How frequently do you oil?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

After reading some interesting missives from the mid-1800s and early 1900s regarding oiling of the flute, I was curious how frequently people oil their own.
Particularly the inside of the flute, but also the outside.
so, how often folks?
fluter_d
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluter_d »

Basically whenever the flute starts to sound dry - which ends up being about once a month for the inside, and maybe every 2 or 3 months for the outside... I think!
Deirdre
BillG

Post by BillG »

I shoot for once a month - around the first of the month so I remember - for the inside. Sometimes when the outside around the embouchure hole gets grungy I apply an oily swab (kept in a plastic bag) to clean it. I do the outside usually when I do the inside but that depends on how much time I have. I have three flutes that get the bath monthly.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Stan

Post by Stan »

David, share the wealth. What did those
interesting missives have to say about oiling
in "the olde days". Put me down as a once
per month, inside an' out oiler.
Stan

Post by Stan »

David, share the wealth. What did those
interesting missives have to say about oiling
in "the olde days". Put me down as a once
per month, inside an' out oiler.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I'm on no strict schedule, but I'd say it' something like once every month during the cold, dry month (Oct-April) and once every two months during the warm, wet months (May-Sept).
Best,
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-11-14 21:32 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-11-14 21:32 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-11-14 21:31 ]</font>
eskin

Post by eskin »

I plan generally to do a monthly oiling, inside and out...
Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Like Chris, I usually oil once a month during the dry months, and almost never during the summer. When I do oil, I do the outside as well.
The blackwood never really seems to need it, so my oiling is more a matter of better-safe-than, but my antique rosewood (or what I think is rosewood) flute needs oil more frequently, and really seems to sop it up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gordon on 2002-11-15 10:46 ]</font>
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I also shoot for once a month.

I'm also asking, David, please give us your suggestion -- I kind of think of you as a referent authority on issues such as this.

I also have another question: should one oil a blackwood flute/whistle as often as one made of another, more moisture sensitive wood such as cocobolo or, even moreso, boxwood?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I recently got an antique boxwood flute refurbished by Patrick Olwell. To my surprise, he recommended oiling it once a week.

Carol
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Its not a fixed schedule for me, but I do it when I think the blackwood looks like it needs an oiling, (which tends to be once very 2-3 weeks) on the outside and inside. Sometimes I find that oil gets "expelled" on the outer surface of the flute (usually after a period of dormancy)

Its weird how some people advocate oiling very often while others do it with long intervals in between. A pro-level flute player once told me not to oil the flute often unless I'm not playing it for weeks as it will spoil the flute!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I almost never oil my flutes (except for my boxwood Bb by Wilkes). I oiled them once a week for a month or two when they were new, but since then I've only oiled them maybe once a year, during the winter, if they looked particularly dry. I've never had a crack in any flute. I had an old German flute that I didn't oil at all for almost 10 years, no problems. And I have some Abell whistles in blackwood that I haven't oiled for at least 12 years, maybe 15, no cracks or other problems. So I personally think the whole practice of oiling is a bit overrated. I oil my boxwood flute more regularly because that wood seems more persnickety than blackwood. I don't think oiling does any harm, but I'm not convinced it does much good either, despite all the intuitive sense it makes.