Vile8

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

I know vegetables can seem frightening

http://www.veg-fantasy.com/

but it might help if they are presented in a more appealing way

Be sure to wash them well.

It's very important to your health to take one of these regularly.

...After a while, veggies will start to have more appeal!

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, fine. I see I'll have to tell you the secret. Tabasco sauce.

Cures the flavo(u)r of anything.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Chicken Noodle & Brown Windsor jobs: go for Scotch Broth, Spring Vegetable Soup, Carrot & Coriander, or Cock-a-leekie.
What is Brown Windsor????
Cotelette d'Agneau
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

one of the ways I used to "sneak" veggies into the kid's diet was by making homemade wontons. I'd use well drained ground beef or pork, but I'd boil up some veggie mix (usually fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery), then puree them with the water they were cooked in, and mix that into the meat, along with some spices, then stuff the wonton wrappers with them. Instead of deep frying, I'd just brush them with oil and bake them instead, turning several times.

But the best way to get someone to eat veggies is to grow them. I once caught Noah sitting in the middle of the lettuce (we'd mix all types of lettuce seed together and fill a bed, it would look very pretty with the red oak leaf, spinach, and other colors) with a bowl of salad dressing, ripping and dipping and eating.
I never got a chance to cook any peas - the kids would eat them as soon as the pods came on, and almost never let them get actual peas - but if they did, they'd eat those raw, too.
And, of course, there is absolutely NO comparison to home grown tomatos. We also grew peppers of all kinds, green beans, onions, garlic and herbs, brussel sprouts, spinach, and strawberries.

I tried asparagus, but didn't get it to "take". It's VERY labor intensive for the first five years, but if you can get it through that, it lasts for years. And it tastes nothing like what you purchase in stores.

Unfortunately, I don't have the yard for a garden anymore - too much shade. We did do some container tomatos this year, and they worked out well.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're a chile head, Tabasco/your favorite hot sauce is a good way to make V8 palatable. Barely.

If you go the carrot juice way as suggested earlier, just remember Bugs Bunny's adage: NEVER mix carrot juice and radish juice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Grey Goose.

Sorry, its the best way.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:... there is absolutely NO comparison to home grown tomatos. We also grew peppers of all kinds, green beans, onions, garlic and herbs, brussel sprouts, spinach, and strawberries.
This indeed!!
We have too much shade in our yard for a garden as well, but I keep one at my mother's house. This year we got killer-mutant tomatos the size of softballs and sweet as candy (I'm a big tomato lover, in fact, that's what I brought to the office for lunch today: Tomato and grilled Portobello cap sandwich :) ).
There's something in the soil at my parents' house that the plants find yummy, because everything I grow there turns up great.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the world. I love raw tomatoes, I love tomato sauce, I love ketchup, but I can't stand V8 or Bloody Marys.

We actually had something interesting at a friends house this weekend. They mixed yogurt with garlic, drizzled over sliced tomatoes and added a little parsley and grated mozzarella. Very tasty.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Tyler Morris wrote: We have too much shade in our yard for a garden as well, but I keep one at my mother's house. This year we got killer-mutant tomatos the size of softballs and sweet as candy (I'm a big tomato lover, in fact, that's what I brought to the office for lunch today: Tomato and grilled Portobello cap sandwich :) ).
We've made mini-pizzas using portobello caps instead of pizza crust. Came out pretty darn tasty.
Last edited by beowulf573 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
djm

Post by djm »

I love Indian food ... well, most of it ... I mean, of the stuff I've tried ... anyways ..... so I have purchased several kinds of Patak's curry sauces and will see what they do for me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Bright idea! :D

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:I love Indian food ... well, most of it ... I mean, of the stuff I've tried ... anyways ..... so I have purchased several kinds of Patak's curry sauces and will see what they do for me.

djm

For your V8?? I don't recommend that at all! My goodness! What are you thinking??

I'm sorry I did not keep up with this thread! Oh, the travesty!

No, Patak's products are best consumed straight from the jar.

Barring that, you can make a tasty meal of steamed whole grains, or rice, surmounted with a few beans or grilled chicken slices and some cooked veggies, topped off with a dollop or two of just about any of Patak's delicious sauces.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Puh-lease! I have enough trouble heating up a can of soup. That would be way beyond my cooking abilities.

I bought some canned chick peas. I'll see if I can figure out how to make a sauce with the Patak's for them.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Loblaw's chains (Real Canadian Superstore, Provigo, or whatever variant you have out your way, mjb) carry the President's Choice brand. They put out a 25% cheaper and less fattening alternative to Patak's that is very tasty. They've got a Madras Curry sauce that is usually $3.89 here in BC and comes on sale every six weeks for $2.99. We make many of our own Indian sauces at our place, but on the days that time is short, this PC stuff is worth a try.

Instead of President's Choice, you can consider it Rashtrapati's Choice. ;)

Jef
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lambchop wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Chicken Noodle & Brown Windsor jobs: go for Scotch Broth, Spring Vegetable Soup, Carrot & Coriander, or Cock-a-leekie.
What is Brown Windsor????
It's Brown Soup. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!