turkey hot dogs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

turkey hot dogs

Post by Jack »

I'm cooking hotdogs at my house for about five friends. I can't cook pork. I have vegetarian hotdogs for myself and a couple other people, but even as a vegetarian myself I can't exactly say they're delicious. So I was wondering what your all's opinions are on turkey hotdogs? Have you ever eaten them? Do you like them? What goes good with hotdogs?
djm

Post by djm »

Personally I hate stuff made with turkey like turkey hotdogs, turkey bacon, etc. Turkey is best roasted and served in the treaditional manner IMHO.

You don't have to have pork hotdogs. There are lots of brands of all-beef hotdogs available. Different people have different tastes as to what goes with hotdogs, but offering a selection of common condiments will usually suffice: mustard, ketchup, relish, chopped onions.

I like peanut butter on hotdogs, but that's a strange fetish that others may not share. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:all-beef hotdogs
Oh. That didn't occur to me. You can tell I don't buy these things often. Don't I feel stupid now? :oops:

I went to the grocery store and I passed by all the pinkish hotdogs because they were all pork, at least I thought, and now I realize some of them were probably beef. I'll go back and look. (I noticed the turkey ones because they're a different color, sort of tannish.)

Thank you.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Depending on the store you go to there are all-beef hot dogs made of uncured (and therefore less carcinogenic) meat.

Since I don't eat any of that stuff I eat tofu dogs. I can't say the taste even approaches a ballpark frank, but if you smother it with enough mustard and relish it's not bad.
Jack

Post by Jack »

emmline wrote:Since I don't eat any of that stuff I eat tofu dogs. I can't say the taste even approaches a ballpark frank, but if you smother it with enough mustard and relish it's not bad.
I do too. I don't really like them at all. I just eat them for reasons I don't understand.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Are you looking for non-pork alternatives for your guests' faith reasons? Look in the kosher food section if you want to be sure it passes Jewish and/or Muslim dietary law. Some Muslims don't consider kosher food to be halal, but i think most would be fine with it. It's usually more expensive, though, so you might consider if it's necessary.

EDIT: if there is no kosher food section in your grocery, read the ingredients label on the hot dogs you want to buy if you want to make sure there isn't any pork in there. I've had times when i bought some really expensive gourmet chicken sausages and other poultry products, only to find out that the casing is made of pork entrails.
there is no end to the walking
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Cranberry wrote:I don't really like them at all. I just eat them for reasons I don't understand.
Well said! That beautifully sums up my attitude toward tube steaks in general. :lol: Disgusting, vile concoctions...but I still need one once in a while.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Beef, pork, turkey, chicken, whatever -- they are all made from the parts that, if they had not been ground beyond recognition, you would not put in your mouth: cow lips, pig anuses, turket testicles, chicken scotums, and all that leftover crap that gets swept up off the floor. If this bothers you, try Hebrew National hot dogs. These hot dogs are at least limited to the nasty bits from the front end of a cow. (Warning: The fat free ones suck.)

For an extra tasty dog, try Nathan's Famous hot dogs. Just don't think about what's in them.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Another addition to the condoments - my husband likes to put a mixture of ketchup and mayonaise on his.

We usually open a can of pork and beans and heat the hot dogs up in that - but it does have a little pork in that so you probably just want to cook the hot dogs separately.
Charlene
missy

Post by missy »

if you are looking for kosher - and can't figure out and are reading the ingredient label, you ALSO need to check for "milk, whey, sodium caseinate, casein". To be truly kosher, you can't have milk and meat together.
That's how I would check deli products for Nate, instead of reading the ingredient label, I'd just make sure they were kosher. No milk.

(Kahn's makes a very good all beef hot dog, but I don't know if they are kosher).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Don't think so much about them. Just gobble 'em down.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Don't think so much about them. Just gobble 'em down.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

As a child I always rather liked turkey frankfurters. They are made in the same manner as surimi.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Gonzo's right . . . go with the Hebrew National. They answer to a higher authority. The beef is, at least, humanely killed. Which I gather should be important to you.

He's right about Nathan's being tasty, too. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you do those Hebrew Nationals on a barbeque, you've got a little bit of heaven :wink: on a bun
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!