Amazing Q microbe: "lawn clippings" into ethanol!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Amazing Q microbe: "lawn clippings" into ethanol!

Post by Caroluna »

I read this article today in the business section of the Washington Post. This was new information for me, and it made me jump-up-and-down happy to read it.

Moderators, please move this downstairs to TNPCF (the New Political / Controversial Forum) if you think it belongs there!
The Washington Post wrote: In microbe, vast power for biofuel--
organism's ability to turn plant fibers to ethanol captures investor's attention

...Yet the best microbe may have been here all along, lurking near some ferns and an old stone dam just 20 minutes from her university lab. She has dubbed it the Q microbe for the Quabbin Reservoir [where it was collected].

Inside the jar, microbiology professor Susan B.Leschine found curious lollipop-shaped microbes with an uncommon ability to break down leaves and plant fibers into ethanol...[this could lead to] the next generation of ethanol, known as cellulosic ethanol, made from switch grass, wood chips, and other plant fibers.

I was very excited to read this article. I've had such mixed feelings about corn-based ethanol. Corn is a "greedy" crop-- takes a lot of fertilizer-- and is vulnerable to all sorts of insects, and to drought.

I'm wondering what individuals can do to encourage this kind of research / development.

article
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02216.html

chart comparing cellulosic ethanol production with corn ethanol production
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00222.html
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Oh, let's leave it here for now and see how it goes. It if ferments, we'll move it to the Poli.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Dale wrote:It if ferments, we'll move it to the Poli.
It if not ferments then it if not gonna help much. :wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Man, this is nothing but good news. I agree that growing corn for fuel seems expensive, when you consider the mountains of cellulose plant waste everywhere around us.

I always felt corn was an in-between solution for ethanol.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

The Weekenders wrote:Man, this is nothing but good news.
I think so too!!! :party: :party: :party:

But I imagine it's hard to get a new technology started. What can we mere mortals do to encourage this? Buy stock in the company?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Really, the neat thing about this is that it has the potential to turn a waste product into fuel. Instead of a municipal mulch pile, we could have ethanol production. It could be a new avenue for recycling and will reduce some of the land fill load (also lowering the amount of methane released due to decomposition).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Denny wrote:
Dale wrote:It if ferments, we'll move it to the Poli.
It if not ferments then it if not gonna help much. :wink:
If it ferments can we send the waste products downstairs and keep the ethanol in the Pub? :pint:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Caroluna wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Man, this is nothing but good news.
I think so too!!! :party: :party: :party:

But I imagine it's hard to get a new technology started. What can we mere mortals do to encourage this? Buy stock in the company?
Well, Shell Oil just announced some new big venture into cellulosic ethanol. It was in the business pages a few days ago. This announcement today puts it into context. Second time in a week I encountered the word "cellulosic."
djm

Post by djm »

Are you guys on drugs? Bio-fuels have already been shown to be the WORST solution, using more energy to produce, and causing more pollution in their production, than just continuing to burn gasoline. The only people pushing bio-fuels are the people who plan to make big dollars from them. Recent increases in food prices have already been directly attributed to big buyers sucking up large amounts of crops with the intention of turning them into bio-fuels.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

djm wrote:Are you guys on drugs?
Uh, yeah, but mine are the helpful kind. :lol:
...The only people pushing bio-fuels are the people who plan to make big dollars from them. Recent increases in food prices have already been directly attributed to big buyers sucking up large amounts of crops with the intention of turning them into bio-fuels.

djm
Right! That's why this Q microbe is so exciting. You don't need to use crops. One of the things they've been talking about using it on is "switch grass" which isn't really a crop??? It's easy to grow, and tough as nails. It doesn't need fertilizer, and is drought resistant.

The article mentioned using the Q microbe on wood chips. That would be cool. They also talked about using the fibrous biproducts of corn ethanol production. That would mean using the corn twice. The advantage I can see to that is-- it might be easier for people to accept. Kind of an add-on instead of a completely new thing.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

More about Switch grass!

http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/switgrs.html

Switchgrass is actually a native grass
The tall, native grasses of the prairie, so vital to our land's ecological past, may prove equally vital to its economic future. Such grasses once fed millions of bison.
Apparently they do use fertilizer on it, but I bet it takes less fertilizer than most crops, since it's a native plant.
Now, to make switchgrass even more promising, researchers across the country are working to boost switchgrass hardiness and yields, adapt varieties to a wide range of growing conditions, and reduce the need for nitrogen and other chemical fertilizers.
If there's people doing genetic research to improve yields, that means there's biotech money to be made.

Switchgrass will grow on soil that can't be used to grow other things.
In the hard, shallow soil of southern Alabama, Dave Bransby is turning cotton fields into swatches of grassland. Some Alabama farmers joke that there's no soil in Alabama to farm...Yet Bransby, a forage scientist at Auburn University, has found a crop that thrives there...Bransby's 6-year average, 11.5 tons a year, translates into about 11,500 gallons of ethanol per acre.
Now, this sounds really encouraging--
Many farmers already grow switchgrass, either as forage for livestock or as a ground cover, to control erosion. Cultivating switchgrass as an energy crop instead would require only minor changes in how it's managed and when it's harvested. Switchgrass can be cut and baled with conventional mowers and balers. And it's a hardy, adaptable perennial, so once it's established in a field, it can be harvested as a cash crop, either annually or semiannually, for 10 years or more before replanting is needed. And because it has multiple uses—as an ethanol feedstock, as forage, as ground cover—a farmer who plants switchgrass can be confident knowing that a switchgrass crop will be put to good use.

djm

Post by djm »

It is the cost of running mowers, balers, harvestors, etc. and then the transport to an ethanol producing plant where all the additional pollution and energy use comes in that makes bio-fuels such a wrong idea. Fertilizers, if any, are an additional expense on top of the harvesting costs.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I live in a big ag state. Later this year, the upper Sacramento Valley will be choking with the smoke of burned rice waste. Go up to Trinity, where they do a lot of logging and you'll find the air filled with timber slash burning. Producers are growing both of these products, only to turn around and burn the non-usable portions. If that's not contributing to pollution, I don't know what is...

Hopefully, the producer units can be sited near the waste, not far away. I understand your objections, though. Looking over them, I see that my conception is what you do with waste, more than what you specifically produce to create the stuff.

Drug-free except for likker.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Caveat: the hazards of wonder plants

When I was in college I had a class that emphasized tropical agriculture. We learned about a tropical wonder-tree called Leucaena (Loo-see-na)

http://www.satglobal.com/leuccore.htm#T ... 0Varieties

It grew very fast, was drought resistant, and was a great source of renewable firewood. It was introduced all over the tropics and many areas became dependant on it. Then an insect pest showed up and decimated the Leucaena plantings. That was where the story had ended when I last read about it.

Apparently in the following years, the situation has stabilized...
The arrival of the leucaena psyllid where it has not occurred before represents a significant disturbance of the existing ecosystem. Given time, a balance has been reached in most areas invaded by psyllids.

Whoever works on Switchgrass will have to avoid the Leucaena problem! And no doubt, there will be unforseen problems as well.

OK, I'm done for now, thanks for listening :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Our hills are covered with eucalyptus trees, introduced as the wonder plant of the late 1800s. They choke out native vegetation, enabling only poison oak to grow under them, and shed prodigious amounts of bark and wood, which in turn becomes a huge fire hazard.

Oh yeah, we know about unintended ag consequences!!