Hooray beer!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is your favorite brewery?

Dogfish Head
3%
Anheiser Busch
No votes
Boulder Brewing
No votes
Miller
No votes
Rogue Brewery
3%
drunk Belgian monks
25%
Guinness
11%
that guy down the street
6%
Samuel Smith's
No votes
other
53%

Total votes: 36

Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hooray beer!

Post by Flogging Jason »

This one is for you drinkers out there....with some options for you beer snobs(like me).

My personal (current) favorite is the 90 Minute IPA by Dogfish Head
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Places like Miller and Busch aren't breweries, they're soft drinks manufacturers.

I don't really know breweries that my beer comes from, I just go on the beer itself. Belhaven Best, Tennents Ember, Tennents Velvet and John Smiths are my favourite mainstream beers but if I can get them I love various ales like 3 Sisters, Orkney Dark Island, Deuchars, Lia Fail or whatever's on the tap at one of my locals really (they have a lot of guest ales from around Scotland and the UK).
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Our Local Microbrewery, in the next village:
http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/

Sad to say, I'm not fond of what they produce.

Shephard Neame, in Kent, produce Bishop's Finger, which is a lovely Ale.

Wychwood in Oxford make Hobgoblin and Wytchcraft and some other lovely stuff.

(I quite like Old Speckled Hen, but it's produced by Greene King. Boo! Hiss!)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote: (I quite like Old Speckled Hen, but it's produced by Greene King. Boo! Hiss!)
Yeah Greene King bought Belhaven so now Best has a bitter taste to it. They've left the Belhaven pubs almost completely untouched though, the only theing they've done is replace all the nice beer with Greene King IPA and Abbots. The Basmatis.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

My very favorite, although I don't drink it often, is Duvel from Belgium. It's an amazingly complex strong ale. Gotta get me some...
Speaking of Belgians, there's a wonderful Belgian brewery in Cooperstown NY. It's run in conjunction with the people who brew Duvel in Belgium and they make outstanding Belgian style ales at considerably lower cost than the imports:
http://www.ommegang.com/
They have a good factory tour, including sampling. If you're anywhere in the Northeast give it a try. Cooperstown is a beautiful little town which boasts the Baseball Hall of Fame and makes a wonderful weekend trip.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I picked "other". My favorite beers and brewery are Free State Brewery in Lawrence, KS. http://www.freestatebrewing.com/

Unfortunately, they don't sell across the Missouri state line where I live, but it's only 45 minutes away and well worth the drive. In fact, I'll be there either this Sunday or the next (can't recall which now).

Eric
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

chrisoff wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: (I quite like Old Speckled Hen, but it's produced by Greene King. Boo! Hiss!)
Yeah Greene King bought Belhaven so now Best has a bitter taste to it. They've left the Belhaven pubs almost completely untouched though, the only theing they've done is replace all the nice beer with Greene King IPA and Abbots. The Basmatis.
OMG, that sucks. I would have listed Belhaven as among my all-time favorites, but it's really difficult to find around here. Probably my favorite beer otherwise is Hoegaarden from Belgium. There was also a Belgian blonde I was able to get six months or so ago with a really nice spicy flavor, but I haven't seen it since.

Closer to home, I'm quite fond of Saranac Pale Ale and, even closer, some of the Wild Goose brews.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

chas wrote: OMG, that sucks. I would have listed Belhaven as among my all-time favorites, but it's really difficult to find around here. Probably my favorite beer otherwise is Hoegaarden from Belgium. There was also a Belgian blonde I was able to get six months or so ago with a really nice spicy flavor, but I haven't seen it since.

Closer to home, I'm quite fond of Saranac Pale Ale and, even closer, some of the Wild Goose brews.
The bitter taste that's now in Best is metaphorical BTW. It still tastes the same as it always has. I should have been a bit clearer really but I have a head full of the cold and wasn't paying attention when I started throwing the word bitter into sentences to do with beer. Oops.

Hoegaarden is nice, although a little pricey. Leffe is another good Belgian brand, although it also comes in silly glasses.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

First off I'll say that while I'm a beer drinker, I'm not a connoisseur and have pretty pedestrian tastes.

Living in Miller country, I have to give a nod to them, and Miller Lite is my "safe" choice when at someplace with limited options or I just don't know what to have.

I've become a big fan of Leinenkugel's recently. I love their Summer Shandy they had out over the summer months, and a Honey Weiss (with lemon if you've got it) is always good.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My favorite beers are invariably Belgian. I'm not a snob about it..every time I go to a beer tasting, the ones I like best just end up being Belgian. I guess they know a thing or two about beer.

My favorite for a while was Chimay gold. But now they've changed the labels, and I'm not sure which of the 3 options is the equivalent to the "gold". heh.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I haven't a lot of the ones in the poll, but of those I've had I'd say Samuel Smiths. My actual current favorite is Smithwicks.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I can't possibly choose without trying them all first. Free samples welcome.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I can't drink beer.
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

Cranberry wrote:I can't drink beer.
Then you have a drinking problem.
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten