Desperate Husband Wants To Help Wife

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DoubbleQue

Desperate Husband Wants To Help Wife

Post by DoubbleQue »

Hi I don't know the first thing about music never mind about sheet music.

But my wife used to play the flute very well back in school, and loves a certain song called "Irish Washerwoman" problem is through her hundreds of books on music sheets she does not seem to have that particular song anymore.

I have been searching through google and hundreds of sites trying to find a download version of just this song for flute.

It does not matter if its a buy or free download I just really need this song, it's killing my wife that she does not have it. And i want to be able to do this for her. So if anyone can help me, if they have a copy or know where i can download a copy of the "band version" I believe it is of the "Irish Washerwoman"

Many thanks.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

click on the link:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/92

(for payment, send $5 to the pakistan flute relief fund c/o jungle jim.)
Last edited by rama on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hello, to the ITM community!

Is there anybody here who does not know the melody to The Irish Washerwoman?

If ever there could be an introduction to ITM...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

You're in luck. It's a pretty common tune.

Here's the ABCs for a version I found on thesession site http://www.thesession.org

X: 1
T: Irish Washerwoman, The
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Gmaj
|:BGG DGG|BGB dcB|cAA EAA|cAc edc|
BGG DGG|BGB dcB|cBc Adc|BGG G3:|
|:BGG DGG|BGB BAG|AFF DFF|AFA AGF|
EGG DGG|CGG B,GG|cBc Adc|BGG G3:|

That's a good site for tunes, and free.

To convert ABCs to sheet music form, I use the converter at concertina.net:

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Enjoy!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

That transcription on the session is rather bland. I've seen much better ones. But it will do. She'd probably also like the Jig of Slurs (or Jug of Slurs). It's kind of similarly familiar.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
DoubbleQue

Post by DoubbleQue »

Wow you guys are really helpful. I can't thank you enough.

I myself am more of a listener i love it when my wife plays for me, so you wont see me around here much other than now.

Although my wife will take over this account. I am sure she will thank you all also.
Cork

Post by Cork »

DoubbleQue wrote:Wow you guys are really helpful. I can't thank you enough.

I myself am more of a listener i love it when my wife plays for me, so you wont see me around here much other than now.

Although my wife will take over this account. I am sure she will thank you all also.
My greetings to your wife, but now that you and your wife are here, why don't you both stick around, and join this flute playing community, please?

:-)
DoubbleQue

Post by DoubbleQue »

Oh i will pop in now and then, and my wife will be more then happy to join, more so with how active and helpful you all are.

She took a few years off the flute and recently pulled out her old flute and has been slowly regaining her skill. And was pretty upset when she couldnt find her fave song (and did not remember the notes)

But seeing how she is trying to get back into it, and i am pushing her in a supportive way, i am sure she would love to join your community.

She shall be home in about 30 minutes. I will let her know about you guys and get her to introduce herself.

By the way another quick question. I checked out the links you all sent, and the score? or sheets? for that song seem......short. is that just how it goes or is there a longer version? i just cant see her being this upset about not remembering that little of a song.
Cork

Post by Cork »

DoubbleQue wrote:...By the way another quick question. I checked out the links you all sent, and the score? or sheets? for that song seem......short. is that just how it goes or is there a longer version? i just cant see her being this upset about not remembering that little of a song.
Frankly, it really is not so little of a song, for The Irish Washerwoman could be played with joy for hour after hour, and your wife is blessed to remember it.

C'mon, join in!
cocusflute

Tune, not song---

Post by cocusflute »

By the way-- a song has words.
A tune does not.

The Irish Washerwoman is a tune. Not a song.

I don't much like the title.
I find it degrading and stereotypical.
Still, it's a wonderful tune.
I call it The Irish Cardiac Surgeon.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The Irish Washerwoman is a tune. Not a song.
Depends on the way you look at it if you take the angle of the

'When I was lad I was merry and frisky,
My da kept a pig and my mother sold whiskey..'

you're definitely in song territory.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

i bet your wife you like you to ask her to teach you to play the whistle. then you could play duets. join the dark side luke.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i bet your wife you like you to ask her to teach you to play the whistle. then you could play duets. join the dark side luke.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

You mentioned your wife played this tune in band. I remembered it from a Gustav Holst band suite. Did a quick search, and here's the information:

http://www.barbwired.com/barbweb/progra ... anets.html

Note the part about the final movement, Fantasia on Dargason.

So, I take it your wife is playing the silver flute? Introduce her to the Irish/wooden flute! Even more fun!

Jeanie
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

There are much longer versions. I had one somewhere, but I think it's on paper so not much help to you. I think it had 4 parts instead of two.

Anyway, just play it over and over again.

Here's a funny video. Made me laugh anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFxMTn6hL-Y
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird