Public performances--how good need I be?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kar »

I've got a general question, I need some guidance on. I've been playing the whistle for almost a year now, and I really want to play Christmas Carols this holiday season out and about in the city (San Fran). You know, at subway stations or downtown. I've been practicing, and although I don't have more than a few tunes memorized, I am now familiar with most of the popular carols.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a street musician and especially at Christmas. I just love the holidays and want to contribute. Unfortunately, I am just not a very good whistler yet. I'm OK but nothing near what I hear from OTHER street musicians.

My question is: how good do you have to be to put yourself out there in public? I'd hate to feel I was annoying people instead of entertaining them!

And then, does anyone have any suggestions for making Christmas carols played alone on a whistle exciting? They are tough to embellish, I think, because people are expecting a straight tune. But I just don't want to go out there and BORE people!

And if anyone has any experiences doing this that they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it!
serpent

Post by serpent »

You know what? Just go do it. Some people will hate it, others will love it and stand around and ask you to play more. But use a guitar case if you're collecting. Lots bigger and easier to hit than a whistle case!
:grin:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'd say as long as you are a better player than your audience, you're fine! :smile:

I'm sure they would enjoy it. Two recommendations:

1) practice not making a face when you hit a wrong note (something I need to work on),

2) practice recovering from a wrong note, such as trying to incorporate it into the beat or make a harmony for a second or something.

In otherwords, hide them mistakes! LOL You'll be great, and maybe next year when I am in Seattle, I can come down and play with you!
serpent

Post by serpent »

Another observation from the Serpent: Don't take your own judgement of how you sound as gospel. Play in front of some people and see if they listen, or run away. That sort of opinion, you can take to the bank.

Go ask one of the buskers if you can play along with him/her, free (no hat for you.) then see if they like you enough to keep you there by sharing the hat. Which they will, if their average "take" goes up when you're there.

Objective. That's the key!
Cheers, :grin:
Bill Whedon
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Done a lot of that. You're ready.
The street is a very forgiving
venue, at least critically.
People are so delighted
and surprised to hear live whistle
music that they don't care much
about whether you sound like
Joannie Madden, who they've
never heard anyhow. They don't know
what great whistle playing sounds
like, most of them have never heard
a whistle. They just recognize
the tunes. The whistle has a
wonderful ability to delight
people on the street.

It's fine to play the tunes
straightforwardly, with a minimum
of embellishment or none at all.
They sound lovely unornamented.
Just play it like you mean it.
People hear heart. Good luck! Jim

P. S. If you feel like you're about
to faint before you start playing,
play anyway.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If you play well enough to please yourself, chances are you will play well enough to please at least some of the passersby. Are you at the point with the carols where you can always play them without hitting a sour note? Do they come easily to your fingers? If so, get out there and try it!

As far as avoiding boredom goes, how about making up carol "sets"? Instead of playing several repetitions of "Silent Night," for example, group it with similar carols (such as "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "Angels We Have Heard on High"). Or you can alternate meters...for example, sequeing from "Silent Night" into "In Dulci Jubilo" ("Good Christian Men Rejoice"). If you know the words to multiple verses of each carol, you'll have a better feel as to how to embellish them...each verse will have different notes that cry out for a bit of emphasis.

A word to the wise re busking with a whistle...make sure you hit it with the soap treatment, because they clog like crazy in the cool, fog-laden San Francisco air! I used to park myself down at the bottom of Hyde Street, not far from the cable car turntable, and the moisture off the Bay made clogging a real problem...I had to shake the darned thing out after just about every song! Also, make sure you're not taking someone else's place...buskers can be pretty possessive about their regular spots.

Have fun!

Redwolf
Kar

Post by Kar »

Thanks for the encouragement and all the advice. I do know the tunes well enough to hit a clunker note only maybe once every other tune, and my friends don't cringe, so I guess I'll go for it!
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

The first time I played in public was on my Native American flutes. I played for a new-agey type store during a day when they had various "artisans"...palm readings, dream stuff, card readings etc. It was great fun, I met lots of interesting people. Life is so hard sometimes....that just hearing nice peaceful or uplifting music is a joy in itself. Good luck playing....just do it!
chas

Post by chas »

I agree with everybody. The way I usually put it is, you're probably your own worst critic.

My primary instrument used to be the lap dulcimer. I played shows in college and graduate school frequently, and remembered every sour note afterward. But most of the prople who saw me a) were primarily struck by the novelty of the instrument and b) thought it was cool, so they heard the good parts rather than dwelling on the bad.

I think the whistle is also novel, and that most people passing by will react the same way, especially if they can sense you're enjoying it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Give it a whirl. If they throw coins or currency, you're OK. If they throw anything else, you probably need more work.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Sounds like you are certainly ready for the public.
I play whistle on about 20 tunes in our annual Christmas Revelry and have found very few christmas tunes that are not great on whistle. Folks are always amazed at the amount of music that can come out of such a simple looking instrument and really love it. I'm sure that you will find the same when you go out there. Good Luck!
Elerossë

Post by Elerossë »

I have a question that is in the same vein as this one as well. How many tunes do you think I should know before I try busking? 1/2 hour's worth?

Someone? Anyone? Beuller?

Thanks!

Kaitlin
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-11-14 15:33, Kar wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement and all the advice. I do know the tunes well enough to hit a clunker note only maybe once every other tune, and my friends don't cringe, so I guess I'll go for it!
Tell me where you'll be busking so I can come listen!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-11-16 21:02, Elerossë wrote:
I have a question that is in the same vein as this one as well. How many tunes do you think I should know before I try busking? 1/2 hour's worth?

Someone? Anyone? Beuller?

Thanks!

Kaitlin
I'd say 1/2 hours' worth is good. You don't want to have to do repeats too soon, in case people hang around to listen for a while (also, you'll drive anyone who has to hang around...for example, if you busk near a newstand or busstop) absolutely bananas if you keep playing the same things over and over. Half an hour gives you a chance to get some audience turnover, and, if you mix the tunes up a bit (i.e., don't always play them in the same order), you won't bore any potential captive audience.

It's also a good idea to make sure you have a few common favorites under your belt...just in case someone requests them.

Redwolf
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Definitely, go for it!! Music is meant to be shared. You are already a better than anyone in your audience is likely to be, and people LOVE hearing live music, no matter how simple ( don't YOU?) Stick to stuff you know well, play them simply and honestly and you will be astounded how people respond.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!