Waking Ned Devine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Both series of Irish R.M. are on DVD. I also have the soundtrack CD. The Irish R.M. books have lots more stories in them, but somehow weren't nearly as funny as the tv show.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Irish R.M. is the first series I ever recorded on my first vcr. I've still got it. Law, that was a long time ago....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

what's a vcr?? :D
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I love Waking Ned but I can't quite understand why Devine needed to be added to the title in the US.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline

Post by emmline »

jbarter wrote:I love Waking Ned but I can't quite understand why Devine needed to be added to the title in the US.
I don't understand why Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was changed to Sorcerer's Stone for the U.S. market, or why Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights was changed to The Golden Compass.

I suppose Americans must be thought incapable of grasping subtlety, and perhaps--in many cases--that's an accurate charge.

edited for errant reflexive apostrophe usage.
Last edited by emmline on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My favourite movie name change was when the play The Madness Of George III was filmed as The Madness Of King George. The reason given was that if Americans saw that 'III' in the title they would assume it was a sequel and not watch it because they hadn't seen the other two.
(BTW, my name is John)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jbarter wrote:My favourite movie name change was when the play The Madness Of George III was filmed as The Madness Of King George. The reason given was that if Americans saw that 'III' in the title they would assume it was a sequel and not watch it because they hadn't seen the other two.
Oh, and I suppose you're gonna tell us that Georges I and II weren't mad?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

jsluder wrote:
jbarter wrote:My favourite movie name change was when the play The Madness Of George III was filmed as The Madness Of King George. The reason given was that if Americans saw that 'III' in the title they would assume it was a sequel and not watch it because they hadn't seen the other two.
Oh, and I suppose you're gonna tell us that Georges I and II weren't mad?
No it's definitely the IIIs that are mad. You just wait until we get Charles III.
(BTW, my name is John)
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I saw Waking Ned Devine several years ago. I remember that I loved it, but I'm fuzzy on the details now. I'd better go rent it again. :D
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

We have the dvd of Waking Ned. I can't remember if it was because the Irish was a little thick in spots or if the dialog was too soft, but I do remember that there were parts I had trouble understanding. I need to watch it again.

There is an other movie from out of Ireland that had a great premise and I think would have been much better if it was recast with Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy or someone who could give more character to the comedic role. It's about a black guy from Los Angeles who receives word that he has won a pub in a tiny Irish coastal town. He has no clue where the island is and thinks he is going to some tropical paradise. He has no more idea about Irish culture and music than the town's people have about his culture and music. I think the pub is ready to be repossessed by the bank and the town is looking to him to save the pub. I don't remember much about the movie, only that it was a disappointment with so many missed opportunities to play off of the cultural differences from both sides, and in turn learn something about themselves as well as the other person.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

:lol:
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

emmline wrote:I enjoyed it. The old lady going over the cliff in the phone booth was a little rough, but funny.
"I don't remember that part" thinks I. "Isn't it funny what you don't remember?" I call up the cliff-top scene. "The next parish west," I hear, "is the parish of New York." And then I realize I'm actually thinking of Hear my Song starring Ned Beatty.

Unless I'm mistaken, there was some flutin' in it on the voyage back to Liverpool. IMDB isn't confessing whom that might have been. They do say that Nollaig Casey was the (uncredited) fiddle player.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis