Newbie wants help picking high end whistle :-)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Switchfoot »

Hey you guys, after a huge amount of thinking (and an even larger amount of coveting) I've decided to get myself a high end whistle, I was hoping to get some input from you guys. I was thinking about an elf song whistle.
I'm looking for a whistle with a pure tone (little or no chiff would be nice) good amount of volume because I'm planning on playing with people and being reletively inexpensive (cuz im a college student) any suggestions from my favorite message board would be nice :grin:
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

You're looking for a Burke. I have an Elfsong on order, but since I don't have it yet, I can't help you there. But I do know the Burke meets the standards you're setting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2002-11-15 02:51 ]</font>
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I don't have an Elfsong (yet), but from what I have read, they sound like they may be just what you're looking for. Out of the whistles that I <i>DO</i> have, I think my Dave Parkhurst adjustable fipple sop D<sup>1</sup> is the loudest pure whistle I've heard. Burkes are also excellent for volume and purity (not as loud as some others, though). Hoovers are tops for purity, but mine are very quiet...Mack may be able to make you a loud one and retain the purity if you ask him.

Anyway, all of the whistle makers I've dealt with are ready, willing and able to make you pretty much what you want within the limits of their manufacturing process. They are all super cool people.

Good luck,
Eric

<sup>1</sup>The fipple is adjustable allowing you to move the block in or out. Out=husky sound with degredation of the upper octave, In=pure with degredation of the lower octave. There are many shades in between the two block positions. A super whistle with OXX|XXO cnat fingering.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Hey Vaporlock, a posting with a footnote!!! Plenty scholarly.

For your purposes, Switchfoot, a Burke would be hard to beat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2002-11-15 04:05 ]</font>
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Hmm, Burke, looks good, whats the air requirements for those?
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Very normal air requirements for standard bore. Low air requirements for the narrow bore instruments.
Best
Byll
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-11-15 11:12, Switchfoot wrote:
Hmm, Burke, looks good, whats the air requirements for those?
I have a high C and a low G. Breath requirements present no problem. I suppose you're looking to buy a high D? If it's as good as my C Alpro, you just won't believe how good it is when it arrives. That one of mine become one of my favourites the day it arrived and I play a full fleet of Overtons and a Copeland low D so it takes a lot to impress me that much.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

switchfoot,
burkes are great for most folks, but they weren't my cup of tea. i had the burke brass pro. it just didn't have the "voice" i was looking for. i also recognize that i may well be in the minority. whistle preference is such a personal thing - it a blessing to have so many choices!

i do suggest you look at hoovers. i have 4 of mack's whistles and love them (sopD, C, B and A). currently, mack is making me a louder version in d. i don't think you can find a sweeter instrument. mack is also a delight to work with and to get to know.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-11-15 02:42, Switchfoot wrote:
Hey you guys, after a huge amount of thinking (and an even larger amount of coveting) I've decided to get myself a high end whistle, I was hoping to get some input from you guys. I was thinking about an elf song whistle.
I'm looking for a whistle with a pure tone (little or no chiff would be nice) good amount of volume because I'm planning on playing with people and being reletively inexpensive (cuz im a college student) any suggestions from my favorite message board would be nice :grin:
I make whistles, and I'm strongly recommending the Elfsong, based on your wish-list. I have a Copper Tone, and it's one of the sweetest instruments I've ever played. Very pure, little chiff, octaves break very nicely, slides are easy.

Oh, and they're _PRETTY_! :smile:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I have three Elfsongs and a handful of others and I keep picking up the Emerald Elfsong as whistle of choice. It's nice and loud and doesn't fill up with spit too much (depends on the weather and temperature, supporting the "condensation" theory).

I haven't tried Bill/Serpent's whistles (yet) so I can't offer an opinion on those.

Sandy Jasper has been very responsive to any questions, etc., and Bill has loaned me a flute "second" to see if my hands will reach to play it, so they're both high on the customer service scale.

Marguerite
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I agree with Tomcat's suggestion concerning Mack Hoover's whistles. I play both Hoovers and Burkes, and the reason I play them both is that they have very similar playing characteristics, but a very different sound...
Best.
Byll
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You're looking for a "high-end" whistle that's "relatively inexpensive;" I guess that's not mutually exclusive. IMHO, the two very best high end soprano D whistles are Copeland and Abell, both "expensive." Both the Burke and Elfsong are terrific and less expensive. Th Elfsong is the cheapest but I am currently playing it every day along with my Copeland and Abell. The Elfsong is also uniquely cosmetically gorgeous and Sandy is both responsive and helpful. The only problem I heard expressed by one reader is that it is somewhat heavy; I personally don't think so and I rather like the substantive feel of it.

Good luck and let us know.

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
MarkCC

Post by MarkCC »

On 2002-11-15 02:42, Switchfoot wrote:

I'd strongly recommend a Silkstone Alloy.

The Silkstones are not chiffless, but they are very light on the chiff (you've got to have some, or it just doesn't sound like a whistle!) and a very bright and clear tone. They've got a lot of volume when you want it, but they've also got enough versatility to actually give you a choice between playing full-out loud and being a bit more restrained. (Other whistles don't necessarily give so much choice... My Colin Goldie Overton can be played either very loud, or very *very* loud.)

The Silkstones are also made beautifully. The fingerholes are well-positioned and well rounded, to make them very comfortable under the fingers. The whistle body actually tapers at the low end beyond the D hole, which improves both the intonation and the stability of the low D.

All in all, it's an absolutely spectacular whistle. It's not cheap, but it's also not insanely expensive - it's in the US$120 range.

-Mark
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

McHaffie. No question about it.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Nuts. Go listen to Sandy's Elfsongs on her website. Sweetest whistle on the planet, and reasonably priced. Customer service beyond compare. Flat-out gorgeous. What more do ya want?
Serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"