Narrow Bore & Standard Bore

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Defoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Defoe »

Scuse my ignorance but whatz the difference?
bodhrans

Post by bodhrans »

I think the terms "wide bore" and "narrow bore" are sufficiently vague to be widely misused. If you take the overview that the optimal bore width for a wind instrument has a ratio somewhere in the narrow range of 1/26th to 1/30th of the bore length, then you may get an idea of what "normal bore" is. Many whistles are constructed well outside these limits in the normal course of production, and some makers refer to their own "wide or narrow" bore instruments in reference to their own standard product, rather than in reference to the optimal limits above. You need to measure to determine which is which.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

A polite request: Please, please, please search the archives. Less than 30 seconds of searching would have netted the following thread from only 5 or 6 weeks ago - http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 74&forum=1

Loren
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Just to clarify: Loren doesn't mean the archives (a link to which you see between the <u>Free email newsletter</u> and the <u>New! Chat</u> links). Rather, use the search function for the current forum. It's one of the many links to the right, below the New Topic and Post Reply buttons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-11-15 16:19 ]</font>
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

...so is the repetition of the BORE question too BORING????????!!! :lol:

Boyd
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Bloomfield - Thanks for clearing that up. I've used the "archives" button lots of time and come up with nothing. I swear you could type in "whistle" and it would tell you there weren't any finds!
Susan
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Susan, you mean I've finally contributed something to the forum?!? Wow. :smile:
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield makes a good point: I should have been more specific. Honestly, I think of anything off the first page as part of the "archives", however I automatically (in my mind) make the distinction between the "old" archives and the "new". Now if only everyone would learn to read my mind as I do others' :lol:

Seriously, I keep wondering why people constantly complain that they can't find anything in the archives, while I never have a problem, and I think Bloomfield has hit on it: Many people use the "Archives" link and attempt searching the really old stuff, rather than utilizing the "Search" link to look for stuff posted in the last year or so, fascinating!

Well then, we've all learned something here then haven't we? :lol:

Loren
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
I just saw this thread ready to drop off the first page and I read the previous discussion
and the comments on this thread and wanted to make a couple of additional comments, specially since I offer so many models that include wide bore or narrow bore, or intermediate bore, etc.
Firstly, the length to diameter ratio of 26-30 which is correct for transverse flutes is not at all suitable for end blown flutes like the whistle.
Years of research have shown me that that a good whistle design will have a length to diameter ratio that is between 20 and 25 to one. A bore that is nearer the 20:1 will be a wide bore model and nearer 25 will be a narrow bore. The differences in terms of performance
are that wider bore models will have more fundamental sounding tones and more low end volume and will be generally a bit slower in transient response, due to the increased mass of air in the wider bore compared to a narrower one. Pipes that are narrower for their length are more complex harmonically, I think and thre wider bores sound more pure and fundamental, though voicing plays a very important role in this, also. In general, narrow bore whistles are sweeter, faster and
more complex and wider bores are louder, rounder and more mellow sounding. I am not an expert on Pipe organs, but I think their ranks of pipes that play the same notes, but have different tonal colors. For example, flute pipes and string pipes. The flute pipes are intermediate bores and the string pipes are narrow bores. The string pipes sound more complex to me than the flute pipes, and I think there is a really fat rank that I can't remember the name of that sound really fundamental in tone. Whistles and organ pipes have a lot in common, so I think the reasons for using all these different ranks can be applied to whistles. Sure enough, some people want the sound of a narrow bore and some want the wider bore models.
I hope this helps you to understand why makers offer whistles in not only different materials but different diameters.
All the best
Mike
serpent

Post by serpent »

Good stuff! Thank you, Mike! It explains quite nicely some of the feedback I've gotten on my new line of brass, which qualify as narrow-bore, both by your definition and by their behaviour. Your post is much appreciated! :grin:
Thanks, again,
Bill Whedon