i declare the irish flute to have a new name

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Not being a deep fellow, I think that's a bit shall(youm)ow. ( :lol: )

I too have on quite a few occasions been asked if my wooden flute is a clarinet, but I've never had anyone insist it must be!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:I too have on quite a few occasions been asked if my wooden flute is a clarinet, but I've never had anyone insist it must be!
I'm in the same strange place as Clark. The fellow was observant enough to note - unique among the curious, in my experience - that the fingering was clarinetish. So that, and coupled with the blackwood and silver, made for his obstinacy. Funny how he missed the other details, though.

It's funny how what one thinks of as obvious just.......isn't. Really, I believe it's the keys that throw most people off when they're confronted with non-Boehm sticks. The keyless players don't seem to get the same confusion. I'm on a mission, though. Once I make sure people are clear on what the creature is, I've been telling them, "So, any time you see a wind instrument held like *this*, you've got a flute, some kind of flute. Always a flute. Whatever it's made of." And they are relieved and grateful, stronger of mind, and can spread the word on my behalf. The virus spreads. :twisted:

Only now that damned bawu popped up recently . Although it's transverse, it's not truly a flute, AND it sounds like a clarinet.

You just can't win.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
daiv

Post by daiv »

Nanohedron wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:I too have on quite a few occasions been asked if my wooden flute is a clarinet, but I've never had anyone insist it must be!
I'm in the same strange place as Clark. The fellow was observant enough to note - unique among the curious, in my experience - that the fingering was clarinetish. So that, and coupled with the blackwood and silver, made for his obstinacy. Funny how he missed the other details, though.

It's funny how what one thinks of as obvious just.......isn't. Really, I believe it's the keys that throw most people off when they're confronted with non-Boehm sticks. The keyless players don't seem to get the same confusion. I'm on a mission, though. Once I make sure people are clear on what the creature is, I've been telling them, "So, any time you see a wind instrument held like *this*, you've got a flute, some kind of flute. Always a flute. Whatever it's made of." And they are relieved and grateful, stronger of mind, and can spread the word on my behalf. The virus spreads. :twisted:

Only now that damned bawu popped up recently . Although it's transverse, it's not truly a flute, AND it sounds like a clarinet.

You just can't win.
i blame the chinese.

Marge: Homer! Our son joined the army!
Homer: Eh. Big deal. By the time Bart's 18 we're gonna control the world. We're China, right?
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Oh I see that the REALLY cheap bore oil I use was made in China. Probably tis lead based and has rotted me brain. I probably do play a clarinet from the side and just don't know it meself!

Clark[/i]
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

jemtheflute wrote:Not being a deep fellow, I think that's a bit shall(youm)ow. ( :lol: )
Oh boy (hautboy), they're ignoring my puns now! I've obviously (over)blown it!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

<snicker>

I remember playing duets for querflöeten in high school & college. Being as it was the late 70's/early80's, my duet buddy and I thought "queerflute" was pretty humorous.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cathy Wilde wrote:<snicker>

I remember playing duets for querflöeten in high school & college. Being as it was the late 70's/early80's, my duet buddy and I thought "queerflute" was pretty humorous.
Makes you cross, doesn't it? And did you float if you fell in?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Actually, it just made for a lot of bad jokes from others since this gal and I were best friends, too. In the spirit of the game we tried to register for the local solo and ensemble competitions as "The Queerflutes" but the administrators would have nothing to do with it.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

As they say (purportedly) in Yorkshire, "There's nowt so queer as folks"!

Perhaps the administrators were simply observing that you were playing perfectly "normal" (or "straight") Boehm, metal flutes? If you'd already gotten into things wooden, then perhaps (given mainstream blinkeredness of one kind or another) they would have thought you were playing queer flutes? Alternatively, if you'd had some banana shaped period boxwood traversos you could have demonstrated you were bent.

I do hope you didn't play too gaily for them!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

jemtheflute wrote:As they say <s>(purportedly)</s> in Yorkshire, "There's nowt so queer as folks"!
Perfectly good Yorkshire saying :)

Back on Topic

I've been several times asked what my (keyless) flute is. When I tell them it's a flute, I typically get a blank "Pull the other leg it's got bells on" look. Even when I put it up to my mouth and play a few notes they don't always seem convinced.
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
daiv

Post by daiv »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Actually, it just made for a lot of bad jokes from others since this gal and I were best friends, too. In the spirit of the game we tried to register for the local solo and ensemble competitions as "The Queerflutes" but the administrators would have nothing to do with it.
hahahaha. good for you! nothing like giving the old administrators a run for their money!
tootler wrote: Back on Topic

I've been several times asked what my (keyless) flute is. When I tell them it's a flute, I typically get a blank "Pull the other leg it's got bells on" look. Even when I put it up to my mouth and play a few notes they don't always seem convinced.
i have never run into any problems like that with anybody! they just think i'm weird and take my word for it.
daiv

Post by daiv »

jemtheflute wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Not being a deep fellow, I think that's a bit shall(youm)ow. ( :lol: )
Oh boy (hautboy), they're ignoring my puns now! I've obviously (over)blown it!
no, it just took us a couple days to get it!
daiv

Post by daiv »

clark wrote:Once when we were taking a break during a gig a fellow came up to me and said, "Nice clarinet playing...although I've never heard one sound quite like that before." So I said, "Well that's 'cus it's a flute." He rolled his eyes and said, "Look, I haven't had so much to drink that I don't know a clarinet when I see one. It's black with silver keys...clarinet!" "Well," says I "did you ever see a clarinet played from the side before?" Undaunted he said, "No I haven't. That must be how you get it to sound so unusual!" I took a deep breath and said, "Yup, not even Benny Goodman can play his clarinet from the side like that." The fellow wandered off probably satisfied that he had been clever enough to not let that clarinet player pull his leg.

So a flute by any other name is a clarinet.

Clark
i was writing in an email in response to someone about flutes, and i looked to the right and google had clarinet ads. so apparently thinks that the irish flute is a clarinet, too!
daiv

Post by daiv »

what about instead of saying pipes, you could say bipes? a portmanteux (or a po, as i like to say) of bag pies?

i really wanted to start a new thread to let everyone know that, but i thought i best behave.
daiv

Post by daiv »

daiv wrote:what about instead of saying pipes, you could say bipes? a portmanteux (or a po, as i like to say) of bag pies?

i really wanted to start a new thread to let everyone know that, but i thought i best behave.
i also cant take credit for that. a friend of mine made it up. he also came up with "sloosh" as a slurred version of solution. found sloosh, prob, say bipe stead pipe! guess no prob frace...