Speaking of pirates...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

As I understand it pirates drank an awful lot. An eyepatch would serve to keep a plastered captain from seeing double which would be especially useful in a swordfight I would think.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I tend to agree with Doug's point that the patch could have helped with going into dim light and the pirate would be no worse off that he would have been without it going back into the sun. The article paulbrewer posted said that airplane pilots really did do this---so it seems possible other people might have thought of the idea too. I think the depth perception problem would be serious---perhaps they just flipped the patch up if it came down to hand-to-hand fighting. But it also isn't hard to imagine a lot of eye injuries. The article also said something about eyepatches being common among blacksmiths because they had a lot of eye injuries. There's a reason we wear goggles and safety glasses I suppose. Well, it's certainly an interesting idea.

I look at pirate pictures quite a lot, I'll have to be more observant about how many are wearing eyepatches in the first place. Still, even with old engravings in books which are intended to give a true account of pirates, you don't know how much of the picture (or the text) is based on accurate reporting and how much is based on imagination or rumor.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:I look at pirate pictures quite a lot,
Do you now, dear? :D
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
Well, yes, it's really very interesting. As you can see, neither of these two pirates has an eyepatch.
ImageImage
:wink:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hmmmm...

I never pictured pirates being so...pretty. :really:
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

Arrr, Jim, me lad, it be them long sea voyages, ya see?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Arrr, Jim, me lad, it be them long sea voyages, ya see?

djm
... yes, and whose turn it is to be in the barrel.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cynth wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Well, yes, it's really very interesting. As you can see, neither of these two pirates has an eyepatch.
ImageImage
That would be Cap'n Radley Firecrotch's dear brudder Geoffrey Firecrotch, a fierce-some pirate in his own right, on the left and Cap'n Firecrotch himself on the right. Note that Cap'n Radley is a special bargain at $3.99 ($5.99 Canadian).
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
djm wrote:Arrr, Jim, me lad, it be them long sea voyages, ya see?

djm
... yes, and whose turn it is to be in the barrel.
fresh water at sea is precious...

looks ta me like they've been invited to dine with the captain.
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:whose turn it is to be in the barrel
Hey, sailor, did you bring the talcum powder?

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
ImageImage
Ah, it's an academic interest you have! Coincidentally, I do, too.

Look closely at those two pirates. They're the same dude.

If you peruse the covers of romance genre novels, you will find the same hunkacious men appearing over and over. In fact, I have seen not only the same man, but the same picture of that man appearing on more than one cover.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:I have seen not only the same man, but the same picture of that man appearing on more than one cover.
Which only goes to show you have to catch him on a good (hunkacious) day. :wink:

djm
emmline

Post by emmline »

gonzo914 wrote:Note that Cap'n Radley is a special bargain at $3.99 ($5.99 Canadian).
I did note that. I also noted the lovely rosy cloudiness of the fiery pillaging occurring in the background.
Lethal explosives, Barbara Cartland style.

I would like to add that I don't believe Geoffrey has a convincingly business-like grip on that sword.

It may be worth pointing out that Radley can be had for .48¢ from Amazon...truly a bargain if you can get over $3.99 for s&m. I mean s&h.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

emmline wrote:I would like to add that I don't believe Geoffrey has a convincingly business-like grip on that sword.
He's also heading for a particularly rocky lee shore, with the wind gusting dangerously, judging by the way that sail is billowing in the wrong direction. And he seems to be perilously close to another vessel whose deck we can see behind him, a lot lower than the poop-deck he's standing on. And he's holding the basket-hilt of his sword in his right hand, whereas he is a left-hander, if he's wearing the sword on his right side. He's obviously distracted by something. I wonder what! :P
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:He's obviously distracted by something. I wonder what! :P
Perhaps his distraction is fueld by a fair maiden in distress...she has such a demure look about her, he's found himself suddenly distracted and enticed. He must save her! And yet, the code of the Pirate forbids such actions, for she is the sister of his mortal enemy...Captain Beauregard Blevinhouse (or just Chucky for short) . He knows this and yet he is sure that he must hang the code (for they're only guidelines anyway), and quite possibly put his very life in peril to save her life as she is ready before she plunges to her death off the end of the plank that she is bravely walking down. As she casts him an exceedingly mournful glance, he knows what he must do....save her life, and win her heart for she is truly his soul mate and he'd rather die than be separated from her for all eternity.

Either that, or the guy who did the picture is absolutely clueless as to such things as pirating :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.