Switching quickly between notes -BCB- without overlap?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KatieBell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Switching quickly between notes -BCB- without overlap?

Post by KatieBell »

My sounds is improving steadily with daily practice and I'm decently fumbling through some tunes I couldn't attempt not too long ago while refining others that are sounding rather nice. There's one transition on a fast-paced tune that is getting me, though.

It goes:

xooooo
oxxooo
xooooo

Every time I play it, I get a little overlapping G (xxxooo) thrown in. Is this because my fingers aren't fast enough yet or is there some skill I should learn? Any tips?
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I think you should practice it.
That seems to be easy. You can try to switch those notes BCB quickly many times as an exercise, without playing it in a tune.
You should improve it in a few days I think.

Good luck!
Bothrops
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Just a thought: if the tune is fast, B-Cnatural-B and B-Csharp-B may not sound much different.

Still, I think it's worth mastering the movements involved.

Here's one thing that may help.

Play B-C-B-C-B-C-B-C. Find a speed where you can play it cleanly without the extra note cutting in.

Practice it a bit every day at that speed. Concentrate on keeping it clean.

After you've done that for a week, start working on playing it slightly faster, and do that for several days.

With luck and diligent practice, by the end of the second week you'll be well on your way to being able to do it cleanly even at a pretty good clip.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Guinness

Re: Switching quickly between notes -BCB- without overlap?

Post by Guinness »

KatieBell wrote:Every time I play it, I get a little overlapping G (xxxooo) thrown in.
Yes practice.
Ironically, when you progress to playing melodic staccato triplets, e.g., ABc or Bcd, you'll be practicing to get that G blip back in. :swear:
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Like James says, I'd see how it sounds with a natural.
But I think I know the problem. I think I recognise it from "A Farewell to Whiskey".

I also advise: sticking out your left elbow and bringing it as far forward as you comfortably can. Waggle your elbow up and you'll find you have a lot more "play" in your left hand.

Now this may be really bad advice. But it works. Use your wrist. When you flip from B to C# to B, keep your fingers stiff(ish) and rotate your wrist, so it does the work. It's hard to explain, but give it a try.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

It is a rather challenging physical feat for the fingers. It might be worth trying rolling that top finger half way off the note (half holing the Cnat) when playing that combination instead of lifting it up and off the hole. If you've got a good and quick ear, you should be able to reliably get a nicely tuned Cnat with half holing after a bit of practice.

Jef
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Thanks!

I'll keep at it and try all your advice.

It is from a song I found online called Aiken Drum. The little one liked it so I've been working on it. I'm still a little slow, but doing pretty good, except for that one place.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

As Jeferson said - you can rather easily half-hole it.

Or you can just try a little longer and you´ll sure make it.
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Pyroh wrote:As Jeferson said - you can rather easily half-hole it.

Or you can just try a little longer and you´ll sure make it.
:lol: Half-holing isn't a "rather easy" practice for me yet! I've been able to do it ok in two songs - America, America and The Huron Carol - and all the rest with half-holing I've skipped for the time being. Covering and uncovering them is enough to work on for right now! :D

I am able to do the BCB transition in Planxty Fanny Power, but that goes slower and has a longer time between the C and following B than Aiken Drum has. In Aiken Drum they somewhat speed up compared to the surrounding notes. Not knowing any music theory, I don't know what that's called. But I recognize that it is harder for my fingers to master! :lol:
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Here's a "cheat" way to do it. Sounds OK at full speed, but not on slower tunes.

X00-000
to
0X0-000
Short bio: 1952-
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

No secret to it (unfortunately). Just keep doing it slowly over and over.

For tunes like Rights of Man I find I can half hole it pretty easily. I try to practice both methods.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Here's a "cheat" way to do it. Sounds OK at full speed, but not on slower tunes.

X00-000
to
0X0-000
That's ok! But I think it will happen the same but instead of doing a G she'll do an A.
She just need to practice :D

Greetings!
Bothrops
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

The easiest way is the half hole for Cnat, like mentioned before. The nice thing about that is, if the tune/song is a good speed, a precise half-hole isn't necessary. Just roll the T1 finger up a bit and down quickly and it's BCB. Practice will improve the tonal quality.

The next easiest way is to get a whistle with a C natural thumb hole, or put a C natural thumb hole in yours. (This is fairly easy on a plastic or pvc whistle ... not so easy on a metal one without a drill press or experience IMO).
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

If you think tunes with BCB phrases are tricky, wait till you get to reels such as Repeal of the Union, Road to Lisdoonvarna (reel) Killavil Fancy, those'ill make you think twice about calling a BCB phrase tricky!! :D

Seriously though, just practice, and as someone else stated, you don't have to practice those BCB's in a tune, just play those 3 notes over and over and over... but remember to start off slow, so that you develop the control to doing this sequence cleanly, just as you're desiring. I'm chiming in, because I too remember when those BCB's were giving me the same hardship as you're describing Katiebell, and I did just what I mentioned, and within no time, problem solved.

However such as Guinness mentioned, that G overlap as you call it, can also be considered a techique for tapping C natural, (such as when playing a B or an A note first then briefly depending on the feel you're wanting to achieve, hit the G then on up to C natural. Or as I like to do, I'll bend the C natural doing all the above for even more color especially in slow airs) and when used efficiently can add some color to your playing. But one thing at a time... You can't learn everything in one day!

Best,

-Eric
mahanpots

bcb

Post by mahanpots »

So, here's my two cents worth

Try tonguing the C when playing BCB. Or tonguing all the notes, or the BC or the CB. That is, add a little "Tuh" before playing the note.