What inexpensive whistle to start with?????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony Fletcher UK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony Fletcher UK »

Ok Ok Ok,
I know i have asked this question before, but i dont know just what to buy!
Ok i am looking for somthing quite cheap, that is easy to play, and reasonably quiet.
And of course somthing one thats going to sound quite nice in tone...and not have the dog barking like mad.
I dont want to buy rubbish and get fustrated by it cause the whistle is, basicaly crap.
Some whistlers rave on about Dixons for a begginners whistle are they true whistles, if you know what i mean ,do some whistlers dislike plastic whistles???
I dont want to have to tweak the whistle, just want a nice one to start with.

Thanks alot, sorry for being a pain..
Tony....
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Tony, I started with a Feadog. Very inexpensive but nice sound and on key. I think it's a great place to start.
Susan
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

you can also get an already "tweaked" clarke at the whistle shop. I'm sure since they tweaked it already that should weed out bad ones, out of tune ect.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

As far as Dixons being true whistles, I'd have to say "absolutely." Whistles can be made out of several different materials, including plastic. Brand or maker seems to matter much more than material. Look how many people here love Water Weasels...and they're made out of PVC plumbing pipe! (many with the plumbers code still on). I don't have a Dixon myself (yet!) but I've heard enough good things about them and about their maker, that I probably will own one someday.

What matters most is how the whistle sounds and feels to you. I started on a Generation Eb, and I still love it. I've had a few Feadogs, some of which I've loved and some of which I've been less than enthusiastic about. I have a Susato (plastic!) that I really enjoy playing sometimes (though I don't think I'd recommend it as a beginner's whistle). Some people here started on Clarke originals or Sweetones, and still love them dearly.

If you have a music store near you that will let you play their whistles, go in, try whatever they have on offer (even if all you can play is a simple scale) and buy one that sounds and feels good to you. If you have to rely on mail order, I would say that most of the brands out there could make a good starter whistle for you. If you find that, after you've been playing for a while, your starter whistle has certain shortcomings, think about what you DON'T like about it and then search for a whistle of a different type. Don't let the material it's made of get in your way...that's the least thing to worry about.

Redwolf
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

If you could find one, the Golden Tone would be a great whistle. But since it's no longer on the market this may not be an option.

I started on a Soodlum, which is now called a Walton's Brass D. It was a very satisfying whistle. I don't know whether their whistles are still of the same quality.
Reasonable person
Walden
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

On 2002-11-13 18:15, Redwolf wrote:
your starter whistle has certain shortcomings, think about what you DON'T like about it and then search for a whistle of a different type. Don't let the material it's made of get in your way...that's the least thing to worry about.

Redwolf
Yeah, I agree, all wistles have good things and bad things about them. Get one you like and see what you want from there. Welcome to the wonderful world of WhOA!
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I also started on a Feadog, and it's a great beginner whistle; I also favor my Clarke Origs... They're easy to play, sound nice, and are just great all-around. :grin:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Paul

Post by Paul »

On 2002, 11-13 Tony Fletcher UK wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Ok Ok,
I know i have asked this question before, but i dont know just what to buy!
Ok i am looking for somthing quite cheap, that is easy to play, and reasonably quiet.
And of course somthing one thats going to sound quite nice in tone...and not have the dog barking like mad.

A nice and very inexpensive whistle IMO is the Clark Sweetone. Some people disagree about it, but I find it easy to play and it actually has a good sound. Mine got badly dented so that I had to push the dent out and put a strip of clear tape on the seam on the back and it still plays very nicely. I believe it was about $6.00? At that price, if you don't like it it's no big deal. Good luck!
On 2002-11-13 Walden wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you could find one, the Golden Tone would be a great whistle. But since it's no longer on the market this may not be an option.
So, Walden, how goes your quest to resurrect the Golden Tone? I know you were talking about it earlier...

Slan
-Paul

<edited to correct spelling>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paul on 2002-11-13 22:01 ]</font>
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I'd also like to add my vote to both the feadog and the clarke original. The feadog was my first, the clarke is currently my favorite.

Snuh
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tony,

I think you're just going to have to lash out £3.50 and get a Brass Generation in D. It's reasonably quiet, cheap, but in any cheap whistle quality varies, and you run the risk of getting a ppor one. In my experience, though, I've never had a Generation I couldn't play in (whistles get better the more you use them, it's one of those things).

As for the dog barking, It's the frequency more than the quality of the sound, so I don't think you will find a D whistle that doesn't bother the dog. Check out the numerous discussions about cats & whistles to learn more about the phenomenon.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Clare is a good option, too.
About ten dollars. Hard to
go wrong. Definitely
a real whistle.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Tony,
All things considered I'd suggest you get a Clarke's original. It has a breathy tone so won't sound quite as loud as the other metal with plastic mouthpiece whistles. The Clarke is also pretty tolerant of variations in breath control, it's extremely unlikley to buzz or squeak.

Cheers, Mac
nickt

Post by nickt »

Time to get philosophical Tony. Everyone has an opinion, and they'll give it - and just doing a straw poll of which whistle gets the most mention isn't necessarily the whistle for you. I suggest you do what Martin says and cough up a few quid on anything and make a start.

If it was me I would avoid most cheapies except Dixon, Oak, Susato (in that order), but it is just my opinion. Ignore the "plastic" thing though, some of the best are plastic. Once you've got used to your purchase, you can upgrade and go through the whole schemozzle all over again, because choice exists at all levels!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Just go get a whistle that you like the sound of. Just because I like the sound of a certain kind doesn't mean that you will. My first four whistles were Generations(some played in tune, some did not). But, IMOH, if it plays reasonably in tune with itself, you can have fun with it.

Warning: You may, like many of us here, find that you NEED more and more whistles.....
meir

Post by meir »

my 2cents. hated my clarke original as a first whistle, love it now after several months. too much air for a beginner in the first few weeks, will distract from other things. suggest generation or feadog for absolute beginner.

meir