What would you tell a class about Irish whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HDSarah
antispam: No

What would you tell a class about Irish whistles?

Post by HDSarah »

I'm taking a ''Music in World Cultures'' class right now, for fun. (I already have more college credits than any normal person would ever want. I'm weird that way. :D ) We're doing the chapter on European music this week, and my instructor invited me to bring in some whistles and talk about Irish whistles and/or Irish music. Tomorrow. :o

Any suggestions about what I should say? This will be short and informal, but it occurred to me that someone on C&F would probably have some good ideas that I might overlook.

By the way, I'm a mediocre whistle player (and will 'fess up to that, of course) so I can't dazzle them with a brilliant whistle tune -- maybe a simple jig or two, that I can play slowly enough to show some passable attempts at cuts, taps, and rolls. Maybe I'll actually get the whistle out and practice tonight. It's a very small class, so I might be able to dredge up enough whistles that I could pass them around and folks could try them out, without having to share. (We all know that WHISTLE PLAYERS' germs won't make other whistle players ill, but who knows what kind of germs NON-whistle players could have?? :boggle: ) The bonus is if they try to play, then I'll sound really good by comparison. :lol:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I would point out that, since whistles are very inexpensive and not hard to obtain, they often serve as the "gateway drug" into Irish traditional music.

I would probably also point out that the whistle is a member of the flute family, and is a fipple flute, along with its close cousin, the recorder.

Finally, I would probably mention one or more places online where whistles can be purchased, in case there are people in the class who would like to have one.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I would probably introduce them to songs that they may be familiar without but weren't aware that were traditional Irish tunes. If it whistle class and not an european music course, I may even play some whistle bits from very recognizable movie soundtracks.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

Steamwalker wrote:I would probably introduce them to songs that they may be familiar without but weren't aware that were traditional Irish tunes. If it whistle class and not an european music course, I may even play some whistle bits from very recognizable movie soundtracks.
depending on their age..

Lord of the rings and Braveheart as intro to the whistle.. then tell facts about the whistles and play a more traditional tune.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

ElPollo wrote:
Steamwalker wrote:I would probably introduce them to songs that they may be familiar without but weren't aware that were traditional Irish tunes. If it whistle class and not an european music course, I may even play some whistle bits from very recognizable movie soundtracks.
depending on their age..

Lord of the rings and Braveheart as intro to the whistle.. then tell facts about the whistles and play a more traditional tune.
Agreed. I just think there are a lot of people who probably don't realize that they've heard a whistle before until they recognize the sound from a familiar tune. They're definitely not trad but would serve as a neat little introduction. Recongizable tunes would include music from the Lord of the Rings, Titanic and Harry Potter.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Once they hold the thing and see its deceptive simplicity, I would put on a bit of the Mary Bergin Feadoga Stain CD. They will probably be amazed at the virtuosity possible on such an simple-seeming thing.
I myself am always amazed at this sort of thing. When I first got into Scottish piping, and held a practice chanter for the first time, I was astounded that all that fantastic music I had been listening to (complex reels, hornpipes, and piobaireachd) were produced by means of those eight holes!!! It was like wizardry or something.
Were I doing this demo, I would have them seperate "G" with both a cut and a pat and learn to do vibrato on it, the point being that expressive devices done with the embouchure on "legit" instruments are often done with the fingers on Irish wind instruments.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

pancelticpiper wrote:Once they hold the thing and see its deceptive simplicity, I would put on a bit of the Mary Bergin Feadoga Stain CD. They will probably be amazed at the virtuosity possible on such an simple-seeming thing.

Were I doing this demo, I would have them seperate "G" with both a cut and a pat and learn to do vibrato on it, the point being that expressive devices done with the embouchure on "legit" instruments are often done with the fingers on Irish wind instruments.
These are great ideas. I've been trying to think of something, but this seems perfect. It shows how simple and how wonderful the instrument is, all at the same time.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Be sure to point out how much FUN the danged thing is! Mention that if anyone in the class has ever toyed with learning to play a musical instrument, this is the simplest, cheapest legitimate musical instrument there is.
And of course, steer them to Chiff and Fipple :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Then RUN!!!!!!!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

Remember to finish with a 1 hour warning about WhOA :P
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

ElPollo wrote:Remember to finish with a 1 hour warning about WhOA :P
I have obviously exercised far too much self-control regarding WhOA. I went to gather up whistles to bring along, and I only managed to find 7. :oops: I'm so embarrassed. Now I wish I hadn't given away a few cheap whistles that I thought I'd never play again.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Tucson Whistler

So how did the class go? Did you help add a few more whistlers to the the world?
~Oscar Wilde
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I'm too late! THAT is what comes of being responsible and avoiding the Chiffboard for my grad studies.

How did it go?

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Tucson Whistler wrote:So how did the class go? Did you help add a few more whistlers to the the world?
It went well. They enjoyed trying to tootle away a little bit, even though it was utter cacaphony because the whistles I rounded up were in 4 different keys. :o I demonstrated cuts, taps, and rolls, at least well enough that they could understand the basics, and talked a little about how the ornamentation makes Irish music sound Irish. And yes, I did mention that whistles are considered ''gateway drugs'' to flute and pipes.

I DO think I've led someone down the whistle path! One of my classmates plays steel drum, and he said he thought he'd get a whistle. (In my disclaimer to the class, I told them that I dabble in whistle mostly so that I can get my music fix when I have to be away from my not-as-easily-transportable main instrument. He has the same problem -- you can't carry a steel drum up your sleeve. :D ) I recommended a Feadog which is actually the one of mine that he played.

And, talking about whistles made me want to play mine more, and that's good too. :)
Tucson Whistler

It sounds like you had fun, so congrats.
~Oscar Wilde