Am I a sinner in your eyes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Does any play the recorder as well, or is that territory is the primrose path?

Yes, it is okay to play
73%
No, but I am interested but won't pursue because I am afraid of shunning
18%
Yes, but I feel guilty about it
9%

Total votes: 44

The_Celtic_Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Am I a sinner in your eyes?

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

I am learning to play the modern day flute, the fife, the whistle, recorder, and the didgeridoo, am I a sinner because of this?
Last edited by The_Celtic_Bard on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why build character when you already are one?
MagicSailor

Re: Am I a sinner in your eyes?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
The_Celtic_Bard wrote:I am learning to play the modern day flute, the fife, the whistle, recorder, and the didgeridoo, am I a sinner because of this?
Yes, definitely. Playing the rcrdr is an unforgivable sin. Your other vices are fine with me. :P

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I think the playing any instrument is important. I played clarinet for a long time, and liked it. I tried the recorder, but it never thrilled me enough to practice. Once I picked up a whistle, I couldn't put it down. I say if you like an instument, play it (even if it is a blasphemous recorder :D ).
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
ketida

Post by ketida »

Sigh. Yes, in my innocent and easily misguided youth, I owned and played rcrdrs.

Once I picked up a whistle I quickly realized my folly and I have spent the rest of my adulthood (well some of it anyway) trying to make up for the error of my ways.

I still have the rcrdrs however, if only to remind myself of how slippery that slope can be.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i gave my wife a r......long before i learned how to play the whistle. she tried figuring it out but gave up and put it in a drawer. one day a couple of months ago, while organizing, i found the whistle, picked it up, and played a song with only that f, f# error. you should have seen the fire in her eyes.

making any music is a beautiful thing.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ofloyd

Post by ofloyd »

I'm going to get bashed for this one but . . . I play them as well as whistles. There are a place for each IMO. I started on them and still play and love medieval, renaissance, and baroque music, where it fits. I recently started learning the whistle and celtic music where the whistle is best fit. I also use the whistle for some renaissance peices I like and it works very well.
The_Celtic_Bard

that is my reasoning as well ofloyd, i completely agree
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

Baroque music on the whistle doesn't sound right, just like Irish trad on the recorder. That's why each instrument has its scope.

BTW, Renaissance and Medieval music on the whistle sounds interesting and "proper".
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I love hearing the recorder in its place-playing Baroque music, but I loath hearing it used in Irish music. Now, it's not necessarily the instrument itself, but the playing style that sounds out-of-place. I've yet to hear anyone play Irish music on recorder with anything resembling an Irish style- the flow, the cuts and pats, the breathing, etc. Everyone I've heard play Irish music on recorder does the toot-toot-toot tongue-every-note style.
An analogy might exist with the Boehm flute- I've heard very traditional-sounding players play great Irish music on it.
The_Celtic_Bard

Well I am happy with my no name brand tin whistle
and my moeck mezzo recorder

have a nice day everyone
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey the celtic bard:

just on the off chance that you were a sinner, did you have any plans to get yourself redeemed? had you given any thought to what kind of penance you would receive? were you just going to wallow in your sin? deny it was even sin to start with? were you going to say that you didn't believe, as hard as you tried, that clarke was the creator?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I don't believe it is a sin to play a musical instrument. I believe the bible even says something about joyful noise. It would therefore be a sin not to play your instruments as they are fully capable of making noise.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I would say it is not sin to make music, no matter what you're making it on.

However, there are certain instruments suited to certain genres. When playing ITM, I would never think of using a r*corder. Likewise, if I'm playing baroque music, I would never reach for a tin whistle. A place for everything and everything in its place. When it comes to ITM, I am a purist in many aspects, and I know many people who are as well. These are the kind of folks who are likely to scoff at you for using the r*corder. But to each their own; just gotta take some people with a pillar of salt (meself included :P ).

If you wanted to sneak that r*corder into a session, just spray paint the body gold, the mouthpiece red, sit far enough from them purists, and with some luck it might be taken as a Gen.

How's Heather treating ya? :wink:

[Edited for content]
Last edited by lordofthestrings on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
The_Celtic_Bard

thanks for that lordofthestrings see you next session
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ACk! You heathen! :o

Watch out now... you've gone and painted that big red target on your back! :lol:

The 'r' word will usually get a rise... of humor from most, 'good-on-ye's from several, and a few 'how dare you's' of seriousness... just learn to duck and weave, and the really sharp stuff should miss you. :) :wink:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com