New CD from Matt Molloy and John Cary

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JimB

New CD from Matt Molloy and John Cary

Post by JimB »

Heard a rumour that anew CD was out by Matt Molloy and JOhn Carty but can't find anything about it on Matt Molloy's site. Anyone know anything about it
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

This on John Carty's website from a Google search....

"John performs regularly with Chieftain’s flautist Matt Molloy exploring the North Connaught tradition they both love. A CD of their music accompanied by Arty McGlynn will be launched shortly"
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

There have been rumors about an album from the two of them for a while. I believe things got held up and I'm not sure if its still in the works.

B
JimB

Matt Molloy and John Carty CD

Post by JimB »

Just looked up John Carty's website, thanks for the link and got this...

"Press Release

Pathway to the Well, a duet album featuring Matt Molloy on flute and John Carty on fiddle with accompaniement from Arty McGlynn will be released in January 2008 during a short Irish tour............

Preview copies of the CD will be available shortly to loyal website viewers only. To express an interest please contact info@johncartymusic.com"

Hope I qualify
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

That's great. Should be a fantastic album.

B
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

"A while" is putting it mildly, Brendan. I was at the Feakle Festival in August 2003 and Matt and John did a brilliant set there, during which they mentioned from stage that they would soon be doing a recording together. As we all know, time flows differently in Ireland than it does everywhere else. OTOH, I recall Catherine McEvoy telling me that she and her brother John had completed the recording of the album they did together, and it was another two or even three years after that before it finally was released. So there may be hope yet for Matt Molloy and John Carty. Perhaps they have something "in the can" by now and the holdup is elsewhere. We'll probably not know until it gets released, and if it doesn't get released we'll never know...
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Oops, looks like I got scooped while I was typing my reply. Damn my two slow typing fingers!
brotherwind

hi,

Post by brotherwind »

it's here:

http://www.johncartymusic.com/music.asp

I couldn't resist. I have just ordered a copy. :party: My wife might kill me though. :D

Cheers,

Moritz
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Sweet. My fingers are crossed that Carty will pick up the banjo for a track or two.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've taken the plunge! Christmas is coming........ I ordered the James Carty album that's on the website too on the strength of the sound clip provided.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
JimB

Matt Molloy and John Carty CD

Post by JimB »

Got my copy. It's a breath of fresh air! Great playing, simple and stylish. No banjo!
withak

Post by withak »

No banjo. :(
Henke

Post by Henke »

withak wrote:No banjo. :(
:party:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Unless it's Kieran Hanrahan playing, who cares "no banjo"?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

jemtheflute wrote:Unless it's Kieran Hanrahan playing, who cares "no banjo"?
Either you've never heard John Carty playing banjo, or we have vastly different tastes. For my money, his recent banjo album is easily one of the top 10 ITM albums made in the 21st century.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)