Will be buying my first Low D whistle, but which one?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

You can always make your own whistle.
Grexrell

Post by Grexrell »

Wow so many posts...

Thanks guys for replying so fast and so much :D
Now I'm looking at some more options.
But I had a few more questions for you before I decide:
  • First of all, many of you recommend Overton, any particular model?
    Where would be the best place for me to order it from, and how long do you think the wait time on one might be?

Also what do you think of the Chieftain whistles?
    They have a nice look and sound

I also found burke whistles too, but am unsure of their quality and playability.
Also thinking about the szbe type 1 as per suggestion.
Buying whistles was easier when I was just playing high whistles...

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

P.S.
fancypiper wrote:You can always make your own whistle.
Thanks for the link, I'm considering that too.
Learning to...
Play the Irish whistle, Harmonica, Recorder, Fife, Panpipes, Clarinet, Hand ocarina, and Piano Accordion, all within the last year :D
(Music is more fun then ever before)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The Burke whistles are outstanding. I own 3 of his low whistles, low D, A and G and a suprano D, and I want more!
Last edited by fancypiper on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Grexrell wrote:Wow so many posts...

Thanks guys for replying so fast and so much :D
Now I'm looking at some more options.
But I had a few more questions for you before I decide:
    Where would be the best place for me to order it from, and how long do you think the wait time on one might be?

I also found burke whistles too, but am unsure of their quality and playability.
I would order an Overton directly from Colin Goldie, www.overton.de , and I would make a point of speaking with him on the phone. My recommendation is a medium or easy blow low D, tunable if you can afford it, but non-tunable is fine.

You will get mixed views on Chieftains. I tried some, but don't own any. I used to recommend the plastic-head Kerry low Ds as starter low Ds, but would now recommend the new Howard instead (if an Overton is out of reach).

I can't really comment on Burkes, they've never done it for me, but I believe their quality is consistent and I hear about many people who swear by them. They also strike me as pricey compared to other whistles.

YMMV, of course.

[fixed typo]
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Bloomfield wrote:I used to recommend the plastic-head Kerry low Ds as starter low Ds, but would not recommend the new Howard instead (if an Overton is out of reach).
Bloomfelt, you mean you NOW recommend the Howard, right?

(Now to be picky or anything ;))

Jef
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Jeferson wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I used to recommend the plastic-head Kerry low Ds as starter low Ds, but would not recommend the new Howard instead (if an Overton is out of reach).
Bloomfelt, you mean you NOW recommend the Howard, right?

(Now to be picky or anything ;))

Jef
oops, yes, of course. Thanks!
/Bloomfield
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Grexrell wrote:

As said, Overton.de (it´s in German at first, but there´s something as "uk" site after a while). I think that the whistle ordered directly from Colin will be able to be more specific for you than rather "universal" Overtons for stores. Waiting time...no idea - you sure can write him an e-mail or call him though.

I think they´re good whistles indeed (tried their low whistle just few days ago). On the other hand, I´d gladly pay not that much more (maybe $40 or so to have an Overton - after all, Overtons are hand-made and Chieftains are "serial" whistles. In my opinion, Overtons are more characterful, but Chieftains are still damn good whistles (sadly, I´ve heard of some lemons).

Burkes are generally fine whistles. I don´t think they´re great, as they tend to lack backpressure, but they sound nice and clear...well, fine :-)
Last edited by Pyroh on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

I had the chance to try one of the O'Brien low D whistles when Dave sent one out on tour. It was very nice, I thought. Comfortable and easy to play with a good tone, good intonation. (I think I may have posted a brief review somewhere in the depths of the C&F archives.) Certainly an excellent value.

I wasn't sure then that the low D was something I wanted to pursue, but through the strange vicissitudes of instrument trading, I ended up as the happy owner of a Reyburn low D, in just intonation with offset holes. You can find photos and info at Doc's irishflutestore.com or at Ronaldo Reyburn's website. It's a lovely instrument, almost too much fun to play. Without having a wide experience of low whistles, I won't attempt a comparative analysis. I'm sure there are more extensive reviews on the forum. If you are considering spending a bit more, I think the Reyburn should be on your list.

Cordially,
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
Grexrell

Post by Grexrell »

Thanks everyone for your posts!
They really helped.

Looks like I'll have a whistle by christmas.
Although not 100% sure what it will look like, I think I can figure it out soon now.

Thanks again!
Learning to...
Play the Irish whistle, Harmonica, Recorder, Fife, Panpipes, Clarinet, Hand ocarina, and Piano Accordion, all within the last year :D
(Music is more fun then ever before)
arnie

Post by arnie »

Grexrell wrote:Wow so many posts...

For Overton see the website www.overton.de. Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie make Overtons. You can call Colin. He's a very friendly guy who can adjust a whistle for you. He can play them for you through the phone. He makes them all by hand. I LOVE the sound of Overton (listen to Flook eg., Brian Finnigan plays Overton). To me they are the BEST!
Chieftains however are not hand-made. Not specifically worse or better, however I once had a bad one. Only the idea of having a whistle that's hand-made appeals to me more than a fabric-made. I've seen Colin Goldie work on my low D Overton in his little shed and I tell you, it's a craft, an art.
Burkes are known to be whistles that you'll never regret buying. I only hear people being enthousiastic about them. There are samples on clips and snips and on the burke website.
koktach

Post by koktach »

I just as well may abuse this thread for my question.

I am also buying my first low D (although I made a couple myself using guidos guide, but still, this isn't it, fine for practice but not much else). So my question would be, does anybody have samples of Alba low D whistle, or alba low D vibe? What does it sound like, compared to, say Cheiftain V3 or Cheiftain NR (samples easy to find) or Dixon (ow a sample of dixon alominum would be nice).

I am seriously looking into alba, but since there aren't any shops that would sell low ds close to me I well be ordering wia interent, and I want to at least have an aproximate idea how the whistle sounds like.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

I believe there is a review of an Alba low d hiding somewhere on youtube.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Silly, but nobody mentioned the Copeland? I'm stunned...
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Strange also that (almost) nobody mentionned the MK or the Chieftain V3 whistles?
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

scheky wrote:Silly, but nobody mentioned the Copeland? I'm stunned...
Strange also that (almost) nobody mentionned the MK or the Chieftain V3 whistles?
If you check the first post on this thread, you will see that the original poster gave a price range/limit on his question, which would be why these whistles were not mentioned. (This also makes me wonder why Overtons were repeatedly mentioned in this thread as they are also out of the posters price range, but I am Sooo not going there! :D )
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com