which way?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

1. I perceive her as rotating clockwise.
2. No matter what I try, I cannot make myself see her spinning counter-clockwise.

Hmm...

Item 1 supposedly indicates that I'm imaginative, but item 2 seems to indicate that I'm too unimaginative to perceive an alternate reality.

I am forced to conclude that I have a vivid unimagination.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I can't make her spin clockwise. Odd. I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly left-brain person.

Ah well. Life goes on...

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

WyoBadger wrote:I can't make her spin clockwise. Odd. I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly left-brain person.

Ah well. Life goes on...

T
Same thing for me, except I know I'm mostly left-brained.

I can't see her as anything other than spinning counter-clockwise with her left leg lifted.
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fyffer »

jsluder wrote:1. I perceive her as rotating clockwise.
2. No matter what I try, I cannot make myself see her spinning counter-clockwise.

Hmm...

Item 1 supposedly indicates that I'm imaginative, but item 2 seems to indicate that I'm too unimaginative to perceive an alternate reality.

Ditto, and Ditto.

Very odd, since I can usually see through most optical-illusion type activities. This is just bugging me to no end ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Denny

Post by Denny »

fyffer wrote:
jsluder wrote:1. I perceive her as rotating clockwise.

Hmm...

Ditto, and Ditto.

Very odd, since I can usually see through most optical-illusion type activities. This is just bugging me to no end ...
I'll raise ya a ditto...
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

If I just look at it and don't try to force one or the other rotation, she goes back and forth with her leg pointed toward me. But if I want to, I can make it rotate in either direction. What am I to do?
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

means your focusing one the "for" in "Nation waits: Howard set for poll showdown" under the picture :lol:

thanks!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

She looks to me like a mannequin created by "poser" or some similar mannequin application. What's more, I think she's created actually rotating clockwise. By making her into a silhouette it should be possible to see her rotating the other way, but the more visually experienced of us see more clues for rotating clockwise, and can't ignore them.

For instance, the raised foot is lower when travelling in front of her. That agrees with the viewpoint we are given, slightly above the model. But if that is the case, the model can only be turning clockwise.

Had they given a level foot, it would have been easier to switch directions.

Has anyone noticed the raised foot changing size as it passes "in front of" the model? It increases in size as it moves on the model's left side. That is, the right hand side of the image. This increases the impression of a clockwise turn. Then it diminishes in size, quite suddenly, as it passes the other leg. This is a deliberate attempt to foster the illusion. Unfortunately, for some of us, it just isn't enough.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

When i first looked at it, i saw it rotating clockwise. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to see the image rotating counter-clockwise; now i can pretty much make it go either way.
there is no end to the walking
ketida

Post by ketida »

She would spin both ways, randomly, when I first started looking at it.

Then, after a few minutes I realized I could make her change direction either by shifting my focus away from her, or closing my eyes for a few seconds.

That was fun!

But I'm totally mystified as to whether I am right or left-brained.

Maybe it's a no-brainer. :wink:
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It went clockwise initially, but I can make it go either way at will. Can even make her swing from left to right, rather than going around in a full circle. Which is, I believe, how they constructed the thing. She doesn't actually go all the way round.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:If I just look at it and don't try to force one or the other rotation, she goes back and forth with her leg pointed toward me. But if I want to, I can make it rotate in either direction. What am I to do?

That's . . . that's . . . that's exactly what I see!

How uncanny is THAT?

What to do? Celebrate your gifts! I'm thinking a pint o' grog would be nice.
Cotelette d'Agneau
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Clockwise and only clockwise. Can any of you tell me if you view source on the page are we all seeing the same image?

This is the one I saw:
/common/imagedata/0,,5693171,00.gif

(So, is a search for how it works, for facts, for possible conspiracy a sign of being right or left-brained?)
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Denny

Post by Denny »

try looking below it and not focusing
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I keep seeing her switch directions. I can't make myself switch her except by looking away and looking back.

But then a few times, her foot/ankle area was spinning counter clockwise while her upper body went clockwise. :o