Even more evidence of a terrible American malaise

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Even more evidence of a terrible American malaise

Post by SteveShaw »

:lol: Did I get your attention then? :lol:

Actually, this is serious. I have friends who have just returned from a holiday in San Francisco. They were there at the same time as Nicky and I were in Cyprus. We bought them a bottle of Cyprus brandy and a bottle of the sort of concentrated lemon squash that you can't get in the UK, the two ingredients (in addition to soda water) that you need to make the national beverage of Cyprus, the Brandy Sour. They bought us the usual US tee-shirts with California emblazoned across the front (not bad this time, actually - much better than the awful grey "Orlando" ones they bought us on their last visit!) and, wait for it, two bars of what presumably passes over your end for "chocolate." The brand is Ghirardelli and the two "flavours" (a word I use advisedly) were milk chocolate and milk chocolate with caramel. We had the misfortune to eat half a bar each of the latter earlier on this evening. Well, we both feel ill. How can so much sugar be concentrated into such compact bars!! And where was the actual chocolate! It did, I admit, smell vaguely like chocolate upon peeling back the wrapper, but such hopes rapidly evaporated as soon as a morsel was inserted into the mouth. Now there was nought but sugar and plenty of it. It was the sugariest sugary thing to pass my lips since the sweet prince of the Kingdom of Syrup and Sugar and his wife Princess Honeypie declared that the world shall be to the exclusion of all other considerations an exceptionally sugary place.

I really must ask several things. Do any of you actually eat this stuff? If you do, is it because you've done something wrong and are being punished? Is this stuff heavily promoted by the dental profession in order to drum up business? Can you buy actual real chocolate your end? I fear for you all. I know how important the aquisition of chocolate and its subsequent consumption is to many Merkins (as indeed it is to me too!). But if this stuff is the epitome, the alpha-to-omega, the dog's danglies, then all I've got to say to you is no wonder you like invading foreign countries. You're clearly after their bloody chocolate!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:no wonder you like invading foreign countries. You're clearly after their bloody chocolate!
No, it was just a sugar-induced bit of hyperactivity.

The only way to ensure you get a real chocolate bar is to check the label to ensure it contains a minimum of 70% real cocoa.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It was the sugariest sugary thing to pass my lips since the sweet prince of the Kingdom of Syrup and Sugar and his wife Princess Honeypie declared that the world shall be to the exclusion of all other considerations an exceptionally sugary place.
Oh, dear! Milk chocolate here is very sugary. Milk chocolate with caramel is even MORE sugary.

As djm said, you have to go for the dark, or >70% cocoa, kind.

But, yes, that being said, we DO like it sugary! Just be glad he didn't bring you a regular bar of Hershey's. :lol:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Research was published recently documenting the significantly lower level of health in the US compared to the UK. One obvious difference is the perponderance of corn syrup in the US food supply.

Best wishes,
Jerry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ummm...

You do understand that caramel is nothing more than lightly toasted sugar, right?

I mean, I couldn't help but think, if you're going to eat something with caramel in it, you should probably expect to taste quite a bit of sugar, seeing as how that's what real caramel is made from.

But that's just me.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

James, you obviously have never eaten half a pound (the minimum in one sitting) of Thornton's original caramel toffee. Sweet, yes, but balanced by a cheery acidity and lovely mouth-feel. I did not get this with my Ghirardelli. And Lambchop, thank you for reminding me of the brand name, Hershey's, of the stuff they brought back last year. Yes, I have to admit that it was even worse!

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

deleted. I did NOT post this three times! This board is getting hard to send a post to these days. :evil:
Last edited by SteveShaw on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

deleted.

Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Research was published recently documenting the significantly lower level of health in the US compared to the UK. One obvious difference is the perponderance of corn syrup in the US food supply.

Best wishes,
Jerry
For eight years I lived in Lafayette, Indiana, and on both sides of town hugh corn-processing plants polluted the air with a white, noxious mixture of toxic gasses. The town residents were totally at the mercy of the daily wind direction. The trucks full of grain would line up to dump their loads of corn, and whole trains of tanker cars carrying corn syrup would leave town for destinations all over the world. I vowed to myself that I would leave town just as soon as I was economically able to do so, as the putrid smell of corn processing was not what I wanted to smell for the rest of my life. So, you see, I am harboring some hostile feelings about corn syrup.

With regard to chocolate, I purchase Belgian dark chocolate at a very reasonable price from my Trader Joe's grocery store. Another one of my favorites has 88% cocoa, a Black Panther bar, made right here in Indianapolis. In the past five years there has been a literal explosion of chocolate choices available in every supermarket.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

Mars bar it aint! Youre right about that..
however, our salty crunchy products are clearly superior: :P

nacho cheese doritos
chex mix
cheetos
old bay chips
herr's
and the venerable philly soft pretzel.

Just picked the wrong state for prime US junk food.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Unfortunately, what they brought you was the stuff Ghirardelli produces for the mass market. Ghirardelli makes wonderful chocolate, but those little artificially flavored squares are pure evil.

For a real taste of San Francisco's finest, however, they should have brought you a loaf of Boudin's Sourdough and a bottle of Anchor Steam. What were they thinking?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

As well as Scharffen Berger Chocolate. Real chocolate. REAL DARK CHOCOLATE...hmmm

Well OK, real across the bay chocolate (in Berkeley)
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Not a big chocolate person here, but I do like white chocolate. Can't stand dark chocolate.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The thing is, most Americans don't like chocolate. They like Hershey's and that's about it. Just like how most Americans don't really like classical music, only Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm eating about the fifth piece of some tasty chocolate as I type this.
It is homemade and has plenty of cocoa.
I did not make it.
That is another reason why it is so good.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West