Online photo sharing suggestions requested

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Online photo sharing suggestions requested

Post by susnfx »

For the past couple of years I've been using Sony ImageStation which has been absolutely wonderful. Things that have made it ideal: easy to upload photos, easy to edit photos and albums, people don't have to register to see my albums, no ads. However, ImageStation is being done away with. They suggested their users join Snapfish, so I did. It works fine except that people have to register to see the stuff I send. I DON'T want this.

So I tried Shutterfly. It seems to be what I'm looking for except for one minor problem--I can't get photos to upload. I've tried for two days, working with their customer support, and the site simply freezes when I hit "next" when trying to upload a photo. So they're out.

I tried box.net which appears to be mostly for files, not photos. As far as I could see, I can't work with the photos after they're uploaded. After fooling around with it a bit, I think this just isn't what I'm looking for.

I tried Photobucket this morning. Blech. Ads, ads, ads. I uploaded one photo and could never find it again. This looks like PhotoSharing for Teenagers or something. Not for me.

I've got several options for sharing individual photos with email, but I particularly like albums for which a URL can be sent by email and someone can view the album with just one click.

Any suggestions?

Susan
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Try Imageshack. If you don't like that you might want to take a look at Flickr.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Thanks, Jordan. ImageShack appears to just be a search vehicle for photo sharing sites... and Flickr is nice but, again, from their "tour" it appears people have to join to see your photos (or rather some sort of "invite/accept" entanglement is necessary).

I'll keep looking...

wait - I had the wrong ImageShack...I'll check this out further. Later: nope...I don't think you can arrange photos into albums. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going by what they say in their all-about-ImageShack questions/answers.

Susan
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

I personally use photobucket. There, you have the option to set your albums either public or private.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I use both Photobucket and ImageShack. For free photo hosting you can expect to have a few ads, IMHO.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

susnfx wrote:Thanks, Jordan. ImageShack appears to just be a search vehicle for photo sharing sites... and Flickr is nice but, again, from their "tour" it appears people have to join to see your photos (or rather some sort of "invite/accept" entanglement is necessary).

I'll keep looking...

wait - I had the wrong ImageShack...I'll check this out further. Later: nope...I don't think you can arrange photos into albums. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going by what they say in their all-about-ImageShack questions/answers.

Susan
This is the ImageShack I was talking about. http://imageshack.us/

You could take a look at these too:

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp
http://www.myphotoalbum.com/
http://www.pixagogo.com/

Just Google "online photo album" for other ones.
Last edited by JordanII on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I use firefox so ads are never an issue.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Grrr... I tried MyPhotoAlbum, which looked promising, but had the same problem as with Shutterfly--it freezes up. Then I tried KodakGallery and when I tried to install the image uploader, it gave me an error message and said to contact customer service. I'm ready to give up. I'm getting the very strong feeling that there's something wrong at MY end, although I can't figure out what. One suggestion was to temporarily shut off the Norton Antivirus stuff, so I did that and it didn't make any difference.

I'll keep trying! Thanks for the suggestions.

Susan

Later...after working more with the KodakGallery, it appears to be the closest to what I want (no ads, no sign-in for people to view my albums, etc.). It's not ideal, but pretty good. Thanks, Jordan, for reminding me about it.
Last edited by susnfx on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

With that freezing up problem...have you tried a different browser? For example, if you normally use IE, you can try doing the same thing on Firefox.
I've got (on a Mac) Safari, Firefox, and IE. The pictures on some webpages crash Firefox but work on Safari. The content on some sites won't work properly on Safari (pulldown menus on the site or whatnot,) but function on Firefox. Sometimes I use IE if all else fails.
djm

Post by djm »

It could be that you have some sort of privacy or firewall software running on your system that is blocking file transfers (ftp). You may have to disable this in order to upload your files, or there might be some option to set "trusted" sites that the software will then allow you to send your pics to.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I use Webshots - you can take a look at what I have at: http://community.webshots.com/user/charliedawn and see if it looks like it will work for you. It's fairly easy to use.
Charlene
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I use Flickr and as far as I know people don't have to join in order to view your photos.

As a demo, click on this link and it should show you one of my subfolders. Free-level users are allowed to have three subfolders. Paying users can have as many as they want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avamil/set ... 424182256/
MagicSailor

Re: Online photo sharing suggestions requested

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi Sue

I use Panoramio for my travel photos.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/95799

Panoramio is mainly for geographically inclined photos. You upload the photo and then mark the position it was taken on a map or satellite image. Or better and easier, use Google Earth and Panadoflyer to geotag the photo before you upload it. When someone views your photo a satellite image is shown next to it to identify the spot it was taken. Visitors do not have to subscribe to see the photos.

I have missed having somewhere to share my non-geographical photos and we have had some discussions in the forums as to the definition of a geographically informative photo. I reckon a boat that is typical of one particular region is geographically informative. Others reckon a boat like a car is movable so does not describe the place. I also reckon that scene from inside a pub in Dublin can be geographically descriptive, others just see it as a photo showing people.

Panoramio is great for a traveller like me, but not really the place for your family snapshots. There's nothing stopping you uploading them, but they're not really what Panoramio is about. If your photos are good (and geographically descriptive) they will be linked to Google Earth. (I'm all over GE like a bad rash). Look for the little blue and white dots that appear as you zoom in on GE.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Thanks everybody, this has been informative. I think Kodak is going to be the easiest for me and the closest to what I want. (Going to have to check out Panoramio--sounds interesting).

Susan
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Picasa is a Google offshoot and it's different than Photobucket et al but it works nicely.