Clarkes Meg/Any Good????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony Fletcher UK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony Fletcher UK »

Hi,
Just wondering how many people out there has tried the new Clarkes Meg and what they think about it, how does it play, sound ect.
Thinking of getting one to start with.

Still not sure which to go for!!!!!

Thanks alot--
Tony Fletcher Sheffield England...
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I've heard various reports about the Meg. It is a version of the Sweetone that is mass-produced in the Far East. Reports of the Meg are as mixed as those of the Sweetone. My experience with the Sweetone is that it's an okay whistle, but nothing spectacular. Some have reported things like a one good Meg in five ratio, while others seem quite satisfied with the Meg. I'd recommend reading some reviews here on the Board. Particularly this thread: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 09&forum=1

The Meg is about the least expensive tinwhistle on the market. So you'd be risking less by trying a Meg than by trying another.
Reasonable person
Walden
serpent

Post by serpent »

I bought a dozen C Megs for a whistle class I taught for KC Renaissance Festival - and I've already heard the jokes about the blind leading the blind! :smile: It was Reeeeely Basic!

Anyhow, of 12 whistles, one wouldn't play at all, and one was out of tune with the others. Not bad for 3 bucks each, including shipping!

They sound okay - squeakier than a Clark trad, but not as bad as some Gens I've heard (and especially not as bad as one I own!) :eek:
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I can't say for certain about the Megs; but its older sister the Sweetone was my first whistle. I personally adore the Sweetone-- maybe I just got a really good one! It hasn't yet gone out of tune, has a wonderful slightly airy but pure tone, and on good days will easily play up to 3 octaves. :smile: As a teaching-myself beginner, it was easy to play and very forgiving.. I don't think I could get a shrill note out of it if I tried. So I'd recommend pretty much any Clarke, as all of them seem to have good reputations--at least its very unlikely you'll get a horrible one. Good luck!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
sboag

Post by sboag »

(newbie posting) I just received my 2 (silver) D megs and one (black) C meg from The Whistle Shop. One D is unplayable... maybe I need to figure out how to tweak it. So I guess they do indeed still have quality control problems (Maybe the WhistleShop should test 'em first, and charge an extra dollar?). The other D is wonderful... less edgy sound than my D sweetones, more 'clean'. (I personally like the edgy sound of the sweetone, but it gets a bit tiring after a while.) The C is pretty good also. As noted in other posts, the OXXOOO fingering sounds awful (to my ears and compared to my C Clarke)... have to use OXXXXO, or half-hole.

I also bought their 'tweeked' Clarke D originals (http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... weeked.htm). I like the fipple a lot better than the non-tweaked version, but it's still pretty breathy (which is fine for me...).

-scott
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Undoubtedly, the best thing about this whistle is the price. Next comes sound, nice and quiet, but nice and clear at the same time. The only drawback on this whistle is that it is HORRIBLY out of tune with itself, which I find horendous, mostly because of me and my [musical] ears, which happen to be quite extraordinary for not having perfect pitch.
nice tone though, not to mention the price.
-Ross
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Very inconsistent. Have tried 2 Ds and 1 C. The 3rd D in this batch was for Prometheus. Result:
1. the 2 Ds I had were ok but nothing great. One was smooth/clean in tone. The best of the lot. The other had this rough edge to the sound.
2. Prometheus said his D was horrible.
3. the C was more in tune than my Sweetone C overall and played well, EXCEPT the B (ie C# fingering on the D whistle) was a whole semitone flat. So I get Bb whether I play the C# or C natural fingering. Ugh.

I would say that you're probably better off getting a Sweetone than a Meg just for the reliability issues (unless you hate the hollow sound in general of the Sweetone/MEg type whistle). The former isn't that much dearer.
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

I like my sweetone a lot. Probably play it more than anything else.

Sure don't play no three octaves, though.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Sweetone!
I have several sweetones and every one is 'good'.
I bought six Megs, two were 'good' two really bad, and needed 'fixing'.
For the extra pennies get the sweetone.

Then in a couple of weeks, you'll want to try another whistle - no matter which type you get first.

Welcome to WHOA :smile:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Tantus
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tantus »

Fixing a MEG (or sweetone I would guess as well) is really easy. Take a medium size screwdriver (non-philips) and lay it down on the blade. Bend the blade down by pushing a little bit and then try it. Try it incrementlally so that you don't overbend.

Nick
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2002-11-13 16:28, Tantus wrote:
Fixing a MEG (or sweetone I would guess as well) is really easy. Take a medium size screwdriver (non-philips) and lay it down on the blade. Bend the blade down by pushing a little bit and then try it. Try it incrementlally so that you don't overbend.

Nick
Oh yes, I tried this when you first posted the tip - it really did improve the whistles, I must say!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm surprised to learn that Megs
are so inconsistent. The Sweetone
is about as consistent as
non-plastic inexpensive whistles
get. As the Sweetone is already
quite inexpensive, it sounds
like the Meg makes little sense--
maybe in the third world.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I've got both a Sweetone and Meg D, and a Meg C. The C is really bad. Maybe I'll try the screwdriver tweak. Both of the Ds, however, are very nice whistles. They are easy to play up to the second octave A & B, which require an extra push. They have a pleasant tone and they are both very forgiving of a learner's developing technique. I would recommend the Sweetone for any beginner. I played it all the time when I started learning the whistle but now, after 6 months of lessons, I prefer the sound of my Generation and Oak Ds.
Mike Burns
Hallatauer

Post by Hallatauer »

I have both a Sweetone and a Meg. The Sweetone is very nice with wonderful tone through most notes... high A and B are rough. The Meg... well... all I can say is, it was only 3 bucks wasted. It'll gather dust in a box somewhere for eternity.
Dan the Squeaker Extrodinaire