Trying Other People's Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Would you hand over your set to a stranger?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 35

Wannabe-Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Trying Other People's Pipes

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Hey y'all.

All these threads about various Tionóils have mentioned pipers trying out other pipers sets. Are you easygoing when it comes to handing your precious set to another musician, or do you consider it too risky handing over such a valuable instrument to(in most cases) a stranger?

And does it work the other way round too? Do you hesitate before asking someone for a go on their pipes?

W>P :):)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I'd generally share with any "reasonable" human being. However, if I thought someone had too much to drink, I'd probably refuse.

On the other hand, I'd be shy about asking to play someone else's pipes. Don't know why.
PJ
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

If it were a left-handed reasonable human being, then yes. Otherwise, it would probably be more trouble than it was worth...

I do recall once being at a session in Scotland where I put my smallpipes down on a table behind me and some guy (not one of the musicians) walked over, removed the chanter, and began blowing on it.

I was SO not happy. Possibly the only time abroad when I became the dreaded "angry American"...
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I think as a (relative) newcomer on the pipes, having another piper give my set a whirl could be very beneficial. I don't know a lot about adjusting the reed, or other tweaks that could make the pipes sound a little better. Having someone who knows a thing or two (and since pipers are scarse in my neck of the woods, they would almost certainly be a strange) play my set could be very beneficial as a way to gain some know-how.

In general, I have no problem with someone else handling my set, as long as they are either a piper, or someone who knows enough about instruments to be respectful and careful.

When handling someone else's set, or any instrument, I think its common courtesy to ask first. Granted, there are lots of people who will just grab and not ask. I've found most people will let you take a look at their instrument if you ask politely first.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

PJ wrote:I'd generally share with any "reasonable" human being. However, if I thought someone had too much to drink, I'd probably refuse.

On the other hand, I'd be shy about asking to play someone else's pipes. Don't know why.
amen.
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

I'd second all the comments above. Anyone who is a piper can have a shot of any of my sets of pipes.
mukade

Post by mukade »

As long as they don't want to suck on me reeds then it's fine.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

I'm glad that most people are open to letting other pipers, or potential pipers, have a whirl on their sets. This kind of sharing is pretty much essential due to the simple fact that you just can't walk into a music store and try out a variety of pipes.

On any given day I can bike to between 5 or 6 music shops and try out dozens of varieties of guitars. Not so with pipes for sure! Even if you are as lucky as we around here and have a great pipe maker (Joe Kennedy) a short drive away, you are really only going to be able to try one makers offerings (assuming he has anything he's working on still lying around).

It's a good tradition. Keep it up!
Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Bump
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Sometimes. If I do, it is either to someone I know, or someone whom I know knows what there is to know. Seussian enough for ya?

Being passed around is somewhat part of my set's pedigree :) so I generally am open hearted/minded about the matter.

t
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

tommykleen wrote:Sometimes. If I do, it is either to someone I know, or someone whom I know knows what there is to know. Seussian enough for ya?

Being passed around is somewhat part of my set's pedigree :) so I generally am open hearted/minded about the matter.

t
Yeah, what Tom said! It should be noted that TK kindly lent his pipes to Seán McKiernan for use in the SoCal Tionól Concert, which was very generous and much appreciated!

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

No E wrote:
tommykleen wrote:Sometimes. If I do, it is either to someone I know, or someone whom I know knows what there is to know. Seussian enough for ya?

t
Yeah, what Tom said! It should be noted that TK kindly lent his pipes to Seán McKiernan for use in the SoCal Tionól Concert, which was very generous and much appreciated!

No E
Now, now. Don't make a scene. I mean scen.

t
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I've heard that one has to be careful with lending out a NB flat set. A piper who typically plays wide bore D sets will sometimes overpower a flat set and possibly damage a reed. Has anyone else heard this?
billh

Post by billh »

wolvy wrote:I've heard that one has to be careful with lending out a NB flat set. A piper who typically plays wide bore D sets will sometimes overpower a flat set and possibly damage a reed. Has anyone else heard this?
It can definitely happen, though usually such a reed will bounce back from being "stunned" in this way, given a few minutes/hours. I wouldn't be overly worried unless I needed to play the set immediately afterwards, provided the player exercised a sensible degree of restraint.

Bill
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I am reminded of the story of Seamus Ennis who played a set of tunes on his rare (Egan?) set of pipes, before taking the pipes off, and passing them around the assembly of pipers in the room. Everyone had a go on his set before they were returned to him and he recommenced his performance. Such a generous spirit.

In all honesty, I have had a bad experience of someone wanting 'a go' on an old half set I had. They tortured the reeds and it was more than I could bear to hear. Now, I have to be honest and say that I am totally happy for a good piper to try my pipes, but it would take me to get to know the character of a newer piper before I would hand over my Froment set. I would have to be happy to know that they would listen to what I had to say about how to interact with my particular set well. If they listened to me and were cool, then yes, they could have a go.