Bowling Green, Kentucky

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Post by Dale »

I just checked into a Drury Inn in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anybody want to hang out?
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

I'll meet you by the ice machine in five minutes. Do you have any quarters? I just have a fiver.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

They have free popcorn!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Free popcorn? That's very . . . thoughtful . . . of them. Be sure to read the label carefully for toxic flavorings and hydrogenated stuff.

Do you have a coffee maker? I know I would worry less if you ran it several times with plain water before using it to make coffee. You can wash the carafe in shampoo -- it's just as good as dish liquid. Do the same for those cups! You just never know where things have been . . . and it's moist inside those coffee makers . . . they're used just enough to keep all their little roach-attracting crevices damp! It's the perfect place for their eggs!

Speaking of where things have been, it's sometimes a good practice to ask for fresh towels. I know the ones in there look clean, but who really knows for sure? What if the last person only used one, but coughed and sneezed on the rest? And remember that study showing that every toilet flush created a room-filling aerosol of bacteria . . .

Just explain this to the management. They'll be happy to give you fresh towels. Sheets, too. I worry that the previous person would have made the bed so nicely that the housekeeper would have thought it hadn't been slept in! If you ask, they'll give you an extra clean sheet to cover any upholstered chairs you might want to sit.

Just pick up that bedspread so that it folds up, and plop it in an unused corner of the room. Although, I suppose no harm could come to you from sitting on it. Nothing that can't be cured with a little prescription, anyway.

Did you remember to bring a bit of disinfectant to wipe down the bathroom? And the phone? Etc.? They'll gladly let you use theirs if you ask, but shampoo will do in a pinch. Of course, then you'll need more of it, but that's ok. Just ask! :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
missy

Post by missy »

sorry - it's a four hour drive one way, maybe next time (or you can drive up 65, hang a right at 71 in Louisville, and come up to Cincinnati!)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Oh, and Lambchop, don't forget to tell Dale to bring his Luminol ! :P

Y'all have taken away some of the "fun" of my not-very-anticipated trip to Lost Vegas for a conference at the end of the month.....

Anyway, Dale, have a great trip. what's there to do in Bowling Green, anyway?

M

:-?
djm

Post by djm »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:what's there to do in Bowling Green, anyway?
Five-pin or ten-pin. What's your pleasure? :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wow you're so close to me (3 hours) and I'm going to Ohio this weekend! :(
missy

Post by missy »

Cranberry wrote:Wow you're so close to me (3 hours) and I'm going to Ohio this weekend! :(
Hey - if you are coming through Cincinnati, give us a shout, will ya???
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm not sure where we're going. I just know it's Ohio. I'll ask. :)
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

How Lambchop... :o

You always worry about things like that?!

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

djm wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:what's there to do in Bowling Green, anyway?
Five-pin or ten-pin. What's your pleasure? :twisted:

djm
Snort! Bowling GREEN! It's the stuff with Jacks, not ten-pin or nine-pin! Is it Crown, or just Flat? I'm guessing Flat.

Nice restful sport, and better acoustics than those raucous hell-holes with ten-pins.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Not close enough, but heck...I'm gonna try that next time I'm anywhere. The "anyone want to hang out" thing.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My family used to take camping vacations every summer and one year one of our stops was a great campground in Bowling Green, KY. The coolest part was that there was an amusement park attached and we could walk there. I played a ton of SkeeBall and won a giant teddy bear. I wonder if that's still there.

Also, I have to wonder about the person who named it the Drury Inn. It makes me think of 'dreary' and I prefer to stay someplace more upbeat.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Lambchop wrote:Free popcorn? That's very . . . thoughtful . . . of them. Be sure to read the label carefully for toxic flavorings and hydrogenated stuff.

Do you have a coffee maker? I know I would worry less if you ran it several times with plain water before using it to make coffee. You can wash the carafe in shampoo -- it's just as good as dish liquid. Do the same for those cups! You just never know where things have been . . . and it's moist inside those coffee makers . . . they're used just enough to keep all their little roach-attracting crevices damp! It's the perfect place for their eggs!

Speaking of where things have been, it's sometimes a good practice to ask for fresh towels. I know the ones in there look clean, but who really knows for sure? What if the last person only used one, but coughed and sneezed on the rest? And remember that study showing that every toilet flush created a room-filling aerosol of bacteria . . .

Just explain this to the management. They'll be happy to give you fresh towels. Sheets, too. I worry that the previous person would have made the bed so nicely that the housekeeper would have thought it hadn't been slept in! If you ask, they'll give you an extra clean sheet to cover any upholstered chairs you might want to sit.

Just pick up that bedspread so that it folds up, and plop it in an unused corner of the room. Although, I suppose no harm could come to you from sitting on it. Nothing that can't be cured with a little prescription, anyway.

Did you remember to bring a bit of disinfectant to wipe down the bathroom? And the phone? Etc.? They'll gladly let you use theirs if you ask, but shampoo will do in a pinch. Of course, then you'll need more of it, but that's ok. Just ask! :)
Lambchop - you sound like my husband! This is why we've only stayed in motels a handful of times in 20 years - he insists that camping is more sanitary because it's all our bedding and towels. I think of all the bugs we're out amongst, plus the campground restrooms and showers have been used by many more people than the motel rooms are in any one night!
Charlene