What is your least favorite word?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

This thing.....

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
mutepointe wrote:there is this homemade word i've heard a few folks around here use:

flustered + frustrated = flustrated
Aren't all words homemade?
Bedad! No! Think . . . dictionary.

I'm surprised you did not know this. What did you do with that link I gave you, anyway?

Probably tumped it right out into the wastebasket. Tsk.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Yeah, well, like, whatever, yuh know? 8)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I thought of another thing that people often say that makes them seem really unintelligent: "Know what I'm saying?" I've heard some people use this almost after every sentence they say. It's usually said when someone's brain doesn't work as fast as their mouth.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My least favourite expression: "Oh, one more thing...".
My customers have a nasty habit of phoning up with an innocuous question. I've learned not to let my guard down. After the original question has been settled, there's "Oh, one more thing.." and it is something gawd-awful that it would take a combination of Machiavelli, Feynman and Gandalf to sort out. One in particular used to lay half a dozen "one more thing"s on me, and always at ten to five.

:swear:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I get a chuckle out of people who append the phrase 'over here' and 'over there' to nearly every sentence.

I have heard people say things such as... "I'm feelin' good today over here. How you doin' over there? Is that a new shirt over there? I had to buy new shoes over here. When's the next time you are comin' over here over there?" :lol:

Sometimes though, it goes on to the point I stop chuckling... :o
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Devolve, which can imply evolution is running backwards. Things can get worse from an anthropomorphic standpoint, but evolution goes forward in time, so it can't rewind to a previous state. The word just strikes me as so pseudo-intellectual.

As far as phrases go, I hate revenue enhancement, because it is just a buzzword for overcharging people, often by charging for unneeded incidentals. I remember on NPR news the reporter suggested that sort of behavior is immoral. The person representing the hospital responded that its ethical, that "It's for the share holders!" The other favorite excuse is that everyone else does it. Everyone, including shareholders, who takes more than their fair share is depriving the rest of the economy, especially the customer, of that money. It's like voting for a weaker economy, and you can vote early and often.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Setting aside obscenities and words whose meanings I dislike, the word that really annoys me is winningest.
Reasonable person
Walden
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Any business buzzword that comes out of a C-level mouth just makes me cringe. Do they have any idea how vacuous and sheep-like they sound?

The other word that makes me cringe is the contraction "there's" when the words should be "there are". I absolutely hate that.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm

Post by djm »

There're?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

NOT setting aside obscenities :) it's the F-word.

You know?
:D

When I used to work in an office, one of the managers always said "I have a problem with . . . " and my first thought was always "Well, isn't that just too bad. Deal with it."
Charlene
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Lately I've gotten tired of school administrators saying "piece" when they mean "part."

The latest thing...
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

WyoBadger wrote:Lately I've gotten tired of school administrators saying "piece" when they mean "part."

The latest thing...
The first definition of "piece" in my dictionary is: "a part of a whole". So, you might hear me say "piece" when I really meant "part", just like the school administrators. However, when the administrators say that half of the high school seniors are carrying a piece to school, that is when I would run the other direction and call for help. You definately do have to be careful how you use the word "piece", though. In most social contexts it isn't OK to say that you would like a "piece of that" unless you are certain that everyone knows with certainty that you are referring to the cake and not the cupcake beside it. You can get by with the expression, "That was a piece of cake".
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

sorry to join the 'least favourite phrase' crowd, but...

the one what really rankles my stones is:

"THE OLD COLLEGE TRY"

yeechhh :evil: :twisted: :moreevil: :devil: :swear: :boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Bills".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician