Sweetone is rather fine whistle, as well as Dixon trad is rather good (and better than Sweetone, more consistently in tune).

If you want to invest more money, Burke or Overton would be a fine choice.
neoclown

Post by neoclown »

At the moment, I'm thinking whistles under $20. As I continue, I'd love to invest a little more for a better tone.

Thanks for the help guys.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Whistles in that price range are mostly very similar. I´d suggest you to buy dixon trad (there´s nickel and brass variants, I played only brass, and rather liked it, on the other hand, usually I prefer nickel every time) - if I count it right, it´s about $30-35, which isn´t so much more, yet you´ll get much better, reliable and in-tune instrument.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

I will second Pyroh on the Dixon Trad.
It is a very reliable whistle, and I think you can not expect much netter for that price range.
neoclown

Post by neoclown »

Thanks guys.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Also a Susato (Dublin -non tunable- series) are u$s 21,90. They're excellent to me.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I recently bought a nickel Generation and to me it feels slippery. But it sure sounds nice.

My sweetone doesn't sound metallic at all. It sounds rather nice. But as I said, it's kind of bendy. It's not very forgiving to any lazy fingering.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Boody

Post by Boody »

I agree again on the Dixon, I got one for $23 plus $5 shipping at harp and dragon.
It has a very sweet sound, kinda too sweet for me really, I like more chiff.
But I would recomend against a Susato, the one I have sounds horrible, it sqwaks bad in the second octave, and sounds and looks too much like one of those cheep plastic recorders. :swear: :swear:
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just keep in mind that these mass-produced whistles with the injection-moulded plastic tops vary tremendously from whistle to whistle. That's why you'll hear one person say "my brand X plays great" and another will say "my brand X is terrible". In the same batch you'll find the great and the terrible and everything in between.
The example I've given here before is when I got to play two dozen new Generation D's bought as a batch. One was a great player, with full low notes, sweet high notes, and good intonation between the octaves.
One was nearly as good. (I bought those two!!) Then there were several mediocre ones. At the bottom end where a couple which were horribly breathy and squawky and out of tune. Now, what if one person had at random bought the best one, and another person at random had bought the worst one? Both would post exactly opposite opinions of Generation D's on this forum. And what if I had been able to play four or five dozen? How great a whistle might I have found?
Possibly the best-playing high D I've ever played is a Feadog I bought nearly 20 years ago and still play. I've played Feadogs which were awful. So you have to play a large number of any particular brand of these mass-produced whistles to get an idea of what the best examples play like.
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

the dixon new trad is a good one, price is slightly over usd$20 but definitely worth it, i use it to record to put on whistlethis, you can check my sound files if you dont mind my bad playing :oops: (sounds bad becuz of player, not the whistle)
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Jerry Freeman tweaks are great whistles. He does several different brands some of which are < $20. I'd have to agree with what's been said about the Freeman Mellow Dog. They are very competitive in quality to some of the really expensive tooters out there.

I also quite like the Dixon Trad. Tony's a lovely guy.

Thom at The Whistle shop also tweaks a Clarke and makes a nice whistle out of it if you want something that's not pure but not raspy. Thom's also a lovely fellow.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School