List your favorites

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

List your favorites

Post by scheky »

It's been a while since we have done this...

Time to let your choices shine. List your current top five whistles (make and key) and why you like it most currently. It's always fun to see how the other half lives.

I'll start....

1. Sindt Silver D (dear god, I LOVE it...I almost never pick up a different whistle)

2. Burke WBB D (Old style from 2000, still a wonderful sound)

3. Obrien C (of the set of 5, it's the strongest imo and I love it. I still need to get my hands on more of his work)

4. Burke Low F Aluminum (nuff said)

5. Copeland Low D (actually, though I love it, it's getting very little play as I play the flute more lately)

Even though I'm working very hard on the flute, I'll never give up my WHOA!
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

1. Bleazey blackwood high D (session whistle)
2. Feadog high D (nice traditional tone)
3. Chieftain OS low D (good for song accompaniment)
4. Clarke Sweetone (quiet and fast)
5. Generation Eb (quite good and for playing along with Eb recordings)
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

1. Dion Cocobolo in D. Beautiful wooden whistle with excellent mellow tone.
2. Generation Bb brass redtop. Very nice mellow tone and any song played on it plays great with a different character than my Ds.
3. Walton's brass D. My favorite cheapie that has a nice traditional sound.
4. Clarke original D. I smushed down the windway somewhat so breath requirements are manageable.
5. Feardog brass D. My first pennywhistle so it deserves a spot on this list.

This list will obviously change in the future as I acquire more whistles!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Well a couple months ago I took the plunge and bought aluminum Burkes in low D, G, A, C, and high D. I'm still on sort of a honeymoon with these. I just love the way they all play. So those would have to be my current Fav Five.
Prior to that Burke splurge it would have been:
1) heavily tweaked Feadog D I've been playing for around 20 years, a wonderfully sweet and responsive whistle, my old warhorse
2) Susato low C: very expressive for slow airs
3) heavily tweaked Generation C which plays if anything even better than that Feadog, the best Generation I've ever played
4) Generation B natural I made by cutting down a B flat
5) Generation low A I made using a B flat top and new body
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

1) Dixon polymer in D...so clear and responsive! And after dropping it a few times, it's also my little tank. :P
2) Clarke in D...yeah, I love it. For airs it really can't be beat. The lower octave is breathy and the higher octave is clear and sweet.
3) Generation brass in Bb...what a beautiful instrument! I love the way it sounds with airs, too.
4) Walton brass C...it's also my most wartorn-looking whistle, because of the delightful way the laminate peels off from around the toneholes.
5) Susato Dublin low G...my first low whistle. Quite a fun thing to play, too!
Last edited by synecdoche on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

1. Colin Goldie Overton high D. Superb, doesn't get better than this.

2. O'Brien brass narrow bore high D. Actually plays and sounds pretty close to the Overton, the bell note low D on this whistle is as strong and maybe stronger than the Overton, you can knock the hell out of it if you want to.

3. Burkes. I have AlPro D, brass narrow bore blacktip D, and wide bore brass D. All different, all wonderful.

4. Hoovers. I have several of these, but my favorite has to be the low G which he made me from a beech wood board which has the mark left from a rusty nail around the R1 tone hole...this little discoloration of the wood adds a real touch of class to this wonderful whistle.

5. O'Brien nickel-plate copper Rover. Nice lovely whistle, the easiest second octave of any whistle I've played.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I won't number mine because... I can't seem to. I love all of the following whistles for different reasons:

- John Sindt, brass D: Simply a superb whistle.
- Green top Generation Folk Whistle, brass D: This one is special; I've known a few others who bought this model and they sounded nothing like mine (and I tried them myself).
- Cillian O'Briain Improved Feadog, brass D: Wonderful, strong whistle that has the same Feadog sound but allows you to push it a little more.
- Red top Generation, brass Bb: This is the second Gen Bb I purchased and, though I liked the others, it blows them right out of the water. I've never heard such a crisp Bb whistle, especially in a cheapie. Great character in this one.
- Irvine Tweaked Feadog, brass C: I typically don't go for whistles with a mellow tone but this one really pleased my ear. Such a beautiful and unique tone.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

1. Overton (Goldie) mezzo A - I just got it today and it is incredible! This will probably be my take everywhere whistle.
2. Overton (Goldie) low F - There are not enough hours in the day to play this.
3. Burke DBSBT (also love the DASBT and the Al C)
4. Walton Mellow D - various tweaks and a tube extention made this a favorite.
5. Gen Bb nickel - A really nice whistle

Only five allowed so I can't include the Susato B, Db, C and low F or the Water Weasel Bb, D, G or Feadog D/C
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

When I got my Reyburn D/C set. I gave away all of my other whistles. I don't play the C really (even though I love the sound) as I am a newbie and am concentrating on learning tunes in the "standard" keys.

Bottom Line:

1. Reyburn High D (session)

...john
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Only five? Whew, this ain't going to be easy.

In approximate order of how much I use them:

1. Dixon trad D. Clear, reliable, even volume throughout range, easy to play. (and cool looking)

2. Hoover ski pole low G. Probably my favorite sounding whistle--mellow, sweet, responsive, but punchy enough for tail-kicking fast tunes. Certainly my most unique looking. Probably my most indestructible as well.

3. Tweaked Clarke D. I cut my teeth on clarke whistles (not literally), and love the sound. This one is better in tune and more even dynamically than the non-tweaked version.

4. Hoover Juniper A. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Made from a tree branch picked up in my own beloved Wind River Mountains, which adds a lot of magic to an already magnificent whistle.

5. Low D's: Dixon non-tunable, and Hoover CRD (tie). The Dixon is more reliable, less prone to problems, and easier to play. The Hoover is tunable, and has the most interesting sound of any whistle I own: Reedy, complex, mysterious, almost oboe-like.

OK, so I cheated a bit. There you have it.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

1) Reyburn D/C Session set...see the recent Reyburn thread for my opinions. my go-to guys.
2) Thin Weasel A in rosewood. The best possible combination of craftsmanship and musical prowess. Breaking my heart to sell but I have to. Just listed on eBay this morning *sniffle*
3) Burke B it's sweet, mellow, and delightfully expressive
4) Burke alum Low F. Amazing versatility and playability...sounds darn nice too
5) Howard Low D all black. Dark and haunting, gritty and raw, purrs like a kitten(or flute) when she's warmed up.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

My #1 Favorite Sindt C
2 - Sindt Bb
3 - Sindt High D
4 - Sindt A
5 - Copeland Low D
6 - Burke DASBT

Love my Sindt Whistles!
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

A Reyburn Low D and an O'Briain improved Feadog D are the only whistles I play anymore. They're that great.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

1)Copperhead D (The one I made, not made by Gary Humphrey)
2)Water Weazel C
3)Kerry Chieftain Low D
4)Clarke Sweetone D
5)Shaw C
Last edited by JordanII on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

MK Low D and Low F.......Gorgeous, Easy, Strong, Excellent.

Copeland Low D and Low F.....Brassy-resonant, Powerful, Flexible.

B. Overton Low Eb.....Intimate, Earthy, Soulful.

Bunch of Burke Lows....Accessible, Comfortable, Wonderful.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?