when to use low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ofloyd

when to use low D

Post by ofloyd »

From the recording I have heard thus far, it seems that the higher keyed whistles are used for soloing. When do you find it best to use your low D's? Are they used more for slower songs? Perhaps ballads? Maybe background music? Thanks.
johnnyboi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnnyboi »

In my limited experience, I would say the opposite :p
Though yes, the low whistles do suit themselves to slow tunes more than high whistles i think
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I use my low D when the other whistler guy is using his high D...that way we're less likely to run into the warbles when one of us is just a little off ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Wanderer's point is a good one. They are great for song accompaniment, to be sure - though you'll probably need other keys too to allow for singer's tessituras and where guitarists fit capos etc. Also for slow paced reels (Try Dunmore Lasses slow on low whistle, for example) and I particularly like doing some of the big piping jigs on my low D - e.g. Humours of Ballyloughlin, An Phis Phliuch, The Monaghan.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Daleth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Daleth »

I love my low whistle for slow airs and waltzes. Mostly for slow airs if I want to show one off at a session, and yes, often also for accompanying songs (although it depends on the song). I don't normally use it in the local session since there's a usually a flautist there, and I can't be heard over a flute like I can with a high D whistle. If there's no flautist, though, and another whistler, I'll usually pick up my low D so our two whistles aren't clashing.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I use my low D as my standard session instrument. I might play my high D on one or two tunes, but it often just stays in the case.
So, low D for everything possible on a D instrument, for those pesky odd tunes I use a low E, a mezzo G, a mezzo A, and a high C.