Nominees for the worst things ever said...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Nominees for the worst things ever said...

Post by cowtime »

pastorkeith wrote:to someone who has lost a loved one.

(1) At least you didn't have children

(2) I'm sure you'll find someone else

(3) Don't be sad - it is all part of God's plan

(Actual comments - by the way)

Sometimes we just need to listen patiently, hold tightly and keep our mouths shut and let people know that we love them and let them grieve.
pastorkeith
I can't imagine anyone saying any of the above to someone who has suffered such a loss.

Anyone making any of these statements will deserve an appropriate response/reaction.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

anniemcu wrote:
BillChin wrote:Let me disagree--I'm not seeing the problem. There are plenty of other times that rude and stupid things are said, and not just after someone has died. Some people are little impacted by the passing of a relative or friend, some are greatly so. Walking on eggshells and trying to be politically correct by avoiding tried and true phrases might be the last thing the grieving person wants.

The reason cliches and platitudes are so popular is because they are often appropriate. My opinion is that no words mentioned in the thread, are going to matter that much or add much to the pain. Pastor's and counselors are there to listen, let them play their role. The real world goes on. When the grieving are ready to go on too, the real world will be there.

The worst things I have heard said are along the lines of "it's your fault, so-and-so is dead, or did you know that you made so-and-so unhappy for so many years by your actions or inactions." Close is, "you were always mean to that person, don't you regret it now." None of the other phrases mentioned in the thread come close.

My honest opinion is to say get a grip people. Use a cliche if that is what comes to mind, 90% don't mind it, or have used the same phrases themselves, and the 10% that do, are probably in for a long ride no matter what is done or said.
That bunch of words sounds like something someone who hasn't experience this might say. Certainly someone who hasn't been in deep grief lately.
Maybe they are words said out of my own anger at the forum. I've posted about personal loss on more than one occasion. Sometimes I've had one or two sympathy posts. Sometimes none.

I've had more than my share of grief, so I take your response bitterly and angrily. An apology would be appropriate, maybe you can even throw in a few cliches and platitudes.

For example I posted these song lyrics, and the story about my friend's suicide, and got zip/zilch/nada from the politically correct crowd on the forum:

Light on the Ocean

Some days, its too heavy,
Some nights, its too dark
Some days, I want to fade away,
Some nights, I fall apart

My friend, dear friend, look out on the ocean,
My friend, dear friend, gaze upon the sea.
and you’ll see a light on the ocean,
and feel the calm of the waves,
when you see a light on the ocean,
you'll know everything's okay.

Some day, I’ll reach for heaven
Some night, I’ll touch the sky
Some days, you’ll remember
Some nights, you’ll wonder why

When you see a light on the ocean,

Some days...
Some nights...
/ whistle solo /

When you feel the calm of the waves,
--
Lisa lost her battle with bipolar disorder and committed suicide 1-16-2004. Readers know that I volunteer with a mental health group, Chicago headquartered Recovery International. Like I said, I've seen more than my share of rain and would like an apology for your crude statements. The song lyrics I take as a message from Lisa.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'll be the first to say I am very sorry. On my dad's side of my family we have more than our share of folks who are bi-polar and have also had those who reached their limit(my grandmother was one) and decided to end it all. It is hard.

I have no excuses or idea why I did not respond to your original post.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

BillChin wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
BillChin wrote:Let me disagree--I'm not seeing the problem. There are plenty of other times that rude and stupid things are said, and not just after someone has died. Some people are little impacted by the passing of a relative or friend, some are greatly so. Walking on eggshells and trying to be politically correct by avoiding tried and true phrases might be the last thing the grieving person wants.

The reason cliches and platitudes are so popular is because they are often appropriate. My opinion is that no words mentioned in the thread, are going to matter that much or add much to the pain. Pastor's and counselors are there to listen, let them play their role. The real world goes on. When the grieving are ready to go on too, the real world will be there.

The worst things I have heard said are along the lines of "it's your fault, so-and-so is dead, or did you know that you made so-and-so unhappy for so many years by your actions or inactions." Close is, "you were always mean to that person, don't you regret it now." None of the other phrases mentioned in the thread come close.

My honest opinion is to say get a grip people. Use a cliche if that is what comes to mind, 90% don't mind it, or have used the same phrases themselves, and the 10% that do, are probably in for a long ride no matter what is done or said.
That bunch of words sounds like something someone who hasn't experience this might say. Certainly someone who hasn't been in deep grief lately.
Maybe they are words said out of my own anger at the forum. I've posted about personal loss on more than one occasion. Sometimes I've had one or two sympathy posts. Sometimes none.

I've had more than my share of grief, so I take your response bitterly and angrily. An apology would be appropriate, maybe you can even throw in a few cliches and platitudes.

For example I posted these song lyrics, and the story about my friend's suicide, and got zip/zilch/nada from the politically correct crowd on the forum:

Light on the Ocean

Some days, its too heavy,
Some nights, its too dark
Some days, I want to fade away,
Some nights, I fall apart

My friend, dear friend, look out on the ocean,
My friend, dear friend, gaze upon the sea.
and you’ll see a light on the ocean,

Some day, I’ll reach for heaven
Some night, I’ll touch the sky
Some days, you’ll remember
Some nights, you’ll wonder why

Some days...
Some nights...
/ whistle solo /

When you feel the calm of the waves,
--
Lisa lost her battle with bipolar disorder and committed suicide 1-16-2004. Readers know that I volunteer with a mental health group, Chicago headquartered Recovery International. Like I said, I've seen more than my share of rain and would like an apology for your crude statements. The song lyrics I take as a message from Lisa.
I must not have seen the post or I would definitely have responded, as I know all too well what it feels like to lose a loved one. I am indeed sorry for your loss, and for somehow not noting it when it happened.

I still think your words were rude. If your pain makes you so angry at the boards that you would react that way, rather than say, "hey, i could really use some support right now", it pretty much proves the point others have made that folks get pretty upset when the wrong thing (or no thing) is said to them.

Again, i am so sorry to hear about your friend's suicide. Our neighbors just had a nephew do the same yesterday. It is such a sad, sad thing to know that someone felt so helpless/hopeless that leaving this world was the only way they could see to cope. It leaves a gaping hole in the hearts of all who loved them.

Please, Reach out, don't lash out. Even this far after, there are plenty of folks here who care. A lot.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

You are correct.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:

You are correct.
I agree with Bill's premise that these platitudes are often used because people feel they must say something, and repeat things they've heard before. If we can see the comments as not meant to hurt, we'd be better off. (I agree with annie that those comments to her daughter were way off base though. Sometimes people just aren't sensitive to their own insensitivity.)

I also agree that it a good thing to take note of the opening premise of this thread--there are MUCH better ways to express sympathy, and anyone who can learn this for future use is doing a good thing.

Bill, sometimes people post heartfelt lyrics, thoughts, or poetry on the Board, and it seems (to me) that they just want to express something and aren't particularly looking for commentary. Maybe that's how your poem came across. Sometimes I read posts like that, and I think about them, take them in, but can't think of anything to add.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emmline wrote:
Bill, sometimes people post heartfelt lyrics, thoughts, or poetry on the Board, and it seems (to me) that they just want to express something and aren't particularly looking for commentary. Maybe that's how your poem came across. Sometimes I read posts like that, and I think about them, take them in, but can't think of anything to add.
I'm sure this is right. I think a lot of us have posted things that meant a lot to us and got either no response or an inappropriate one; I know I sometimes have. I've certainly never been in quite the position Bill describes, and I'm sorry, Bill, if I could have responded to you and didn't, but, like many, I'm sometimes barely present here and other times I spend quite a bit of time here. Things do slip past.

I don't think the reason that many of us experience disappointment from time to time is political correctness or any other personality defect. I think maybe we don't quite appreciate the extent to which an internet community is unlike a three dimensional community; I no longer take silence or inappropriateness as callous or as a rebuke but just as a reflection of who was around and how they were feeling on that particular day. An internet community this large is, through no fault of its own, a rabble, and like any rabble it sometimes doesn't behave as well as its members would like it to behave.
djm

Post by djm »

BillChin wrote:I've had more than my share of grief, so I take your response bitterly and angrily. An apology would be appropriate, maybe you can even throw in a few cliches and platitudes.
What a load of horsesh!t. Who are you to lay guilt trips on anyone if they don't comment on your maudlin, drippy verse? This is the Pub. People here can respond or not as they choose. What makes you think anyone here owes you any sympathy? What makes you think your self-righteous zealotry earns you brownie points with anyone here?

Get a grip.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

We can certainly continue with the original topic but this personal stuff needs to stop.

Thanks.
Jack

Post by Jack »

BillChin wrote:Again, get a grip. In the grand scheme of things, saying something like "it is God's plan," or "so-and-so is in a better place," is nothing, nada, zilch, has zero impact, or very close to zero impact. Really. You're telling me that grieving sobbing people are complaining to you about these kind of statements or expressions of sympathy? I call bumpkus and psychobabble on that statement. It is more likely your imagination, your own politically correct personal beliefs and not their feelings that are hurt. If folks really and truly are complaining about these very minor kinds of things, they ain't so broken up, or would find something else to get all upset about.
Wow. I love the way you wrote this.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The most important thing is to not cross the road and say nothing. I heard about what happened and you must get fed up talking about it but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you too.

Yeah? And it's definitely best not to pretend "you know how they must be feeling" or start comparing their situation with some of your own. And you can say that you'll help in any way you can as long as you mean it and they know you mean it.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

When I was 12 years old my beloved grandfather died. I was absolutely devastated. I remember only two things very distinctly from that time: how I heard the news and something that was said to me at his viewing. I was standing next to my mother and people were filing by, giving their condolences. An older man leaned down and said to me, "You're going to miss grandpa, aren't you?" It was as if he'd driven a knife into my heart. It took all my pain and drove it straight into my soul. It seems like a perfectly decent, harmless thing to say and yet I've never forgotten the pain it caused me.

Ever since then, I've never understood the need people have to say anything other than, "I'm so sorry."

It's not that I can't "get over it," it's just something that was so painful that it seared itself into my memory. You never know what words you'll say that will hit the wrong nerve at the wrong time. People are deeply emotional and their feelings are very open at a time of death and dismissing their feelings hypersensitivity is a little heartless, it seems to me.

Susan
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Not to belittle this somber and personal topic, but somehow this brought to mind a classic clip from the old Carol Burnett show, entitled, simply,
The Funeral.

Sometimes, laughter really is the best medicine.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Back to the original question of worst things to say to someone who has just lost a loved one...... "Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Not to belittle this somber and personal topic, but somehow this brought to mind a classic clip from the old Carol Burnett show, entitled, simply,
The Funeral.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!