Time Rollback in U.S.A and Canada

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Steamwalker wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Steamwalker wrote: I hope your employer doesn't have a problem with your non-observance. ;)
None of them do.
That's a pretty nice employer that doesn't mind you arriving an hour early or late each day. I wonder how my boss would react if I told him that I no longer observe deadlines or showers.
Oh, they'd each fire me if I was late or early each day. I observe it at work, just not at home. :)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Jesus lived his entire life on standard time, and if it was good enough for him, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

That's why I always ask myself "WWJSHCA?" (What would Jesus set his clock at), and I live my life accordingly.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

gonzo914 wrote:Jesus lived his entire life on standard time, and if it was good enough for him, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

That's why I always ask myself "WWJSHCA?" (What would Jesus set his clock at), and I live my life accordingly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Yes, I think that just about takes care of it. :lol:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Gonzo, you the man! 8)

M
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that daylight savings time makes a lot of sense, else the politicians in our state wouldn't have voted for it. Right? My wife starts her commute to work at 7:30 am. Last week she was driving in the dark. With the time change this week she is driving in daylight. Rush-hour traffic on the freeway still isn't safe, but it has to be safer in the daylight.

My proposal to settle this time-change dilemma once and for all is to advance the clocks 30 minutes from standard time and to leave it there with no future changes. In our state that would be right in the middle between Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Daylight Savings Time. You can think of it as a compromise. For the rest of the world, well, they would need to understand the logic and do the same thing themselves.
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Yeah, my clock reset itself last week also. The dogs woke me up early (or so I thought) so I let them out to take care of business, took a shower and made some tea thinking I still had an hour and a half before I had to be at church for preservice handbell rehearsal. Then I looked at my watch and it wasn't so. Yikes. Thank heavens for the dog alarm....
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I think that daylight savings time makes a lot of sense, else the politicians in our state wouldn't have voted for it. Right? My wife starts her commute to work at 7:30 am. Last week she was driving in the dark. With the time change this week she is driving in daylight. Rush-hour traffic on the freeway still isn't safe, but it has to be safer in the daylight.

My proposal to settle this time-change dilemma once and for all is to advance the clocks 30 minutes from standard time and to leave it there with no future changes. In our state that would be right in the middle between Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Daylight Savings Time. You can think of it as a compromise. For the rest of the world, well, they would need to understand the logic and do the same thing themselves.
I am missing your point. It is light in the morning now because we are now on standard time. The extension of DLST left the morning commute in the dark for a longer period of time.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think Doug was pulling your leg.

:wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Time Rollback in U.S.A and Canada

Post by CHasR »

Walden wrote:Daylight Time ends in a few hours in those regions unfortunate enough to observe it in North America.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/daylight_time.php
all I can say is;

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK HEAVEN WE"RE BACK ON REAL TIME!!!!

For the last month Ive been walking around like a zombie.
The clocks should've gone back 2 weeks ago!
Ive had more energy in the last 3 days than I have had all summer!

Unfortunately, they go forward ALL TOO SOON!!!
(and for reasons best kept in the political forum.....)
HDSarah

Re: Time Rollback in U.S.A and Canada

Post by HDSarah »

CHasR wrote: all I can say is;

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK HEAVEN WE"RE BACK ON REAL TIME!!!!
Here in Alaska, we're never on ''real'' time. A few years ago (maybe 20? :boggle: I think I'm getting old!), our state capitol, Juneau, used Pacific time (like Washington and Oregon, etc.), while the center of the state was 2 hours earlier. Juneau like being on Seattle time, but the majority of the population thought it was annoying to have a 2-hour time difference to our state capitol. A compromise was reached, and we met in the middle. Now most of Alaska is on the same time, although the Aleutians still get their own time zone. The result is that even when we're on Standard time, our (in the middle of the state) solar noon is 1 pm. Then in the summer we switch to Daylight Savings time, and it's really double daylight savings time: solar noon is 2 pm.

I think it's all pretty silly to apply ''Daylight Savings'' in the far north. Either we have so much daylight that it's silly to ''save'' it, or there is so little that you can't make it stretch. In midsummer, the sun dips below the horizon at about 1 am and then comes back up at about 3 am, but it never goes far enough below the horizon to get darker than a bright twilight. In the winter, the sun peeks up over the horizon, travels along a little while, staying so low that you can't tell when sunrise merges into sunset, and then sets. Unless you're working a perfectly timed 3-hour workday, you're going to be driving to work and home in the dark.

I admit that I like the extra hour in the fall. For a few days, until I adjust, it's easier to get to sleep at night and easier to get up in the morning. (My dog, on the other hand, is traumatized that his dinner arrives LATE according to his tummy-clock, which runs fast anyway.) It isn't worth giving up that hour in the spring, though: the pain of losing an hour isn't balanced by the pleasure of gaining one. I wish we'd stick with one time. I don't really care what it is, as long as our few precious hours of winter daylight occur during the time I'm awake.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam