why left hand on top?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
robbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

why left hand on top?

Post by robbie »

there are not many whistlers in my area so I have been teaching myself from the internet mostly. I went to my first session last week and found out that everyone else puts thier left hand on top. but when I picked up the pennywhistle the first time I just naturally put my right on top. Is there a reason the left is always put on top? is it a problem to put the right on top? I would prefer not to change since I am already used to the way I do it. and I did hear that paddy moloney put his right hand on top when he started and only changed when he learned the uilleann pipes.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by awildman »

Do whatever works for you. But if you ever plan to learn the pipes or a right-handed flute you may want to switch pretty quickly. Switching after years of playing might be difficult. Totally up to you.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well said, Wildman.

If all you're ever going to play is the high whistle, it probably doesn't matter. But lots and lots of woodwind instruments--transverse flutes, clarinets, saxophones, just about anything with keys--are impossible to play with the right hand on top.

Also, I believe many low whistles have the holes curved to help finger alignment. Again, this would be pretty much impossible to manage unless you have the left on top.

So, since right- or left-handedness isn't an issue (since you use both hands anyway), my advice would be to go ahead and get in the habit of playing with the left on top, so if you ever decide to take up any other instruments it won't be an issue. And if you do make the switch, obviously sooner is better than later.

:)
Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Being left-handed I had wondered about that question myself. Getting into Whistlemaking helped find out why.

The majority of you folks out there are right-handed, instrument makers of years and years back decided that the stronger hand should support the greater weight of the instrument. You would think that there would be a better answer and that the left hand seems to get more work. Well, I pose another example to you, the Guitar - All the hard work is done by the left hand again and strumming by the right.

Maybe someday, they'll do some research on how the brain works with this. Maybe some whistle players in the medical field can apply for a government grant - it's definitely more important than studying mating habits of Tsetse flys.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well I'm right handed, but I play whistle and pipes left handed, figure that one out!!

Well, there's really nothing to figure out... The whistle was my first instrument ever, and when I picked it up, I naturally put my right hand on top from the get go. And at the time, I didn't know the uilleann pipes I play today even existed. By the time I got to the pipes, 3 years of solid playing on the whistle meant I couldn't make the change very easily at all in order to play the much more commonly made right handed uilleann pipes. My brain was already programmed, and believe me I tried, my brain was set. As the pipes and whistle have very close fingerings, I found it hard to play the pipes (initially when I first got my set) right handed. I could play the scale, but learning tunes on the chanter became a real pain... So I figured after 2 months of this struggle, I bought another L&M bag, tied in the blowpipe stock on the "left" side of the bag, and within a week, I was exceeding the progress I had done in the efforts of 2 months, simply because the fingering of the chanter are so close to that of the whistle.

MOral of my long boring story is, pick a side, and stick with it, if you plan to change, do it now, or forever hold your peace. Might I suggest playing right handed... It's not impossible to play lefthanded, with good instruments to boot, it's just easier to find more, good quality instruments, that are set up for right handers. Such as uilleann pipes for example...

Good luck to ya,

-Eric
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Because playing the with the right hand up top is really gauche. <g>

Even keyless flutes can be specifically right or left handed (embouchure cut, mounting blocks).
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

umm, so you can play the regs with the bottom hand?? oops, wrong forum
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Because the tin whistle is a gateway drug :boggle: to the uilleann pipes, the vast majority of which are "right handed". As mentioned before, you tend to get a "mind set" of playing all instruments one way after it is learned.

I have a right handed friend that learned left handed, so we can't swap pipe sets to try each other's out (keyblocks and keys get in the way).

I am left handed when using one hand, but left on top seems more "natural" to me as everything I do (except for shooting) two handed I do righty. Since my left arm is stronger, the bag management is easier for me "right handed".

If you stick with lefty, it will be harder to find an UP set.

You can't resist....I am living proof.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i'm a right-hander who accidently taught myself to play the whistle left-handed and then the irish flute left-handed, then i was given GIVEN, a silver flute by a nun. i've spent the last year of so, trying to relearn the whistle and irish flute right-handed. although i can do this, i only play left handed in front of people and play the silver flute right handed.

i could have saved myself lots and lots of trouble and work and rethinking if i played right-handed to start with. if you still have time, i encourage you to switch to right-handed.

let us know what you decide.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

My dd is a lefty and naturally puts her right hand on top. Whilst teaching her twinkle twinkle yesterday I suggested she put her left hand up top - she is 6 and tells me it doesn't feel right. So, I let her keep on the way she was as I don't want to spoil the fun she's having and didn't see a point to playing the other way. Now I think I should really insist she changes the fingering now while she is learning. :)
robbie

Post by robbie »

I still havn't totally decided. the first time I tried to play left on top i couldn't even get through three notes of foggy dew :evil: . but my brother might be getting a set of pipes which means I could play them for free :wink: . but I don't know, next on my list was either mandolin or banjo. I still gotta do some more thinking.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I can't change its just to late. I am not intrested in the flute, and if I ever get interested in the pipes i'll get a lafty set I suppose
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No, you can change. It will just take some hard
work. You might not wish to.
Denny

Post by Denny »

You put the left hand on top because most people are right handed.

Often there will be spots in a tune that only uses the one hand.

The right hand is briefly free to pick you nose or throw something at the percussionist.

Left handed people have been forced, by living in a right handed world, to be more ambidextrous and should be able to do both with either hand.

Thank you,
d
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

If Jimi Hendrix could play his guitar upside down, than I say you can play your whistle with your right hand on top :thumbsup:

(just make sure it's not upside down :P)
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde