Even more evidence of a terrible American malaise

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

another dark chocolate person here!!!

Tom just found Perugina at the store! Yummy!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Americans just don't know what they're doing with chocolate. I didn't eat one single chocolate bar I liked over there

Chocolate doesn't have to be over 70% to be good either (although I love dark chocolate, I just have to be wary of it due to migraines) we have many, many wonderful types of milk chocolate that softly melts in the mouth. Chocolate with praline and hazlenuts and mint and fudge and toffee and caramel...

*does homer style drooling thing*

I need some chocolate.

*runs to vending machine*
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chrisoff wrote:Americans just don't know what they're doing with chocolate.
Now there's a statement loaded with irony. So what are South American Chocolate bars like? That's where the stuff comes from, isn't it?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Now there's a statement loaded with irony. So what are South American Chocolate bars like? That's where the stuff comes from, isn't it?
Ok, I meant North Americans.
djm

Post by djm »

I'm sure you Brits ccertainly can't be mouthing off over that Cadbury's drek (?). Talk about tasteless muck!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i'm almost done with this book "candy freak." my wife got it from the library and couldn't put it down. for light reading, it's a hoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Candyfreak-Journe ... 1565124219

my brother the priest was just visiting and gave my wife a slew of boxes of chocolates that he had been given recently. he is clueless about normal life and had no idea what a 1 pound box of godiva chocolates was. there are two chocolatiers in the town he is currently stationed who attend his church. i always thought milk chocolate could be a whole lot better and these two did it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

I laughed when I read the name of the author of Candyfreak. I laughed even harder at this review of Candyfreak:
http://www.stevenalmond.com/public/reviews/cf/wdig.html

djm
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote:I'm sure you Brits ccertainly can't be mouthing off over that Cadbury's drek (?). Talk about tasteless muck!

djm
It's not my favourite, but Dairy Milk is still superior to Hershey's and all the other crap I ate in the US. But no it's not worth mouthing off over, not when we have Thornton's and Green and Blacks. Then there's all the european makers who are frickin geniuses.
Last edited by chrisoff on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Cadbury's is just greasy brown muck, I'm the first to admit. Everything seems to be sweetness-driven these days. Gimme something tangy, spicy, a bit sharp, a bit of bite. Palates awake!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

chrisoff wrote:Americans just don't know what they're doing with chocolate. I didn't eat one single chocolate bar I liked over there

Chocolate doesn't have to be over 70% to be good either (although I love dark chocolate, I just have to be wary of it due to migraines) we have many, many wonderful types of milk chocolate that softly melts in the mouth. Chocolate with praline and hazlenuts and mint and fudge and toffee and caramel...

*does homer style drooling thing*

I need some chocolate.

*runs to vending machine*
There's a large part of american chocolate bars that are made up of different waxes that are used as fillers to make the chocolate mixture go farther (ergo, more profit).
The us chocolate industry isn't sugar driven, it's pure profit driven; like everything else in this country, quality and taste take a back seat to quantity and profit.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I buy organic, fair-trade, dark (>70%) chocolate imported from Central or South America, preferably single-origin. I've said it before: milk chocolate ain't chocolate.

(I tried a small bar of 99% dark chocolate once. Talk about bitter! I stick with 70% to 90% now.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Hershey's chocolate is fairly unique. Fatty acids in milk can go rancid via lipolysis, and Hershey's puts their chocolate through controlled lipolysis in order to give it the unique flavor it has.

It's really a lot like the "sourdough" of chocolates. While a lot of us in the US like it, I don't, and I thought i was going to hurl the one time I had molé sauce made with Hershey's syrup!
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
HDSarah

Re: Even more evidence of a terrible American malaise

Post by HDSarah »

SteveShaw wrote: . . . Do any of you actually eat this stuff? . . . no wonder you like invading foreign countries. You're clearly after their bloody chocolate!
Apparently lots of people eat it; not being one of them, I don't really understand it. My tastes are not that of the typical American. We joke in my family that any product I really like (especially foods) will be discontinued by its maker, or at the very least, our local grocery stores will stop carrying it. :sniffle: Sadly, it seems to be true.

I've tasted European milk chocolate and it's fine -- actually milky and not so overpoweringly sweet as US milk ''chocolate.'' However, even with good chocolate, I prefer dark. My sister once sent me a big box of various dark chocolate bars from France, much better than anything I've ever gotten here.

But then, I'm one of those American citizens who doesn't approve of our government invading foreign countries, either. :wink: Of course, I play folk music, on instruments that most people don't even recognize, so I'm obviously a little weird. One thing I CAN say in favor of being American is that I have the freedom to reject large chunks of the popular culture as I see fit, and I appreciate that. The freedom to be our own weird selves is something we value in American culture, and especially in Alaska. (But traditional Alaskan sweets are horrid: what they call ''Eskimo ice cream'' is definitely something that you have to grow up eating to love; I find it horrifying.)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
djm

Post by djm »

HDSarah wrote:any product I really like (especially foods) will be discontinued by its maker, or at the very least, our local grocery stores will stop carrying it
I can SO relate.

djm
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Ghiradelli's isn't really very good and I don't think anybody who really likes chocolate would tell you otherwise. It's just that they have the "factory" there in San Fran so it's like a tourist thing. But you have to admit you at half the bar, so it did take you more than one bite...

They could have brought you a bar of Lindt, but then you can get that over there, can't you.

I like the single origin South American bars myself, and the Lindt, especially the one with pear in it. My god that is to die for.

Oh, and most food in the US is horrible. Don't come here for the food except to gawk at the portions. If you want good food, eat at an ethnic restaurant where the menu isn't in English.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird