Tweaker for Shaw G and low D needed

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Tweaker for Shaw G and low D needed

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I'm looking for someone who tweaks Shaws. I have a G and (hopefully) a low D that I need done. I played a low D that had the windway flattened and also had the last tone hole raised. Does anyone know who might have done it?
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

shaw tweakers

Post by mahanpots »

I'd be interested in knowing also.

I have a Shaw high and low D and a Shaw low F that I play. I find the low F plays beautifully, just takes a bit of air. The low D, I'm still trying to figure out. Takes a lot of breath too. Seems the harder I play the low D, the better it sounds.

Michael

I'd love to hear a clip by you on the whistles.

Here's a couple of clips on my Shaw low D:

http://www.whistlethis.com/index.php?co ... eE5RPT0%3D

http://www.whistlethis.com/index.php?co ... NU1BPT0%3D

Michael
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

Michael, That sounds good!!
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Thanks Steve,

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort to learn the Shaw low D. I've no experience with other low ds except one I saw when I bought the Shaw. I can't remember what it was but it played completely different than the Shaw. It had grooves inside the fipple running along the length of the airway. It took hardly any air to make a sound with it, and I thought I'd rather have the Shaw because it played louder.

Michael
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jerry Freeman tweeks Shaws.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tucson Whistler

Re: shaw tweakers

Post by Tucson Whistler »

They sound great. I can't wait to get the low D and get practicing.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
johnnyboi

Post by johnnyboi »

I've a Shaw low D (for sale in another thread) and I do love the tone of it. It is, if you can imagine, at the opposite extremity of the 'cosmic drainpipe' sound of my Overton. Conveniently the finger-stretch is also lesser than on other low Ds I've played.
But their reputation of high-air requirements is well-deserved. For someone like me with a small lung capacity (and a smoking habit), I needed something with more back pressure.

I heard Fred Morisson play this whistle at his recital in Maclean the other year and he had mastered it. Needless to say it was breathtaking (no pun intended!).

So yeah.. not the easiest whistle to pick up and play but worth the investment of effort.

I thought of tweaking mine to flatten the windway but I was scared of ruining it so I thought I'd just sell it and buy a different make. My new Reviol kinda sits in between the two extremities of tone.