i declare the irish flute to have a new name

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

sbfluter wrote:They call anything you blow a horn and anything you play an axe, don't they? I've had people refer to my flute as both a horn and an axe.
Sounds like a hoax to me.

Jennie
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

sbfluter wrote:They call anything you blow a horn and anything you play an axe, don't they? I've had people refer to my flute as both a horn and an axe.

My dad used to call our recorders "toot flutes". Too undignified.
You are correct, although I think "horn" is best confined to something that has a bell at the end of it. And although used fairly universally, I think "ax" is generally thought of as reference to a guitar or bass. Maybe banjo and mandolin, but one tends to hear it more in rock circles than in trad.

Flute should really have its very own trad designation. One that is dignified, yet playful; descriptive, yet whimsical; folksy, yet sophisticated; self-deprecating, yet with its head held high; not too sweet, not too tart; fair and balanced; something we can all agree upon, yet flexible in its useage; a word that can be spoken trippingly on the tongue without irony, but aglow with affection. A word for the Ages. Something that says, "I am an exponent of the beautiful melodies of Ireland, hear me roar!" without being pretentious.

Is this too much to ask?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Jennie wrote:
Sounds like a hoax to me.

Jennie
Or an acorn.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

At the end of the show the other night, Paddy Keenen called out to someone in the audience and said something like, "Jim? Where are you? I know you've got that axe of yours, now get on up here!" Jim plays fiddle.

I think flute is fine. Wooden flute, Timber flute (that's the one Paul Bunyan plays, right?) or Irish flute.

I suggest the other guys start calling what they play a flaut.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Pass. Call me boring, even recidivist. I like plain ol' flute. Can't think of anything better, and I think it meets all of Cubitt's criteria. Nicknames are fine when they work - that's the point, whether they're humourous, affectionate or derogatory. If they're forced and artificial, don't strike a natural chord, then they don't work. There are some mildly amusing suggestions here, but nothing that works; at least, not yet. I like word games, as most of you have realised/suffered by now, but inspiration ain't coming on this one.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

You mean "drool pipe" isn't already universal?

-Craig
awildman

Post by awildman »

Ah yes. But why do we have veeolas and violins? No matter how sweet a name you try to come up with, it's still a big violin. A dog turd sprayed with perfume is still a dog turd.

I guess what I'm saying is that an instrument is what is. I've never been overly obsessed with trivia or words. More with mechanics or physics or essences. A flute is something I blow into and produce a beautiful sound. Well, kind of. Still working on the beautiful part. But beyond that, it's all about the sound and the music. Besides, labels are peeled off quite easily.

A rose by any other name.....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A fipple-free tranverse low whistle.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I always liked Micho Russel's pronunciation: The Kon'sart Flu'it. Maybe we good do something with that.

We'd been discussing this topic from a different perspective. It always bothers me to write on postal documents the nature and value of the contents. Flute, $4000 seems to be going out of your way to attract potential pilferers. We thought Feadog mhor might interest them less. Or even Kon'sart Flu'it.

Terry
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I vote for "blinder."

Kevin Crawford said to someone at Augusta "You were playing a blinder there, _______!" (I still can't tell whether it was ironic or not)

Anyway, I've been fond of that word ever since. So if I can't call the thing The Irish Instrument of Torture (or, perhaps, a name that can't be mentioned around children), AND I take it as a noun to describe the flute instead of the playing of it, I think "blinder" would be just dandy.

The Irish Blinder. I like it!
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:So if I can't call the thing The Irish Instrument of Torture
No. That would be a bodhrán.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

The way I play sometimes, I should just call it "fffffffff..."

When it gets more musical and less hissy, the "lute" part enters in.

Jennie
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

lilterschtick
daiv

Post by daiv »

Terry McGee wrote:I always liked Micho Russel's pronunciation: The Kon'sart Flu'it. Maybe we good do something with that.

We'd been discussing this topic from a different perspective. It always bothers me to write on postal documents the nature and value of the contents. Flute, $4000 seems to be going out of your way to attract potential pilferers. We thought Feadog mhor might interest them less. Or even Kon'sart Flu'it.

Terry
i thought of floo-iht. i like feadog mhor, but we gotta hibernize it. maybe fed?

i agree the term needs to feel right, which is why i so readily abandoned floodle. how about coke, for cocus? "i was playing my coke all day yesterday" "do you play the coke?" or for that matter, how about black. "although i play concertina, i started off playing the black."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Terry McGee wrote: We thought Feadog mhor might interest them less.
I always thought that feadóg stáin looked like a pet accident rather than an instrument. A potentially pilfer proof name.

~~~~~~
I would lean towards calling mine a stick. If it had more keys than a prison warden and enough precious metal rings to make a princess blush, I would call it a scepter.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."