Davy Spillane whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blaine McArthur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaine McArthur »

I really don't want to get off on another "indisputable one v. unmentionable one" debate here. I am seriously, sincerely, really curious; is anyone familiar with Davy's whistles? Has anyone out there played one?

Blaine
thomlarson

Post by thomlarson »

I'd be interested to find out if anyone's ever even recieved an email reply from him concerning purchasing one of his instruments (I've sent a number of inquires with no response...).
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Sorry Thom, same here.

Erik
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

In the six or seven years I've been doing this, I've never gotten a message from a single person who has claimed to play a whistle made by Davy Spillane, except Davy Spillane.

Dale
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

On 2001-09-24 07:50, DaleWisely wrote:
In the six or seven years I've been doing this, I've never gotten a message from a single person who has claimed to play a whistle made by Davy Spillane, except Davy Spillane.

Dale
Is it a fact that his whistles are 'totally' his design and not a modified or 'tweaked' instrument from another maker ?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tony,

Interesting question indeed....

Thom and Erik,

Ditto here - no response to my e-mail (sent many moons ago) requesting info on his whistles. Why am I not surprised?

Loren
Blaine McArthur

Thanks all. It get the picture.

Blaine
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The exact nature of the D.S. low whistles is one of the enduring mysteries of whistledom. In my opinion, D.S.'s testimony regarding this hasn't exactly closed the book on it. These are the prevailing theories:

1. DS makes his own whistles entirely. He says he is available to make them for others, but there is little evidence of extant examples of his work out there. Not only have I never seen one or heard from anyone who has one, I've never seen liner notes on any recording indicating use of them. I guess one could say that it is plausible that he builds his own and simply hasn't had time to develop his whistle-making business, in spite of promoting it on his website.

2. DS begins with Overtons or Chieftains (I've heard Overton more than Chieftain) and makes changes in it to suit his own needs. If he offers his whistles for sale, one would hope this is not the case.

3. DS plays Overtons or Chieftains with no more than minor tweaks. I frankly doubt this, because it would make his claim that he makes his own whistles a bald-faced lie, and I sincerely don't think there's any reason to conclude that.

My own beliefs about this hover between 1 & 2.

Dale
Phil Hardy

Post by Phil Hardy »

Im so glad this topic has arisen,I to have emailed Davy about his whistles with no responce whatsoever.
I am also lucky enough to know him personally and have in the past made whistles for him personally and to sell on .I have also looked VERY closely at the whistles on his site and would say hand on heart that if the whistle in the pic is not one of mine then I can only assume that it must be the old Overton that he's had for 20 years.The only reaso that I think it may be mine is that the mouthpiece looks longer than the Overton that he owns(having played it and measured it personally)I find it very stranger that someone in his possition could/would lie blatently about making/playing/selling his own whistles,but after that now famous email to Dale Im wondering.Of all the well known low whistle players I know,Davy is much more inclined to self promotion and keeping any merchantising strictly to his own advantage.Maybe this is why he seems to be put to one side by the normal trad scene as most other whistle players are more than happy to help promote the instruments the use . In my opinion all the people I deal with on a professional level have been delighted to be associated with Goldie,Overton,Able,copeland and the like.So I think it might be an idea to take Davys'claims with a pinch of salt until he allows somebody to own of his OWN whistles up for scrutiny.I have always held Davy in the highest esteme and as a person he is shy and unassuming and has on occasion put me up at his home ,so I have no axe to grind only a keen interest in a claim.
Phil
Blaine McArthur

Thanks for your comments Phil. It is good to hear from someone who is personally acquainted with Davy. I have tended to give him the benefit of the doubt, because, frankly, I do like his music.

Is he aware that there are a great number of people out there (not just on this list) who have a less than favorable opoinion of him? Is he the kind of person who would care if he was aware?

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

In all the discussions regarding Mr. Spillane's celebrated e-mail to Dale Wisely, has anyone investigated the possibility that the message could have been forged, that is, not from Mr. Spillane at all? It is pathetically easy to do this ( forging ), and it is a good way to stir up trouble. I've read the thing, and the insulting tone is so gratuitous as to make one wonder -- especially when it's written to the proprietor of a widely-used website catering to Celtic music fanatics the world over ( that's us ... ) and it is in conflict with the "shy and unassuming" description offered earlier in this thread.

Unless we meet face-to-face to confirm identity and the content of messages, all any of us are to the rest of us are glittering phosphors dancing on a glass screen. Look up the word "virtual," and you'll find that "virtual reality" is *not* reality.

It's just a thought, and it may be 'way off base.

Offered for what it's worth: I play an Overton low D tuneable, and my tape of the early Riverdance broadcase shows Mr. Spillane playing something that looks *just* like what I have -- except perhaps the "tuneable" part. As a matter of fact, it's one of the reasons I have that particular low D. I'm willing to admit it could be tweaked, but the mouthpiece of an Overton is pretty distinctive.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I checked out his official website (I'm assuming that that is not faked). It makes the same statement about his playing his own pipes and whistles.

Since I've never seen an Overton or Kerry or Chieftain in real life, nor seen Spillane play (in person or otherwise), I have no opinions on this issue as to what he plays. I'm just curious.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Neil,

Good point (about the possibility of a forged message), but it's highly doubtful in this case: DS's website sports a declaration (in no uncertain terms) that's basically identical to the one Dale received - Namely that he (DS) uses only instruments of his own design and manufacture, and that he does not endorse any other instruments or manufacturers.

I think it's highly unlikely the website is also a fake.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whoops, sorry Tuaz - I must have been composing my note while you posted, didn't mean to duplicate your thoughts:)

Loren
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2001-09-24 13:48, tuaz wrote:
I checked out his official website (I'm assuming that that is not faked). It makes the same statement about his playing his own pipes and whistles.
Just a point of clarification: It's not Mr. Spillane's claim to play his own pipes and whistles that interests me, but rather the gratuitously insulting tone of the world-famous e-mail. My putative forger could have gotten the same information from his website, and then had his way with it.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey