If you are new to Whistling and these boards...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Thanks for the link jkrazy52. I hadn't seen that one before.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
taity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by taity »

many thanks for the link :D
riverman

Post by riverman »

Don't forget the Whistle This site also. They play it slow, give you the sheet music--you have to be a complete moron to fail there!

(sometimes I'm a complete moron!!)
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I love using the search, but I use the Google search, not the built-in search. I'll put in some search terms and go on a spree of reading old topics. That's the beauty of this topic. The information doesn't go out of date.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

jkrazy52 wrote:Has anyone new ever effectively found anything through "search"?
All the time. If you put in more than one word, make sure to click on the
"Search for all terms" radiobutton. Or you can go to Google itself and put
in your search terms followed by "site:chiffboard.mati.ca" (without the
quotes)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The_Celtic_Bard wrote:I know this isn't the right forum but no one is one the one I need. Any suggestions for tune for beginners, possible fake books until I increase my music library so I could learn by ear. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
There is a GREAT book out there called Smoke in Your Eyes - a Compilation of Irish Tunes Played at Seattle Sessions by Caoimhin Gaimh (I believe that's 'Kevin Gow'). Mel Bay also has a session tune book.

My favorite reference online though, is JCs tunefinder.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

I find it helpfull to use the search function if you approach it in the most effective way. I havn't tried the google search but have had great sucess with the built in one.
Things I've noticed......

* Use as few words as possible, descriptive words like smaller, favorite, only, worst etc. only make the number of results climb and dilutes the results you actually want.

* use of the word "and" between key words works well....
For example if you wanted to know what people thought of the Generation Bb whistle , you would put in the top box.. "Generation and Bb". If you were to type in a phrase like " what is everyones favorite Bb whistle" , you would get so many results, you wouldn't know where to begin. Also like Fearfaion mentioned , make sure to click the "search for all terms" button. (and of course the correct forum button on the bottom)

DreamOgreen :)
Guinness

Re: If you are new to Whistling and these boards...

Post by Guinness »

anniemcu wrote:There are a lot of new faces...
Nice intro--thanks for that. It does raise an interesting question though: why isn't there a FAQ about whistles/technique/performance/favorite CDs/repertoire/abc/making/etc.? My guess is that a FAQ might actually reduce the number of questions and thus discussion and traffic.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Guinness wrote:
anniemcu wrote:There are a lot of new faces...
Nice intro--thanks for that. It does raise an interesting question though: why isn't there a FAQ about whistles/technique/performance/favorite CDs/repertoire/abc/making/etc.? My guess is that a FAQ might actually reduce the number of questions and thus discussion and traffic.
I totally agree, and it has been suggested before. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The_Celtic_Bard

Post by The_Celtic_Bard »

thanks to all that are helping out this newbie and the others, I am sure I speak for all that it warms our hearts

a bit sappy

but thanks for links, book titles, the lot
Why build character when you already are one?
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

The_Celtic_Bard wrote:thanks to all that are helping out this newbie and the others, I am sure I speak for all that it warms our hearts

a bit sappy

but thanks for links, book titles, the lot
Hey, I may be too old to remember much, but I sure remember the hunger for more input on whistling... not over it yet! :lol:
anniemcu
---
---
---
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

anniemcu wrote:There are a lot of new faces showing up here in the whistling world's premier meeting spot, and Welcome to all of you!!

Whistling is a wonderful thing, and learning more about it from those who've already been where you are is a great way to get started.

The very first thing you should learn is that the questions you have are not new. They have been asked over and over again here (and elsewhere, of course), and most of them have already been answered in great depth.

Try using the SEARCH feature at the top of the page before posting your 'Newby question

After you've done that, if you still have questions, then bring them to the boards and get more info.

It's a great place and a great bunch of people. Glad you found us.
OK, I did all the searching I could handle, and still could not find a definitive answer. What is the best color Meg whistle? Which one plays brighter yellow or red? Will a blues fingering sequence chart come with the blue one to play the blues? Where can I get the best price for a Meg?
This is all so overwelming :boggle:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

jkrazy52 wrote:Has anyone new ever effectively found anything through "search"? I haven't. It's frustrating to pop in a question and still have to sort through hundreds of threads .... and 9 times out of ten the little bit you want was a sidebar in a thread drift and won't show up ever. Even as an "oldbie" I hate search ... just my personal opinion BTW.

So welcome to newbies. If I know the answer I'll be glad to share it ... over and over and over again.

Celtic Bard, here's a link to a Scottish music site Traditional Music by Nigel Gatherer. A nice site with some instructions and tunes. Hope you find it useful.

Judy
OK - I am a complete nitwit - how do we make words that are actually links to URLs without having to type the URL? As TRADITIONAL MUSIC above?

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Tommy wrote:
OK, I did all the searching I could handle, and still could not find a definitive answer. What is the best color Meg whistle? Which one plays brighter yellow or red? Will a blues fingering sequence chart come with the blue one to play the blues? Where can I get the best price for a Meg?
This is all so overwelming :boggle:
Mauve.
Chartreuse.
Orange.
Usually in plain old black and white.
Somewhere over the rainbow.

Glad I could help. :D
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

pastorkeith wrote:
OK - I am a complete nitwit - how do we make words that are actually links to URLs without having to type the URL? As TRADITIONAL MUSIC above?

pastorkeith
Replace the "( & )" with "[ & ]"

(url=http://www.nigelgatherer.com./)Traditional Music(/url)

Traditional Music

You can often find this out by quoting the post and reading the code in the quote section.
anniemcu
---
---
---