Time Rollback in U.S.A and Canada

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

One of my dad's pecularities, when he was alive, is he would never change his own watch for DST.

As irritating as this was--when you asked him what time it was, he'd tell you, then you'd have to remember if you needed to change it an hour or not--it was something I always respected about him: the government could change everyone else's time, but not his.

"The position of the sun determines the time," he'd say. "Not politicians."

He had a point, in a way.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden, I love that origami! Can you post a bigger picture?
Anstapa

Post by Anstapa »

Good morning! I managed to get every type of time piece in sync with the new old time but how do you reset a cat. Her time is first light when she starts screaming her lungs out and bouncing, running all over this place. Has anybody taught a cat to read time?

Anstapa
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film
djm

Post by djm »

(Know)
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(Care)
Does anybody really care?
(About time)
If so I can't imagine why.
(Oh, no-o-o-o)
We've all got time enough to die.

<A HREF="http://youtube.com/watch?v=tBuUUBrC9eQ">[i]- Chicago Transit Authority[/i]</A>

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

it's 25 or 6 to 4.

funny story. i hate changing the clocks. for years, my wife and i just kept 2 sets of clocks in our house and we knew which one was which, our family and friends were annoyed but that was an added perk.

anyway, when we got a computer, i told my wife that if she would change all the other clocks in the house, i would figure out how to change the clock on the computer. all i have to do is wake up first on time change days and fuss and fume a couple of times about how convulated the clock change thing is.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cynth wrote:You are lucky. I have a clock that automatically resets itself, but it was built to reset at the old Daylight Savings Time time. So it changed two weeks ago. Then some clocks drive me mad when I try to figure out how to change them so I give up and try to remember if they are ahead or behind. If I fix them, then I forget that I've fixed them and still add or subtract an hour. It's a real mess.
I have a clock that resets itself as well, but it's designed to consult the atomic clock in Fr. Collins periodically, so it doesn't reset itself until the atomic clock does (the other advantage is that it's always "on-time"...never fast or slow...and it resets itself perfectly after a power outage).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm

Post by djm »

I used to have one of those radio-controlled clocks that references an atomic clock like the one in Ft. Collins, but I had to get rid of it. It turns out these damned cesium atomic clocks go out by a full second once every million years, and wasn't it the one second when I bought mine? So I had to get rid of it. What a piece of junk, and a waste of $2 to boot. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I've set every clock except the ones in the cars and the computer at my husband's store. He has Windows 98 and never downloaded the patch, so it changed at the old time, and I reset it and he was upset because now someone will have to manually reset it again. I even remembered the answering machine and the clock on the stereo, which are ones that I usually forget.

I'm a bit paranoid about those atomic clocks - how do I know Big Brother isn't listening in on those? :o (Where's my tinfoil hat?)
Charlene
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Don't be too paranoid...I have an "atomic" watch and it only finds the sync signal about one day in seven...so I may have to wait a while before the watch is right again.

If Big Brother is listening over my watch, chances are he ain't hearing much. :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:Walden, I love that origami! Can you post a bigger picture?
Reasonable person
Walden
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Cranberry wrote:
Steamwalker wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I don't observe it in my apartment. All my clocks have the old time.

I always thought that clock stores must hate the day.
I hope your employer doesn't have a problem with your non-observance. ;)
None of them do.
That's a pretty nice employer that doesn't mind you arriving an hour early or late each day. I wonder how my boss would react if I told him that I no longer observe deadlines or showers.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Redwolf wrote: I have a clock that resets itself as well, but it's designed to consult the atomic clock in Fr. Collins periodically
Redwolf
Fr. Collins has an atomic clock inside him?

In Indiana there used to be debates about daylight savings time. Opinions ran very strong. There would be letters to the newspaper saying "If the Lord had wanted us on daylight savings time..blah, blah." I believe Indiana no longer changes times but I'm not sure what time they have adopted.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Redwolf wrote:This is too funny not to share, even if you don't know the original hymn:

http://www.gbod.org/worship/music/timechangesong.pdf

Too true!

For those who have some familiarity with Anglican church music, the tune (Cwm Rhondda) is the one to which "Guide me, O, thou great Jehovah/Redeemer" is sung.

Redwolf
That's brilliant. I'd love to be in a choir that launched into this on the appropriate sunday, if only to see the congregation blink.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I just noticed that this forum does not automatically change the time - you have to go into your profile and change it. Not that the exact time of a post really matters.
Charlene
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:
Redwolf wrote:This is too funny not to share, even if you don't know the original hymn:

http://www.gbod.org/worship/music/timechangesong.pdf

Too true!

For those who have some familiarity with Anglican church music, the tune (Cwm Rhondda) is the one to which "Guide me, O, thou great Jehovah/Redeemer" is sung.

Redwolf
That's brilliant. I'd love to be in a choir that launched into this on the appropriate sunday, if only to see the congregation blink.
I think we'll have to consider it at next time change. We learned about it too late to do anything about it this time (especially as this is All Saints Sunday, so we already had a full roster of "must-do" music)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!