how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Go Berti! November 15th will be here in no time, so you'll be hearing in no time!! This is so exciting! My eyes are watering, and i'm grinning like a mad woman! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on this board.

This will be awesome.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'm sure the anticipation is just driving you crazy. Now would be a good time to start gathering together all the records and CDs you'll be wanting to listen to again: Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

you all are funny, its so great to read how you are following my story and are as curious as I am, myself, it seems.

hearing: yes! a lot of NOISE to start with lol!!!!! it will be a while until it's recognizable but partially depends on myself and how I practice with the rehab (and the piles of homework that are waiting, which I have EXTRA to do, because of being a musician)

it's gonna be FUN too, like being a kid again and asking "whats this" whats that??" of all the sounds I will be learning to hear.
mind you it IS possible that it will work right from the start but I am just trying not to expect anything there...

right now I am trying to make my mind up how I can start training my ears music wise.
I have already figured that this will involve a lot of listening (YES indeed, those groups but NOT grateful dead and stuff lol!!!!!!) to old music I used to listen to longer than ten years ago.
in my youth that was the police, queen, simon & garfunkel, john denver....I used to play american folk too...

so, scales it will be, simple, to learn to recognize the sound of the notes.
then it will be listening to a LOT of irish folk.
a sweet friend will be recording me a cd with mp3's from tunes I know so I can start figuring out things in an easy way and later on.....

if you have suggestions, feel free to SWAMP me with them please.
I might have overlooked something.
what has worked well for me lately is to have the dots along with the mp3 (NOT midi) and learn to work it out.
so if you know of resources working this way ( I know skip healey does with "have you this one" please post them, it will help tremendously to train my ear.

learning to listen by ear.
I never thought it was gonna happen. (squeeze me!)
learning from the dots was HARD to do, and still is and I do hope to get rid of that in the future (talking of one year ahead).

so now I will be sit back, grin, and bear it :D
warmest greetings to you all, friends!!!!

berti
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

You know Berti, I suspect that you won't have to do as much re-training as you think. Music is all about perception, which is all in the head, and I bet you never lost that. Lord knows I hear music all the time, more so when there's nothing playing externally! You already have all the synaptic connections that were formed in your youth, so I bet that the re-awakening will be a joy for those particular brain cells. They might have to shake some dust off, but I bet it will come quickly, especially considering how eager you are.

I am *so* looking forward to this success story. Prayers your way ...

:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

I feel SO touched by all the responses to this topic, it gives me courage to carry on on my quest.
And then to think that I have refrained for so long sharing this story on the board...... :)

thanks fyffer! I DO understand about you hearing music in your head even when nothing is playing out there.
same goes for me.........in a different way but STILL....just how I hear it and how I am learning tunes.

as for the rest, I will definitely have to wait and hear, I have no idea what my little brain will be able to do.
the point here being, you think like a hearing person, so for you it is kinda simple to see how it works and you are right there, it is all matter of training your brain.

that is exactly being the problem here, as I will have to start ALL OVER.
kind of how a computers hard drive can be wiped out, and you have to put it all back there....bit by bit.
and I have no hard drive filled with lots of music.........just the few tunes and cd's I know I have...and I am still trying to get a grasp of the "real" thing that makes ITM....progress is so much slower for me.
and if you are a fluter, you know how long it takes.

if I had lost my hearing much later than I actually have, it would be less of a challenge.
but I like challenges.........and thanks to some people of this board (and chiff chat!) I have had some suggestions on how to train my ear by listening and learn to recognize things before I can get to make sense of things BY EAR.

on the other hand: I know of stories with implanted people who heard WORSE than I do now (with hearing aid) and it is AMAZING what they can do!! and those aren't even musicians.
lately I am kinda stumbling about musicians with CI's or about to have them, so this is going to be an interesting story. (different genres though, wish they were ALL ITM and we could form a band hehe)

two weeks left..............
berti
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

a-hem. the grateful dead were brilliant.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

the countdown has started............7 days left till activation.....15th.
my iPod is still not stuffed to the brim but will be loaded today with what I have put on my laptop on cd's: harry bradley, kevin crawford, mike rafferty, garry walsh, sylvain barou, claus steinort from Steampacket are some of the names who will keep me company on the twice a week two hour train trips to the hospital for rehab and programming things.
I have put my hopes high and am in the best of moods awaiting the big moment, no matter what sounds there will come to me, I KNOW that in the end I will be able to hear much better than I have for a long long time.
meanwhile making WILD plans for next year :D

berti
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

This is all wonderfully amazing!

Just a few more days........
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

6. :)
anniemcu
---
---
---
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

5 :D

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

MagicSailor wrote:5 :D
Opps... I guess i can't tell time! :P
Last edited by anniemcu on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D try it again....now that you're awake :D
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Denny wrote::D try it again....now that you're awake :D

... Only 5 days, and counting! ...

There. I feel better now. :D
anniemcu
---
---
---
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

aahhhh good that you feel better now annemie :lol:

lots of thoughts going through my mind..........but yesterday a friend mailed me a link to train my musical ear with, it's called solfege training.
once my brains are getting used to the sounds, I will have a go with it.
who knows what that will bring me but sounds like the perfect thing I need right now. (if you don't know what solfege training is, google will tell you)

it is real hard imagining myself to hear, and especially UNDERSTAND what people are saying without having to lipread. it's gonna take time though I think before I can drop the lipreading.
never mind :D :D

berti