Greg Patillo Flute beat boxing--amazing fluting!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Greg Patillo Flute beat boxing--amazing fluting!

Post by Hoovorff »

I just read about this guy in Flute Talk magazine. He's a classically trained flutist who plays in a beat box style. I've tried to post the youtube link. It's amazing. He starts out in a very classical style, and then..... You've got to see and hear it to believe it. Pretty phenomenal technique.

If the link doesn't work, just do a search at youtube.com for Greg Patillo or Patillo beatbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRqECV5SQ5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZX5qdIEB0

Reactions?

Jeanie
Last edited by Hoovorff on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

boom-che-che-boom-bibada...pretty cool!...boom-che-che-bi-boom-da
Cork

Re: Greg Patillo Flute beat boxing--amazing fluting!

Post by Cork »

He is a talented player, very good! Silky legato runs, great timing, and some monster chiff!

Perhaps one sonata too many could lead to this?

Nice find, and thank you!
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Now, if he could only imitate a bodhran, we wouldn't need those players....
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hoovorff wrote:Now, if he could only imitate a bodhran, we wouldn't need those players....
Who does "need" them? :twisted:

Actually, I love good bodhran playing. The ones to really get you running away are the djembe types........ (anyone got a "cringe" emoticon?)

I've seen some Patillo vids before. Not my cup of tea, but truly amazing and very entertaining in a TV variety show kind of way.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

This guy is truly amazing.

Is his style my cup of tea? No. But still, amazing.

I would surely hate to have to clean his flute!!! :o

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cork

Post by Cork »

Hoovorff wrote:Now, if he could only imitate a bodhran, we wouldn't need those players....
Beyond my being very much impressed with his playing, I note that he uses chiff more as a percussive effect.

So, with playing such as that, who needs bodhran players, anyway?

;-)
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I'm guessing he's much more than a one-trick pony, given his classical skills. Obviously, you wouldn't want a whole evening of this, although he could clean up busking. Throwing in a few of these during a performance would be just the thing. The rest of the time, who knows what musical marvels he is capable of? I hope to see more of him in the future.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Yes, the article about him in "Flute Talk" says that he can make more in one hour of busking than in his regular job.

He was trained at the Cleveland Institute of Music, studying with the principal flutist of the Cleveland Orchestra. He said he played with bluegrass bands, jazz, etc., and also got into extended techniques. His teacher marked him down in his grade because he wasn't dedicated solely to the "Classical" style.

I believe he teaches Dalcroze eurythmics as his day job. The Dalcroze method teaches music to children and others through lots of rhythm games and movement.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Seems he has an album:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/projectmusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMUlhuTkM3w

I'm still trying to figure out which is harder: the embouchure gymnastics or where to take a breath (I think he's huffing in some of his tunes)?!