i declare the irish flute to have a new name

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TheSpoonMan »

jemtheflute wrote:Pass. Call me boring, even recidivist. I like plain ol' flute. Can't think of anything better, and I think it meets all of Cubitt's criteria. Nicknames are fine when they work - that's the point, whether they're humourous, affectionate or derogatory. If they're forced and artificial, don't strike a natural chord, then they don't work. There are some mildly amusing suggestions here, but nothing that works; at least, not yet. I like word games, as most of you have realised/suffered by now, but inspiration ain't coming on this one.
What he said. Also, the fiddle/violin thing happened for actual historical linguistic reasons- fiddle's the english name, and violin's the Italian. No one said "hey, I dont' wanna call this a violin anymore!" :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i like "tube"

i keep my whistles and flutes all over my livingroom on flat safe surfaces. there are no kids in the house. then my brother was visiting and put them all in a vase. now, all the whistles, flutes, and recorders that i don't play are in the vase and all the instruments that i do play are right back all over the livingroom again. but at least it looks like i keep some instruments nice and neat.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

This is my weapon. This is my gun. This ones for killing. This ones for fun!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Denny

Post by Denny »

slayed by a white kitten with a whistle...right
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
daiv

Post by daiv »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Pass. Call me boring, even recidivist. I like plain ol' flute. Can't think of anything better, and I think it meets all of Cubitt's criteria. Nicknames are fine when they work - that's the point, whether they're humourous, affectionate or derogatory. If they're forced and artificial, don't strike a natural chord, then they don't work. There are some mildly amusing suggestions here, but nothing that works; at least, not yet. I like word games, as most of you have realised/suffered by now, but inspiration ain't coming on this one.
What he said. Also, the fiddle/violin thing happened for actual historical linguistic reasons- fiddle's the english name, and violin's the Italian. No one said "hey, I dont' wanna call this a violin anymore!" :)
i'm very much aware of that! does anybody know if flute's were called something different in middle english?
skh

Post by skh »

Nothing substantially different I'm afraid.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med ... d=MED16436

Someone with real knowledge of Middle English might find something more useful than that, of course. In the same dictionary, "pipe" is already specific to the reeds and bellows type of pipes.
Shut up and play.
skh

Post by skh »

By the way, I have noticed that some people here in Germany use the english word "flute" as opposed to german "Floete" to specify the simple system wooden variety, in the same manner as fiddlers a few centuries ago might have started to call their instrument "violino".

Doesn't help you anglo-saxons, of course.
Shut up and play.
daiv

Post by daiv »

skh wrote:By the way, I have noticed that some people here in Germany use the english word "flute" as opposed to german "Floete" to specify the simple system wooden variety, in the same manner as fiddlers a few centuries ago might have started to call their instrument "violino".

Doesn't help you anglo-saxons, of course.
haha. so i guess i'll have to learn german and use the english word!

i'm not too happy with floute or flote.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The old name (pre-Bach) for the transverse flute was the traverso.

That sounds way too snooty for Irish music though. Also, some people (like me) still use the term to refer specifically to the one-key Baroque flute.

I have a little high-F piccolo...I call it my ouchpfife. :lol:

I think, in general, "flute" works just fine.

If you like, you could term it a "session flute;" that would do a good job of associating it with traditional dance music.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I played once at a fundraiser where my fully eight-keyed - and not cheap - blackwood flute was introduced by the M.C. as a "folk flute". Somewhat dismissively, too, I thought. Ignorant woman. If looks could maim, she would have left in a basket.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
daiv

Post by daiv »

Nanohedron wrote:I played once at a fundraiser where my fully eight-keyed - and not cheap - blackwood flute was introduced by the M.C. as a "folk flute". Somewhat dismissively, too, I thought. Ignorant woman. If looks could maim, she would have left in a basket.
haha, beethoven was totally folk, right?

going with "session flute", how bout "sesh?"
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Once when we were taking a break during a gig a fellow came up to me and said, "Nice clarinet playing...although I've never heard one sound quite like that before." So I said, "Well that's 'cus it's a flute." He rolled his eyes and said, "Look, I haven't had so much to drink that I don't know a clarinet when I see one. It's black with silver keys...clarinet!" "Well," says I "did you ever see a clarinet played from the side before?" Undaunted he said, "No I haven't. That must be how you get it to sound so unusual!" I took a deep breath and said, "Yup, not even Benny Goodman can play his clarinet from the side like that." The fellow wandered off probably satisfied that he had been clever enough to not let that clarinet player pull his leg.

So a flute by any other name is a clarinet.

Clark
daiv

Post by daiv »

clark wrote:Once when we were taking a break during a gig a fellow came up to me and said, "Nice clarinet playing...although I've never heard one sound quite like that before." So I said, "Well that's 'cus it's a flute." He rolled his eyes and said, "Look, I haven't had so much to drink that I don't know a clarinet when I see one. It's black with silver keys...clarinet!" "Well," says I "did you ever see a clarinet played from the side before?" Undaunted he said, "No I haven't. That must be how you get it to sound so unusual!" I took a deep breath and said, "Yup, not even Benny Goodman can play his clarinet from the side like that." The fellow wandered off probably satisfied that he had been clever enough to not let that clarinet player pull his leg.

So a flute by any other name is a clarinet.

Clark
haha, clarinet it is!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

clark wrote: So a flute by any other name is a clarinet.
Folk clarinet.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."