Have a happy and safe holiday

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Have a happy and safe holiday

Post by peeplj »

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

I hope everyone has a happy, safe holiday.

(Yes, I know that it's not Thanksgiving for our non-U.S. folks. Happy Thanksgiving anyway! :P )

I'll be off the boards for a couple of days, as I will have eaten too much turkey and will be too fat to type. :D

See everyone next week!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Ditto from Houston. The turkey's ready to be brined and the sweet potatoes are ready to be roasted and mashed.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Girls are home doing vegan pumpkin and more or less traditional pecan pies. Fortunately I'm only contributing salad, and tofurkey for the vegivores.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Pray for me, folks. I am going to two Thanksgiving dinners tomorrow, that is if my wife and I get over the stomach cramps we are having today. We are suspicious of the frozen chicken that my wife got in her basket at work on Monday. I made chicken and noodle soup with it yesterday, but it was the strangest frozen chicken that I have ever seen. It looked like someone had stepped on it before it was frozen. I know that you can probably get more frozen chickens into a cardboard container if the chickens have been flattened out to resemble a pancake, but I would rather have a normal-looking chicken, thank you. I don't want to hear any more comments like, "Are you sure that is a chicken, or is it a squirrel?"

But back to the topic at hand, yes, we all have much to be thankful for. May all people have a safe and restful holiday. Enjoy your family gatherings, if you are so lucky to be invited to one. Otherwise, turn on the TV and watch football with the millions of other people already stuffed with turkey and pumpkin pie.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I too will have double Thanksgiving. I spent all day today baking the turkey.(remember I do not like to cook)
Thankfully my far away daughter and husband arrived from Maryland at my mom's house tonight, so they made it!

Friday we will have my family and some of my husband's family here for dinner. At least we have a ham that I don't have to cook for that one.

Remember the friend for whom I sewed the colonial dress and stays? Well, she likes to cook and brought a big basket filled with olive spread, coffee cake, more chocolate candy, all the fixings for cucumber sandwiches and her fantastic cheesecake. All this is "made from scratch" stuff and wonderful.
I'll sew for her anytime if I get food like this. :)

The only downer is that I am now getting either the flu, a cold or major sinus problems. I am waiting for the nyquil to kick in since I've been up cleaning and cooking that durn turkey since 5 AM . :evil:

Y'all all have a safe and happy turkey day, ya hear?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that "Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!" is still politically correct and appropriate for this Thanksgiving day, but tomorrow Santa Claus will be making his grand intrance into many shopping malls, if he hasn't gotten there already. You have probably heard that this year Santa has been instructed not to say the the traditional, "Ho, Ho, Ho!" This year it will have to be just, "Ha, Ha, Ha!" so as not to offend any women. Who knows, maybe next year Rudolph may be politically incorrect, but I hope not.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I suppose it can't be "Hee Hee Hee" or that would be gender-specific.
Maybe Santa could alternate that with a "Hurr, Hurr, Hurr!"
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

If Santa were to wear a patch over one eye, he might get away with "Har, har, har" for at least one year before the PC-crowd took him to task for reverse pillaging.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oooooh! The Pirate and the Christmas Elf . . . ette.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Hmmmm ... would this just happen to be a naughty elfette? :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We had a fine time. The brand new electric turkey broiler malfunctioned and nearly caught on fire so I had to move the turkey to the oven. Otherwise it was as good as a Thanksgiving dinner can get. I still have a crapload of pie left over. A whole Dutch apple nobody even tried. Hmph! 3/4 of a cherry and 1/2 pumpkin.

Lots of turkey left over so I had a turkey omlette this morning and a turkey sandwich for lunch.

I think I'll have a piece of apple pie!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Ouch, I hope there's a good return policy at the store you bought the broiler from.

We celebrated a day late to accommodate my dad's work schedule. I brined the turkey overnight and roasted it, turned out great. Last night I made caramel custard for dessert, hmmm. I'm definitely going to the gym tomorrow morning.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I worked all day, but had planned ahead...

I baked the pies before I left in the morning, and got the turkey ready to put into the oven at the appointed time.

Each of my four sons was assigned a side dish to prepare.
My husband bought the rolls.

I made the gravy when I got home.
The boys took pictures of all their masterpieces.....
It was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners we ever ate! :party:

Cheers to all!
M
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I worked all day, but had planned ahead...

I baked the pies before I left in the morning, and got the turkey ready to put into the oven at the appointed time.

Each of my four sons was assigned a side dish to prepare.
My husband bought the rolls.

I made the gravy when I got home.
The boys took pictures of all their masterpieces.....
It was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners we ever ate! :party:

Cheers to all!
M
Let's see the pics!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm