what is the best/strangest/coolest thing you've ever won

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

The Selective Service lottery in 1970.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

$100 on a lottery scratch ticket.
Charlene
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

When I was eleven I won an alarm clock at a fairground Wheel-of-Fortune in Millisle in Norn Iron. I was delighted, as it would help me get up in time for "big school".
At a Ceilidh a few years back I won the raffle and got an alarmingly large china doll, which I gave to my daughter.
I won a national newspaper competition (in the Guardian) for the best Science Fiction Film scenario, and got ten DVDs of Science Fiction films - Good ones, too. I was later told there seventy five entries, which struck me as appallingly small.
My Dad won two thousand pounds in a local newspaper lottery, because he was still checking his tickets long after everyone else had given up in boredom and disgust.
And last Powwow, I won the raffle (along with about a dozen other people) and picked up a choker - a Warrior's choker, a very nice one, which I will wear to the next Powwow.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I once won third place in my town's photo contest.
My prize: never getting the photo back...
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I won second place for "Hippie Day" my sophomore year in high school (late 1980's). The prize was a free hot lunch. Whoopee.

I've won various door prizes over the years, usually not much of anything exciting. Probably the biggest (monetary) prize was a free Lead Risk Assessor Training course - a week long course that costs $800. (This was for my job). So I saved the taxpayers $800 that year.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

peeplj wrote:The prize was a transistor radio, which was cool.
What is that? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

a transitor radio is a major step up from a crystal radio.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

For those of you too young to know, here's a transister radio:

Once upon a time they were considered a big deal because they were small enough to comfortably carry around everywhere with you.

This is a crystal radio:

I built one of these for a science project when I was a kid. Looked a bit like this one except messier.

It worked, too.

Look, Ma, no batteries! :D :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I won two milk shakes for having the longest feet at a dance in Fairmount, Indiana. My aunt had knitted me some bright red argyle socks and I happened to have them on. Very cool. In case you don't know, Jimmy Dean was born in Fairmount.

Apart from that I have won innumerable lotteries. I haven't collected any money from any of them but I must be owed a billion dollars at least-just from the Netherlands alone.

I also won a CD as a door prize which had some neat tunes. The only one I can remember now was Let's Get Drunk and Break Bottles in the Alley.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I won a teddy bear dressed in a kilt and cap.

I won a Civil War book and an old time silver dollar.

It was a very long time before I won anything, so for those who have never won, your luck may change as well.
falkbeer

Re: what is the best/strangest/coolest thing you've ever won

Post by falkbeer »

mutepointe wrote:the book giveaway thread was nice. so i started this thread. what things have you folks won?

the best thing i ever won was the guess the number of jelly beans in the jar contest. i know i won the jelly beans and the jar but i have no clue what the prize was. having my name in the bulletin as the winner (smartest person in the world) was my real prize.
A traditional russian saltceller in wood from Radio Moscow 1987. At that time I owned a Sony short wave radio, and I used to listen to everything: BBC world service, Voice of America and Radio Moscow. Great fun! I participated in a contest and won a prize. I was pretty sure that my name ended up in the KGB files as a friend to the Soviet Union... :)
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Years ago, I took part in a competition at the Talisker distillery on the Isle of Skye, west coast of Scotland, and sure enough, I won a bottle of their single malt whisky, incidently it even was sent to me on my birthday (which incidently I have again in 7days, so, feel free to send me presents).
:party:
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I won two thousand quid's-worth of Thomas Cook travel vouchers in a competition in a trade union magazine that I couldn't even remember entering. It got us to Oz to see our relatives! I won £93.75 last week in the local school's 100 Club draw. I won a huge plastic water butt from the Western Morning News. I've won some terrible bottles of wine at quiz nights as well as one or two glass paperweights. Our team won the annual Bude Lifeboat Day quiz in August and I now have a huge and ugly shiny cup proudly displayed on the landing. I once won one of those ashtrays that spins round when you press the top at a Polish ballroom dance (in Rochdale, not Poland).
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:a huge plastic water butt
The mind wanders to images it should never be introduced to ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Flippin' 'eck. You bleddy new-worlders and your butts! Why choose a word for arses that's already taken up for large water-containing receptacles when you have so many others to choose from! Derriere! Rear! Bum! Botty! Situpon! Ass!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!