Playing with other people...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Playing with other people...

Post by anniemcu »

PallasAthena wrote:I have some experience playing music with other people, but not ITM. I've always been very nervous playing in front of people, so that really doesn't help. And now that I actually occasionally play with one or two other people, I'm finding myself completely lost. I know it is not uncommon for your best playing by yourself to be a slightly better than your playing in front of others, but I find that there is a HUGE difference. I thought playing without music as much as possible would be best becasue it's one less thing to worry about, but I tend to get nervous and forget even tunes I know well. Playing with music obviously helps with this, but it's rather irratating. And then there's hte getting lost for no apparent reason and misidentifying the tune that's being played...I really don't see why this is so confusing, but some how it is.
Welcome to my world. :) i've been at it for thirty years plus. It does get better... somewhat... :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
evenstr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by evenstr »

I find it helps if you play in front of people who've never seen or heard a whistle. For example: I'm in a play that is a series of monologues about war. At the end I asked if I could play "Amazing Grace" on the whistle. I got permission. The first time I played it for the cast, I was shaking; but now I can play it with no problem, at least in front of that group. I realize "Amazing Grace" is a pretty easy song, but that doesn't matter if you're so nervous you can't breathe.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

evenstr wrote:I find it helps if you play in front of people who've never seen or heard a whistle. For example: I'm in a play that is a series of monologues about war. At the end I asked if I could play "Amazing Grace" on the whistle. I got permission. The first time I played it for the cast, I was shaking; but now I can play it with no problem, at least in front of that group. I realize "Amazing Grace" is a pretty easy song, but that doesn't matter if you're so nervous you can't breathe.
And somehow the though of using it to honor those who've served, or passed gives a bit of strength and steadiness, doesn't it? Waltzing Mathilda is another good one for that.
anniemcu
---
---
---
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

anniemcu, you stirred up a memory that brought tears to my eyes.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

It's all in the mind...

I'm a newbie as well and I have to say, first time I tried to join in on a tune in the session, nerves got me as well. But as said before : they were all beginners at one stage or another.

And I reckon it's like learning a language (I know five) : you don't get better unless you speak it. And if people laugh 'cause you've made a mistake either it's because it's funny (like using a word in the wrong context, which can be funny) or, if it's not funny and they're just laughing at your ineptitude, they're the ones being stupid, not you... Cause at least you're making the effort to get better and you will, in time...

So either way, shrug away the laughter (if there is any) and concentrate on what's important : conveing the sentiment behind the words (or notes, in our case). Again, only practise makes perfect...
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

YOu might try closing your eyes or looking down at the floor. All the other people in a room at a session can be very confusing and distracting. Shut all that extra input out and you can concentrate on your own playing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

peeplj wrote:anniemcu, you stirred up a memory that brought tears to my eyes.

--James
I hope it is a memory that makes you feel good in the end. If not, I humbly apologize.
anniemcu
---
---
---
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

anniemcu wrote:
peeplj wrote:anniemcu, you stirred up a memory that brought tears to my eyes.

--James
I hope it is a memory that makes you feel good in the end. If not, I humbly apologize.
No apologies necessary, and no worries.

Once I stood in the cold rain beside a coffin and played Amazing Grace on a fife. It wasn't supposed to be me, but my good friend Pat's pipes weren't playing right that day due to his reeds, so it fell to me to be my duty.

This was at my mom's funeral just after Christmas last year. It was the single hardest thing I've yet done.

As the holidays approach, I'm finding that memories of my mom and all things related are almost always popping into my head, usually at unexpected times.

It's actually a good memory in a way: it was the very last thing I could do for her in the life, and I did it as well as I could do.

Pride is cold comfort, but sometimes it's all ya got.

--James

P.S. Sorry about introducing a morbid turn into the thread. I seem to have a talent for that lately.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
HDSarah

Re: Playing with other people...

Post by HDSarah »

PallasAthena wrote:I have some experience playing music with other people, but not ITM. I've always been very nervous playing in front of people, so that really doesn't help. And now that I actually occasionally play with one or two other people, I'm finding myself completely lost. ...I really don't see why this is so confusing, but some how it is.
I think there are two different factors in this. One, which several people have addressed well already, is performance anxiety. Yes, it DOES get easier with practice, especially if you can play with the same people in the same place enough times to start developing a comfort zone there. After years of playing every week with friends at a local coffeehouse, I've gone from utterly terrified to pretty comfortable when I perform at the coffeehouse. I still get nervous in situations that are more concert-like, but I'm MUCH better. Playing whistle, or singing, is much harder than playing a non-aerophone: you can't get the right notes on whistle or vocally if you can't breathe, but you CAN play a stringed instrument while breathing faster and more shallowly than normal. :wink:

The other factor is that when we play alone all the time many of us start to develop bad habits regarding rhythm. We slow down in spots and speed up in others, and we often aren't even aware we're doing it. When I was already pretty good at holding a steady beat on a stringed instrument, I still found that trying to breathe while playing whistle would throw my timing off, especially if I was already nervous and breathing oddly. For that problem, I'd recommend playing with recordings. One of the big things to learn in playing with others is how to get lost (that's the easy part :D ), and then how to jump back in. You need more practice playing along with a group that won't slow down or stop for you. If possible, bring a tape recorder or other device to the session with you and record it. Then play along at home for practice.

To Diane: I abandoned thesession.org years ago because they were so nasty. It wasn't a happy place to be. Don't listen to people on the internet who say nasty things to you, especially if they're on that site. :P I hope people on C&F haven't been nasty to you. I don't read anywhere near everything here, but it seems like certain people like to snit at each other, and if you aren't a snitter, you're fairly unlikely to become the snittee. It's great that you've found a welcoming real-life session! That's what matters. Keep going; learn their tunes; get to know them -- they may become good friends. That's what's important.

To James: I'm sorry for your loss. I think remembering loved ones I've lost is always good, in spite of the pangs. I wouldn't ever want to forget those people.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I didn't read all the responses, so maybe someone has suggested this already. Try practicing in public or semi-public places such as a park or in your back yard (if you live in the city). I was even nervous in parks at one time, but playing there helped a lot. You get to meet some interesting people too.
Short bio: 1952-
arnie

Post by arnie »

I play in a group. I play the guitar for a long time and just starte to play along with my Gen D. It sounded nice. I got some lessons and I get a bit better. But for me, it's not about playing exactly the right notes without making mistakes, it's about practising and playing music. I make mistakes all the time, but my main worry is to keep the rhythm and not to stop but to play on. Our violinist and I are so acquainted with eachother's manners that if one makes a mistake or does something else or suddenly stops, the other ones just falles in with his instrument. It's experience and letting yourself go in the music. Do not be afraid of not being perfect, you'll grow, I grow!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

At the session last night during a lull I decided to just go for it and started playing Swinging on a Gate. I actually started a tune and everybody picked up on it. One guy even quit a conversation and ran over to get his guitar. But he was too late so we played it again. Then I had to try to play with a guitar backing. I couldn't figure out how to get started with his guitar going. But I just went for it and it worked.

Another beginner started a tune too last night after me.

We beginners have to just do it. Otherwise it's just all these really difficult tunes we can't play. And how will we learn to play with others if we never get a chance? Gotta make your chance.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

we had a visiting priest before Mass one weekend. my wife tells me right before Mass that one of the songs we'll be playing is one that he wrote. it was too late to pick another song so we ruined that one. i still don't like playing his songs in front of him.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

sbfluter wrote:We beginners have to just do it. Otherwise it's just all these really difficult tunes we can't play. And how will we learn to play with others if we never get a chance? Gotta make your chance.
Well said, Diane - and well done!

A thought on the nerves/playing in the park suf=ggestion. In my student days when I was first developing as a flute and whistle player, once I got tolerably competent with about half-an hour's worth of material learnt by heart (classical as well as folk), I used to go busking in Cardiff city centre. Never made much money (fl & wh aren't good busking instruments unaccompanied - can be heard three streets away but not close up!), but it is a great way to kick yourself through the nerves - make yourself have the gall to actually do it, but then, once you've picked a pitch and started making noises, most folk just ignore you or pass by with only a glance - even if you're really good! When you do get direct attention, it does raise your exposure consciousness, but even if it is noxious kids or drunks taking the mickey, you know it will be transient, or worst case, you can stop playing till they give up, or just pack up and leave - so your exposure is much more limited and under your own control, with no real external pressure on you to maintain a serious performance, unlike doing a spot as a "floor-singer" at a folk club or leading off a set at a session, let alone playing a gig. On the other hand, if you do get an interested/admiring crowd and get through your latest showpiece with aplomb, you'll feel as good about it as anywhere - and it is usually at least a moderately profitable way of getting in a few hours practice!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads