First tune memorized

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
K.D. Coyote S.G.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

First tune memorized

Post by K.D. Coyote S.G. »

First, I'd be interested to see what the first tunes you all memorized. Second, I'd like to ask for help with the first one I memorized. It was off of a recording I made of the Thistle and Shamrock twenty or so years ago. Lost the tape I had it on maybe fifteen years ago. I might be able to right out the ABC's if prompted, but I know the first verse and thought maybe someone out there would know the tune or where I might type in some lyrics and get the name. (Been playing for twenty odd years but have only been on the computer for about one) Any help with my second would be appreciated.
The crunchy bits are the best
Tootler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: First tune memorized

Post by Tootler »

K.D. Coyote S.G. wrote:First, I'd be interested to see what the first tunes you all memorized.
I used to have a fair selection of song tunes that I learnt by ear on the harmonica. I don't remember which was first but among them were "Leaving of Liverpool", "Blowin' in the Wind", and "Ramblin' Boy".

The first tune I learnt by ear on the whistle was "Rusty Gulley", a Northumbrian 3/2 hornpipe.

I surprised myself recently by playing the "Waters of Kylesku" from memory, a tune I had not heard for 40 years and which I do not remember consciously learning. I used to hear it a lot when I lived in Thurso for a while and maybe I had played it on my harmonica at some point.

'Fraid I can't help with your other request, sorry.

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
Strom

Post by Strom »

The first tune I memorized was "The King of Love My Shepherd Is". I still run through it a time or two every time I practice.
Eric
"Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere"
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

What were the words?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

The first tunes I memorized were Planxty Irwin and a cute hornpipe that ended up with the name "Jennifer's Hornpipe" which I got here: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e+jennifer
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

One of the first tunes I memorized was The Southwind. However, I shifted it about half an octave and mixed in my own rifts. It wasn't until years later that I figured out that my version was quite different from the real version.

This tendency turns out to be a blessing, in that I can create my own new melody lines. It is a curse in that I don't trust myself playing in groups, especially in session where all whistles are playing melody (not harmony).
JamieGO

Post by JamieGO »

The first tune I memorized was Drunken Sailor.
riverman

Post by riverman »

The first song I memorized was "Be Thou My Vision," that beautiful Irish hymn of devotion to God.
Second was, you guessed it, the Hobbit's theme, that I picked out by ear on my first D whistle, included in the Walton's starter kit.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Tia

Post by Tia »

first tune i memorized was wild rover, i think or it was jug of punch, both out of the book that i bought to learn how to play
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hewlett. Or, Planxty Hewlett, if you prefer.
In retrospect, happy to have started with O'Carolan.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

"Joy To the World", (the Christmas carol one....no wine-drinking frogs).

It basically involves descending through the scale, and then coming back up again. Great starter tune!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
The_Celtic_Bard

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

That would the Down by the Sally Gardens

different twist on it with the music of raglan road
Why build character when you already are one?
Strom

Post by Strom »

s1m0n wrote:What were the words?
The tune is set to an old Irish melody "St. Columba" and is a paraphase of Psalm 23.

The King of love my Shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never,
I nothing lack if I am His
And He is mine forever.

I think there are 5 more verses but I don't have them right off hand.
Eric
"Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere"
K.D. Coyote S.G.

Post by K.D. Coyote S.G. »

As I roved out is the name of the tune I was looking for. I played that tape over and over again til I got it. I looked on the session site and i't in a different key, can't recall it right now and am on lunch break so can't look, but it was D whistle friendly on I probably would not have learned it as I was a sax player and Ian Anderson wannabe at the time. Still cannot achieve the proper ambesure ammbessuir ohmbeshur for a flute. No tips, please, I've had plenty. And a months worth of patience several times didn't go far. 'sides, I think I prefer the whistle. Thanks, all.
The crunchy bits are the best
TheKrowe

Post by TheKrowe »

First tune would be The Road To Lisdoonvarna, played ale Malcolm Dalglish from his first album with Grey Larsen. First tune on flute was Kesh Jig.