What is your least favorite word?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Think of it as the language evolving...
Thinking of words changing meaning, I do not like the way Martini has come to mean anything served in a cocktail glass (now often referred to as a Martini glass).
I agree wholeheartedly. There is no place in a martini for apples, cinnamon, Drambuie, butterscotch, schnapps or any of a host of candy-assed adulterants, . . . That's why I order Gibsons on those occasions when I eschew the nectar of Scotland for a less primal potation.
Yes, there seems to be a pervasive interest in travesty by adulteration. I am forced to wonder when it will end. Probably not until all civilized life is extinguished in a toxic drizzle of ersatz flavorings.

The last time I ordered a Shirley Temple, it had been made with 7-UP. And there was not so much as a hint of orange juice in it! These people acted as though they had never heard of Vernor's!

And there was no little umbrella. :evil:

You'd think people would just know better.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

the sons of beaches. the umbrella is the whole point of a shirley temple.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

gonzo914 wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Think of it as the language evolving...
Thinking of words changing meaning, I do not like the way Martini has come to mean anything served in a cocktail glass (now often referred to as a Martini glass).
I agree wholeheartedly. There is no place in a martini for apples, cinnamon, Drambuie, butterscotch, schnapps or any of a host of candy-assed adulterants, the primary function of which is to make the drink not taste like a martini so the feeble-minded and weak of spirit can pretend they are grown-ups. I don't even like the idea of a vodka martini because it is starting to be assumed as the default in those chi-chi establishment that cater to afficionados of fruity drinks.

That's why I order Gibsons on those occasions when I eschew the nectar of Scotland for a less primal potation.
I like Manhattans. :party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

What really cheeses me is when they leave out the dimple.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Here is something else. Although it doesn't really upset me, I always found the use for abbreviations for the words "thanks" and "please" to be questionable. Have we as a society gotten to the point that we'd rather not put forth the time and effort to actually type out please and thank you? It's all too common to see things like: thx, plz, ty, tyvm. To me, it just doesn't seem sincere if you thank someone with a "thx" and ask for something with a "plz". If there are words that you probably wouldn't want to abbreviate, it would be those words.
djm

Post by djm »

Steamwalker wrote:Have we as a society gotten to the point that we'd rather not put forth the time and effort to actually type out please and thank you? It's all too common to see things like: thx, plz, ty, tyvm. To me, it just doesn't seem sincere if you thank someone with a "thx" and ask for something with a "plz".
Yes.Yes.No.

Thx 4 yr npt.

djm
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Technically, the topic is to state your least favourite WORD, not phrase.

However, since I don't really have a specific hated word - it depends on how or the context in which the word is being used - I'll state my 2 least favourite phrases:

1. my bad
2. "you wanna come with?" - come with what?! Argh.

Lots of misspelled words and wrong use of apostrophes also irk me, but that's another topic altogether.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have come to hate "literally", because people no longer use it
correctly. e.g., "I literally screamed my head off." I have a friend
who uses "literally" for things that can't even be taken figuratively.

I also hate the word "Homophobia", which should mean "fear of
things that are the same".... "Aaaaaa -- twins!" I once came upon
the original word for "fear of homosexuals", but I can't find it now
that "Homophobia" has taken over.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

tuaz wrote:1. my bad
My dad swears he came up with the phrase "my bad." I mean, he really believes it. He's pretty much a lunatic, though.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Congratulations wrote: He's pretty much a lunatic, though.
'Lunatic' is a good word. 'Retard' and 'cretin' are bad words. Makes me so mental I wanna go postal.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm

Post by djm »

Genetic?

djm
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

emmline wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I hate when people say "That's so gay" or "That's gay" as though "gay" is an insult equivalent to "stupid."
I agree. I spent a couple years of carpool trying to correct one kid's habit of using that very phrase that way. I don't think it worked. The kid was kind of a psycho.

As for "whatever..." Oh yes, it can be overused, and dismissively at that. I confess to occasionally employing it with a more self-deprecatory slant.

Fifteen years ago I disliked the word "myriad," because it had suddenly popped up in the editor's letter of every magazine I picked up. It's trendiness has subsided. "Paradigm" went through a phase like that too.

A veterinarian I used to work with used "basically" that way...as an annoying filler.

I'm going to try to bring the oath "bedad" back into common usage.
One of my youngest daughter's male gay friends insults people, things and concepts by declaring them "an international sign of gayness", As in "That smoking ban in the halls of residence is an international sign of gayness", "Huh, your face is an international sign of gayness", and even "Your mother is an international sign of gayness".

I don't think he means any harm, and I confess to chucking when I heard the mother one.

In general, though, I think calling something "gay" is often done with more serious insulting intent, and it does grate.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

I have to go with calling something "gay" or "retarded" as well as the whole "your mother is..." A typical converstation at school:
"You're gay."
"Yeah well, you're retarded"
"Your mom's retarded."

It drives me nuts. Have people lost all common decency and respect for diversity? Besides, aren't there more interesting comebacks out there besides "your mom..." I've seen plenty of people get told that and then shut up the wisecracker with a comment like "my mom died." That certainly brings out the good side of some. And others...they just laugh. Sometimes I hate humanity.

I swear, today I heard a sophomore in highschool say "libarien." "Axe" intead of "ask" also bothers me. Grr! Rant over :wink: .
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Some of mine are repeats, but they sure grate on my nerves! There's one person in particular I know where every "conversation" we have goes something like this:

Me: Hey! You're running a little late. Is everything okay?
Her: I'm like late for work when this SSSTUpid guy got in front of me and did 55! Isn't that HORRRRible?!
Me: Isn't the speed limit 45 on Main?
Her: (tongue click) Like, hellooo?! I'm like, I'm late here! You know? I mean, you know my mother.
Me: Uhm, no I don't. I haven't met her...
Her: (tongue click) She was supposed to wake me up at 9:15, but she came in there and woke me up at 9 o'clock. It was HORRRible , so I went back to sleep. I mean can you belieeeeve that? (tongue click) I was working until 10 o'clock last night and I had to talk to Cissy until like 2 because her boyfriend was SSSTUpid and got too drunk to drive her home and she didn't know he was going to drink so she enjoyed a couple drinks too because there is nothing wrong with her wanting to have a drink every once in while because she works hard and deserves it and shouldn't have to drive herself home, so I had to talk to her the entire time she drove home so she wouldn't get in an accident, you know?
Me: Why didn't you go pick her up and take her home?
Her: Wasn't that HORRRRible of him? Then my mother comes in there and wakes me up at 9 o'clock. (tongue click) You know me. I have to have enough rest other wise I turn into a total b*%^#, you know? I mean, you know me. If I get up early I LITerally get sick. So she woke me up early. I was like, helloooo?! It was HORRRRible.
Me: Oh. Did you get sick?
Her: I almost did. My mom was making some oatmeal in the microwave. You know me. You know I can't stand strong smells like that, especially after she woke me up early. (tongue click) You know my mom.
Me: Uh, no I...
Her: She tried to be nice and offer me some oatmeal, but the smell of it was HORRRRible, you know? Isn't that SSSTUpid?! N-E-Waaaays (tongue click). I told her it was her fault that I was late because she shouldn't have woke me up so early, so she had to make me some bacon and egg biscuits and some coffee to settle my stomach. It was AWWful! The coffee LITerally made me sick. It was HORRRRible, you know? I mean, can you belieeeeeve that? She knew I was already hurting because she woke me up so early, and then she went and made stinky oatmeal, and then she made me bland coffee?! It was HORRRRible. I LITerally was going to throw up, you know?
Me: Uhm. So I'm glad you are OK now. Are you ready to get to work?
Her: Oh my gosh. You have to hide me.
Me: Huh?
Her: (in a whiny, baby voice) You have to protect me from Rob.
Me: Who?
Her: Rob. He's that creepy guy in the window. Every time I come he's looking out the window at me.
Me: I think he's watching for the bus.
Her: You have to protect me. I mean, he has KIDS! (tongue click) Isn't that HORRRRible?!
Me: You know I have... Uhhhhhh. So you're going to be here until 4, right?
Her: Oh, I'm going to go to the doctor's office at 12.
Me: Oh, I didn't realize you have another appointment today.
Her: I don't. I'm going to tell them they have to see me. I mean, that pain in my stomach can't be right, you know? They have to do something about that!
Me: Maybe if you didn't stay out drinking, got some sleep, and ate better your stomach wouldn't hurt?
Her: Oh, no. I'm sure it isn't that. Oh my gosh. You have to protect me from Chris. Isn't the way he looks at me HORRRRible?!

And on and on it goes...
I despise HORRRRible, SSSTUpid, AWWWful, you know me, I was like, LITerally, you have to, you know? Can you belieeeeve that? (tongue click)
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

evenstr wrote:I swear, today I heard a sophomore in highschool say "libarien." "Axe" intead of "ask" also bothers me. Grr! Rant over :wink: .
ha. i got you beat. i heard the librarian say "axe."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦