zipskinny

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

zipskinny

Post by Dale »

Cool, for American citizens: www.zipskinny.com
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Way cool. I can see my house.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i added this to my favorites. my zip is doing way better than i thought.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Hah, my zip code is not in their database.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Ah-HAH! Population 6069---I KNEW there were more dogs or cattle or deer here than people!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

We have no Pacific islanders. I was afraid of that. :cry:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Kind of cool, I guess.
My brother-in-law knows a guy in Boulder, Colorado who--if you just toss a zip code at him, from anywhere in the U.S.--can name the area and most likely tell you something about it. Kind of a weird savant character.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

How does 24% below the poverty line compare with the U.S. average?
Reasonable person
Walden
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hmm.. mine nets a StandUp Comedy events calendar... ... which is good comedy ... must not know my zip area very well at all. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Walden wrote:How does 24% below the poverty line compare with the U.S. average?
Ouch. gives one pause... again...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Walden wrote:How does 24% below the poverty line compare with the U.S. average?
This census dept link from 2003 says about 12% of the country's population is below the line.
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www ... 02484.html

Keep in mind poverty in the U. S. is a relative measurement and was around $9,300 for a single person, $19,000 for a family of four.

This Wikipedia link has a list of countries for global poverty lines, which they define as families living on less than $2 USD a day ($720 per year) and the severely poor at less than $1 USD per day ($360 per year).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... in_poverty

To the 20% of the world that lives on $1 per day, the U.S. poverty level of $9000 per year is an unimaginable level of affluence.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My hometown is 35% below the poverty line, 97% white, and only 38% has a high school degree. I had read that my hometown (a small town in West Virginia) was one of the poorest in the nation, actually comparable to many third-world countries, but I'd never seen numbers like that before. It really brings it home.
Jack

Post by Jack »

BillChin wrote:To the 20% of the world that lives on $1 per day, the U.S. poverty level of $9000 per year is an unimaginable level of affluence.
I'm studying this in a socio-economics/religion class (it's a strange class) right now. What you're talking about is the phenomenon called relative poverty. To American families living on $9,000 a year, the poverty feels the same and has the same emotional, societal, and spiritual effects as the $1 per day poverty has on the Asian and African families.

Wikipedia's page on "poverty line" has more information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_li ... ve_poverty
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Cranberry wrote:
BillChin wrote:To the 20% of the world that lives on $1 per day, the U.S. poverty level of $9000 per year is an unimaginable level of affluence.
I'm studying this in a socio-economics/religion class (it's a strange class) right now. What you're talking about is the phenomenon called relative poverty. To American families living on $9,000 a year, the poverty feels the same and has the same emotional, societal, and spiritual effects as the $1 per day poverty has on the Asian and African families.

Wikipedia's page on "poverty line" has more information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_li ... ve_poverty
Though one major difference is that in the US at that income level there's much better security for basics like food, emergency medical care, etc.

Doesn't mean that being poor in the US is fun, at all.

But there's a big difference between being poor in the US, living in run down house or apartment, buying cheap bulk food with food stamps, and getting around by foot or bus, and being poor in Haiti or Bangladesh.

"Relative poverty" is a real phenomena. But I'd far rather be living in a first-world country at "lower-middle-class", or even "borderline-poverty" level and anything other than "wealthy" in most third-world countries.

And the lifestyle expectations and experiences for the current "lower-middle-class" in the US would have been "upper-middle-class" 50 years ago. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are.
Jack

Post by Jack »

We must keep in mind that there are many people living in the US at under $1 a day as well. We speak as though the "really, really poor" live only in other countries just out of reach of us when the truth is that the poor are everywhere.

Mother Teresa said many things about being poor, but one thing in particular has always stayed with me:
The Blessed Teresa of Calcutta wrote:When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed.
I would hope we all feel convicted every hour of every day by her words. Even ignoring the religious part entirely, her point (that we, those living in privilege, can and should do more to help the poor) is still true.