I want to know where to start.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The_Celtic_Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I want to know where to start.

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

What kind of whistle would be a good place to start, and what would be a good path at working my way up the ladder?
Why build character when you already are one?
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

You'll probably get a lot of different answers to your question, so be prepared. I think the majority of whistlers started on Clarkes, Generations, Feadógs, etc. They're good whistles. If you want something more high end, then that's harder. It probably comes down to how much do you want to spend and what sound do you like.

In my opinion, I think a Clarke originals is great to start. If you want to spend a bit more then I say a Thornton or a Hudson Wind. Very different whistles, very different sounds, both are awesome.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
The_Celtic_Bard

Thanks for the honesty
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I suggest the best way to get started is to learn the instrument and learn the tunes. Then think about whether or not this or that whistle is better. I think too many people get caught up in whether or not a different whistle will help when what's needed is practice practice practice.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
The_Celtic_Bard

I just want to also have something better than the beat piece of Tin Whistle I have, it looks like an earthquake hit it.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I get that, a pretty whistle is nice. A new whistle is exciting and makes you want to play more.

http://www.thorntonwhistles.info/index.html

http://www.hudsonwinds.com/index.html

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=19#
scroll down and you'll find reviews of both whistles
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
The_Celtic_Bard

Jubilations, I have tweaked and tinkered around with my Tin Whistle which looks a lot like real tin, and it actually plays now. It is more articulate, less breathy, has some power behind it, and it actually plays.

Any one had trouble with their whistles and had to fix them and did an awesome job, with no prior experience?
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Welcome to you The_Celtic_Bard,
I am sure I am not the first person that has had this experience; every whistle I have ever bought has needed tweaking of some sort to make them more pleasing to the ear. I have only bought one whistle that needed minimal tweaking and that was a Generation high D. All I did to this was bung a bit of sticky tack under the windway to fill the hollow section there, it has played like a dream ever since. It is my main whistle.
I have tried/bought loads of other brands, Clarke, Shaw, Sweetone, Feadog, Waltons, Guinness little black to name a few, I always go back to the Generation. The only expensive whistle I have bought is a Tony Dixon High D with a Delrin top, aluminium bottom and brass tuning slide. I don't play it very often because it is very shrill, a bit like having your stereo Bass turned right down and the Treble turned the whole way up, there is no roundness to any of the notes played.
I now make my own high and low whistles.

Been struck by WHOA disorder yet? :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

You'll get different opinions because there are SO MANY kinds of whistles out there, with very different tonal and performance qualities.
When I began in the 70's there was only one way to go: the Generation D. (Clarkes were only made in C then.)
Still to my ear the Generation tone defines the "traditional" tone. But Generation's quality control is hit-and-miss. Play through a few dozen and you may find one that plays great: full low notes and clear (non-breathy) high notes. Pack the head as mentioned above, carve out the F# hole a bit (F# is usually flat) and you're good to go.
Michael Burke whistles take this traditional tone to a sophisticated level and are very fine whistles.
Then you have the Clarke-style, rolled sheet tin conical-bored whistles. Clarke and Shaw make these, and they have a very distinctive tone. The Copeland might be considered a Rolls-Royce development of this type.
Then you have the Overton-style whistles, thick machined aluminum with a narrow windway and a distinctive earthy musty tone. The Phil Hardy whistles are of this style (at least his older ones). See his terrific video where he discusses and plays his various models.
You should yourself try these different styles to see which you prefer.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Tucson Whistler wrote:I get that, a pretty whistle is nice. A new whistle is exciting and makes you want to play more.
Listen to Tuscon Whistler! When I got my first custom whistle, my daughter (who plays flute) said, "All the troubles I was going to tell you about with your whistling went away when you got your new whistle."
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
verdilak

Post by verdilak »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Welcome to you The_Celtic_Bard,
I am sure I am not the first person that has had this experience; every whistle I have ever bought has needed tweaking of some sort to make them more pleasing to the ear. I have only bought one whistle that needed minimal tweaking and that was a Generation high D. All I did to this was bung a bit of sticky tack under the windway to fill the hollow section there, it has played like a dream ever since. It is my main whistle.
I have tried/bought loads of other brands, Clarke, Shaw, Sweetone, Feadog, Waltons, Guinness little black to name a few, I always go back to the Generation. The only expensive whistle I have bought is a Tony Dixon High D with a Delrin top, aluminium bottom and brass tuning slide. I don't play it very often because it is very shrill, a bit like having your stereo Bass turned right down and the Treble turned the whole way up, there is no roundness to any of the notes played.
I now make my own high and low whistles.

Been struck by WHOA disorder yet? :D
Where is a good place to learn about tweaking whistles?
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Ah a great place to start is to first admit you have a problem, and seek help. :lol:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Anything at all, as long as its in D. And cheap. A $100 whistle, IMO, isn't ten times better than a ten dollar whistle. Often, it's not even ONE times better.

It's worth talking to Jerry Freeman (of this parish) and getting a 'tweaked' whistle--Jerry buys cheaper whistles in bulk, and then works his magic on them so they're playing their best: this doesn't cost much, and nicely resolves the quality control issues some of the cheaper makes have.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
verdilak

Post by verdilak »

s1m0n wrote:Anything at all, as long as its in D. And cheap. A $100 whistle, IMO, isn't ten times better than a ten dollar whistle. Often, it's not even ONE times better.

It's worth talking to Jerry Freeman (of this parish) and getting a 'tweaked' whistle--Jerry buys cheaper whistles in bulk, and then works his magic on them so they're playing their best: this doesn't cost much, and nicely resolves the quality control issues some of the cheaper makes have.
What is his username so I can talk with him? And what do you mean by tweak?
Theodore Roosevelt wrote:To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

verdilak wrote:What is his username so I can talk with him? And what do you mean by tweak?
Here is Jerry's profile. You can contact him by PM or e-mail. Or maybe he'll see your post:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?m ... ile&u=1845

Tweaking is simply modifying the whistle in certain ways to improve its tuning, sound and playability.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.