need help identifying a whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
martina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

need help identifying a whistle

Post by martina »

I hope someone may help me to identify a whistle. My great grandmother and her friend came across a whistle in her friend's belongings...and gave it to my great grandmother. The friend has no recollection of where this might have come from...but she's always saved everything and has many wonderful antiques. The whistle is a silver color, it looks to be a pennywhistle (from the descriptions and pictures I've found on the net). It does not have a separate mouthpiece, but looks to be one continuous piece of metal with the end molded into a mouthpiece. It is worn and looks very old. It has an american eagle symbol stamped into the top of it slightly below the mouthpiece. She thinks it is military because it has the eagle symbol and US. It has a large C within a circle...which I believe means its in the key of C? She had an auctioneer pick up many items to sell at an auction house, and the owner offered her $75 on the spot for the whistle...but didn't tell her that he knew what it was...odd? No one in the friend's family has been in the military, so there's no indication of where it came from? Is there a place to start to try and identify this piece?
Thanks so much for your help!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

It may not be military. I think some were produced for school use similar to what you describe.
Reasonable person
Walden
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've seen one and played it as part of an exhibit of civil war era artefacts (it was; I wasn't part of the exhibit). If I had one, I'd have taken the 75 clams. AFAIK there's nothing like a rare collectible whistle that's worth big bucks.

There's a thin chance that civil-war re-enacters might want such a prop well enough to drive up the price, but if that's the case I've never heard of it.

I'm not promising that the whistle I'm thinking of definitely WAS a genuine civil waera artefact; I suspect that the person who put the exhibit together merely thought it "looked right". If it was a treasure, they wouldn't have had it out for any visiter to pick up and fiddle with.

The sound was thin and unremarkable, and the design, if I'm remembering, was a touch more slender than a Clarke original in C.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Moved the thread from Announcements - that's basically an administrative forum that members can post replies on - to here where it belongs, and ought to fare better. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Sounds kinda like a Shaw except for the eagle part. Do you have a photo?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

A photo would be a big help.

As a Civil War era player, I'd definitely be very interested to see it.

Be aware that the fipple may be lead. :o
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

You say it is "silver". If it is made of relatively heavy, cast material, it may be pewter. Evidently early British and European whistles were often made of pewter.

I have a very nice sounding conical one, but that early pewter contained lead. For obvious reasons, I don't play it regularly, but it's fun to pull out and show friends.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I once owned one similar...but it was in B. The fipple plug is indeed lead or lead-pewter. The body was tin. unfortunately, the whistle met its end whenever i attempted to remove the plug and it resulted in the decapitation of the instrument. I did NOT pay anything close to $75 bucks for it. I STRONGLY suggest you take that money since you probably won't get it in any other market!!!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Steamwalker wrote:Is this the same one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0185679892